• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MKII TR

TCKev

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Houma,LA
Okay after reading all I can I'm ordering a TR from Savage Gunsmithing with the accurizing package. Got to decide on a scope though. I have an older Mueller 8X25 Tactical that is on a 10/22 that has done a descent job but the eye relief can give me fit's. I will probably put a 20 MOA picatinney base by Murphy on it and not sure of the rings. Probably end up painting it a different color, really like the GAP camo scheme. Also want to put a cheek weld on it. Just looking for opinion's

Re: MKII Tr

The whole package. What's your thought's do you love it hate it? I've never owned a Savage of any sort, the only other rifle I own is a 10/22. I own plenty of shotgun's and pistol's, I shoot LR with my pistol's.

I can't even express how much I love my MkII-TR! It's an incredibly accurate rifle and at a very low cost. I wish I would have bought a different model now that I know more about what I'm shooting but all in all I couldn't be ay happier. I actually bought the thing in place of the 700 in 308 Win that I so badly wanted but I made the right decision as I am not ready for the centerfire game yet. I'm basically going back to square one, openly accepting that I need to become a better shot, and practicing the heck out of the fundamentals and so far it's paying for itself. Do I miss the noise and recoil of the larger caliber? Sure, but I love shooting 100+ rounds per range trip as well and paying so much less than I was to do it with a centerfire.

I will continue to learn off of this rifle untill I'm ready to move up in calibers. Untill then I have already noticed a strong addiction to the rimfire arena. I used to mainly hang out over in the Bolt Action Rifles section here and visit other forums very often, but in small time. Now I'm pretty much always in the rimfire or advanced marksmanship unit here or over at rimfirecentral learning stuff there or any number of other places trying to soak up any and all info I can to better myself as a shooter.

All in all I couldn't be any happier. It will serve you very well, and i have no doubt about that. Plus, it'll teach you things that will carry over to higher caliber weapon shooting as well which just keeps adding to the awsomness of rimfire!!

I picked up an EGW 20 MOA base for the longer distance shots i'll be making someday, in addition to Burris XTreme Tactical Rings, and a Super Sniper 10x42mm fixed power scope. So far I've got nothing but great reviews for the producs I've purchased. I also inherited a Harris 6-9" bi-pod that I use almost religeously for bench and prone shooting. I refuse to use a rear support though, so no help there.

These guns perform very well with many types of ammo. Match ammo is going to get you the best results though. I am not quite capable of shooting at the rifles quality level yet so I will be shooting Wolf Match Target ($5 per box of 50) which is usually a great ammo, cheap, and also accurate which makes it a shooters favorite among mudget minded people. Other than that, I have used Eley ammo with incredible results. I'm not the best shot but this stuff definatly made up for alot of my lack of accuracy and in a big way. It may be expensive (the high end stuff) but it's well worth it if you are capable of keeping up with the rifle.

There is tons and tons of info here about these rifles and ammo and proper shooting and anything else you can think of. Plus, there are many people, very nice and well learned people, who are willing to help you. Do some searching arounf and I'm sure you won't be displeased.

Hope this helps,
-Dylan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCKev64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay after reading all I can I'm ordering a TR from Savage Gunsmithing with the accurizing package. Got to decide on a scope though. I have an older Mueller 8X25 Tactical that is on a 10/22 that has done a descent job but the eye relief can give me fit's. I will probably put a 20 MOA picatinney base by Murphy on it and not sure of the rings. Probably end up painting it a different color, really like the GAP camo scheme. Also want to put a cheek weld on it. Just looking for opinion's </div></div>

I too am looking at getting the MK II TR, would you mind very much if I asked how much the Savage Gunsmithing price is for the rifle+accurizing package?