• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mlok covers for XLR chassis? (Hunting)

Dr. Davy Jones

After those 1st round hits
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2020
Maine
Hi all, hoping to hear from people who hunt with their XLR chassis in the cold and are more ingenious than me.

I’ve got an Element Gen 2 (with mlok slots) that I love but I had an issue last year with the fore-end freezing to my pant leg while sitting (lol welcome to Maine). I currently have BCM mlok panels on it, but they’re not wide enough and really don’t solve the problem. (See photo)

Has anyone found some wider mlok covers that do a better job covering the aluminum? Or devised another solution?

I searched for a while and found these, not sure they’d fit well but might buy them and see how they do….

https://centurionarms.com/mlok-handguard-rail-cover-3-pack/

BCM mlok panels…⬇️

14064D8A-175E-47D4-B59B-6B976CC2FBD0.jpeg

Kind of a wrap thing that goes around the forearm.

Reactions: Dr. Davy Jones
Like that precision underground setup. Big nylon/cordura sleeve deal that wraps the whole forearm. They will custom tailor it to your specs too.

I would make sure it's a material that won't absorb water as you know, the whole thing will be a giant ice cube. Slip a bicycle inner tuber over it, paint it as it appears you like paint.
Other than that, type 2 Magpuls would work fine

You make a good point about absorption. I wonder how effective waxing or dwr treatment would be.

I think for your use, the Magpul type 2's might be the option. Although they could still get wet and freeze to your clothes, etc. But highly unlikely. If you are getting that wet, I would be concerned more so with my rifle action, etc.

Reactions: Dr. Davy Jones
Railscales makes some, but they are expensive!

I think for your use, the Magpul type 2's might be the option. Although they could still get wet and freeze to your clothes, etc. But highly unlikely. If you are getting that wet, I would be concerned more so with my rifle action, etc.
Haha yeah. The issue was a river crossing on that day to get to my spot. Had risen much higher than when I scouted.
Ended well though.
2A608401-01D2-4F27-9B82-DC3B871E9488.jpeg
8B9E8C46-CCF8-4005-BA67-40B8A8C9F52A.jpeg

Get a piece of Kydex and form it to the shape of the forearm.
If done properly it should snap in place.
Sounds like a plan, form indents in the slots. Guess you could always make vent holes also.