• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA base versus MOA scope mount

SdotW

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2022
United States
I picked up a ACC Elite Chassis and a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27, as well as some other things. I am working on my first long range rifle.

The last three things I need is an action, barrel, and scope mount. I plan to learn how to take it out farther and farther. Ultimately, it would be awesome if I can eventually take it out to 1000 yards one day. I'm learning about MOA and I now understand that I'm going to need it.

My question is, Which of the following is best?

20 moa on the TL3 action, and a 0 MOA Spuhr mount.
0 moa on the TL3 action and a 20 MOA Spuhr mount.
20 moa on the TL3 action and a 20 MOA spuhr mount.

Reactions: Enigmo
Try get the most elevation much as possible. Total travel elevation of you scope divided by 2 then add your scope base + scope mount moa. Then match the closest of the total scope elevation.

Reactions: SdotW
If it were me and I was to do it over again I would probably got 30 moa tl3 base and 20 moa spuhr mount or just go 30 moa base and 0 spuhr mount just make sure you don’t go past the last 4% of your elevation because I’ve heard that’s when things can go wrong is if your completely bottomed out of elevation.

Reactions: SdotW
I’d go 20 in the action and 0 in the mount.

To just get to 1k yards you wouldn’t even need 20 on the action, it just doesn’t hurt. But still keeps you in the middle ish of the scope travel range.