• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MOA and/or MIL

ericf

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
texas gulf coast (Pasadena)
I am probably over thinking this, but I need to ask. Since both MOA and MIL scaled scopes are ranged estimated or scaled based on a specific magnification that is usually marked on the scope, is it possible to actually change the scaled magnification measurements from one to the other simply by re-ranging a known distance to a new scale factor and noting it on the scope used?
Humm, I guess what I'm asking is can MOA be used as MIL by re-calculating the magnification factor to coincide with the other? Sure it may mean that you may have to use a magnif of 10 instead of 12 to correctly match the MIL scale?
I hope I'm being clear here.
I'm confused now

Re: MOA and/or MIL

Technically on a SFP you could, BUT, since 1 Mil is 3.4 (or 3.6) MOA then if your MilDot is 1 Mil per dot @ 10x then you'd have to crank the thing up to 34x for 1 dot to = 1 MOA. Not really a practical solution. I don't know of anyone putting MOA reticles with Mil based turrets, so the supplementary problem isn't even relevant.

With a GenII based MilDot (with 0.5 mil ticks) I guess you could technically almost do it @ 17x, but I don't know of anyone who makes a 10x accurate SFP that will go up to 17x much less someone who includes an enhanced reticle with it. Even then you're talking about pretty vague shades of accuracy so forget about ranging anything that actually needs accurate ranging (something more than "guess short, aim at neck, pull trigger.")

Easier just to memorize a little math or buy a matched scope.

Well, double and half should work if correct. Easier to get a FFP scope or know what setting you need to work with and range at that. Don't need much ranging at say 100m so just shoot there. At longer ranges, you would have time. I picked up a FFP with matching turrets, it is really sweet, if you have the cash. Mark, turn, shoot. It's just that easy. Second rounds are really sweet with those scopes.
Chad

Sounds like:
twister.jpg

Well said LL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like:
twister.jpg
</div></div>

Eggzactly.
But perhaps the question was meant to be hypothetical just so he could make sure he understood the relationship between Mil/MOA and magnification/SFP...

Yes it was more "hypothetical" than actual use. I have three NF's in MOA and One Nikon MIL. I just began to ponder the option of "would it work" just to simplify things. However, after reading the reply from "ratbert", I think a chart on the side of the butt would support the KISS theory with greater efficiency.

NF with the NPR1 reticle can be dialed down until the 2moa spacing covers 1mil. Mark magnification ring at that point and you're good to go (about 8.75X for 3-15).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ericf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it was more "hypothetical" than actual use. I have three NF's in MOA and One Nikon MIL. I just began to ponder the option of "would it work" just to simplify things. However, after reading the reply from "ratbert", I think a chart on the side of the butt would support the KISS theory with greater efficiency. </div></div>

I went through the same dilemma. I ended up selling all of my scope and standardized on a mil/mil scope. Life is much easier now.
eek.gif

The answer to Shane45 question about Nikon Mil, well, I went and looked at the scope and now have another question. This is something I assumed, (flog me later), why do scope manufacturers place Mildot reticles in Tactical scopes , but place MOA adjustment knobs? Do I range in MIL's or MOA's? Are the dots MOA spacing or MIL?
I need to find the manual.