• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes MOA and INCHES - moving from paper to steel

CaptainH

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Ohio
I have been primarily a paper puncher for the past few years and once you get your elevation it is primarily a game of windage and fundamentals. Moving to steel out to 1,100 yards plus has put a new challenge into my shooting and I am having some problems. I know the velocity of my rounds and I am shooting sub 1/2 MOA groups at 100. I run the ballistics tables to get my data for the day and now even have a progam on my Android. This is all well and good and I am very consistant with hits out to 400 - 500 yards. Beyond that the spotter (who is very good) is telling me that I am 1, 2, 3 Minutes high. The farther out the more over the target I am shooting.

During the mid day break at last Sunday's match I went to the 100 yard sight in range and started with 1 MOA hitting 1 inch high at 100 yards. The MOA and Inches correlated well until I got up to putting on 7 - 8 MOA. Then I started to see the bullet impact increase. When I got to 10 MOA I was hitting 11.5" inches high. When I got to 15 MOA I was hitting 17" high.

I know that a MOA is ~ 1.047 inches. Doing the math would incidate that my scope is making adjustments in inches higher than the MOA on the elevation dial. Am I approaching this correctly?

I went to the range today with another gun / scope and different caliber and experienced a similar set of results.

thanks for your comments and advice.

Re: MOA and INCHES - moving from paper to steel

New Bushnell 6500 Elite Tactical with mil dot reticle

A buddy of mine is using the same scope and his actual CLICK adjustment is more than the 1/4" or MOA they have labeled. We did a tracking test to figure it out but his was closer to .275 or higher. I can remember for sure.

Short distance = not as noticeable!

Long distance = error multiplies!

I would do a test with the scope to see what your adjustments actually are.

Good luck!

You have to calibrate your scope among other things with a ballistic computer. Assuming your scope adjusts as written is a mistake.

Scopes rarely adjust in MOA,the companies don't use the .047. And assuming they built it correctly is another mistake.

At distance proper environmental factors become important, as well as things like the correct muzzle velocity. A break down of the steps you've taken to gather the data would help.

How do you know what your muzzle velocity is? Have you chronographed the ammo with your rifle?

Also, as others have suggested, do a tracking test against the reticle, or a spotting scope with a reticle, and see if the scope is adjusting in the correct increments.

As stated earlier, you need to check your scope as you've started to do. There is alot of talk about running a box test on your optics (no matter who the manufacture is) to verify that the scope is actually tracking to the desired amount of movement.

I do this at 50 yards so I can check the ENTIRE amount of movement in the scope. At 50, you basically get double the ajustment. I have a custom 22 that I pull out for this duty. I run the scope starting where I am going to zero it all the way up to my maximum adjustment. I will usually go 10 moa left and right as well.

Make sure when you make your target that you take into account that 1 moa = 1.047" as you are already aware of.

When it's all said and done, you still need a dope chart when shooting matches. Even though your calculator say to dial 7 moa, if you know it only takes 5.5 moa then, dial it and don't worry about the error. If the scope is repeatable, thats all that really matters when shooting steel.