• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA click adjustment questions

Nate2022

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2022
New Mexico
Hello fellow members. I have 2 questions regarding help on click adjustments for two different scopes.
1st question is how to adjust a 2 MOA scope? If I were hitting an inch high and an inch to the right of the bullseye, how many clicks would I need to adjust the scope for both elevation and windage so that it's on or near bullseye? Have never dealt with a 2 MOA scope which is a friends. Please include easy formula to make click adjustments if possible.

2nd question is I have a Vortex Sonora scope that is in 1/4 adjument graduation. I want my scope sighted in at 200 yards. I am almost near the bullseye with my last shot placement but hitting directly 1 inch high above the bullseye. I did not have my cross hair directly centered on the bullseye. Had the 200 yard hash mark on there instead and hit high. Without compromising the shot, how many clicks would I need to adjust to be on target? Using a gun rest to sight in my rifles and for the most part I am able to have good grouping. The problem is when I start sighting in at longer ranges is when it starts becoming challenging. Need to learn the basic formulas to know how many clicks I need to be on target. Please include formula as well for both the 2 MOA and 1/4 MOA. Thank you and look forward to any responses.

P.S.
Picture attached is for the 1/4 MOA scope which is exactly 1 inch high. But keep in mind as I stated that I had the 200 yard hash mark on bullseye when shot. Did not have the cross hair directly on bullseye.

Attachments

• 20220617_115130.jpg
    20220617_115130.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 59
As for your 200 yard target if you come down 1/2 moa and use the same point of aim that would put that round on target

We’d need to know more about the first question. What do to mean 2 moa scope?

1 moa is roughly 1” at 100 yds, 2” at 200 etc for reference

Thank you for the response. So my friend has a leoupold scope that is a 2 MOA adjument graduation. It's a notched scope as opposed to the click adjustment scope. Challenging on using those type of scopes as the more common are 1/4 or 1/2. So I'm not necessarily looking for 1/2 inch responses going down or up. I'm needing how many clicks would I need to be on target? Same goes for my second question on my 1/4 adjustment graduation.

With a 2 MOA adjustment on the older scope and being 1" high at 100 yards is as good as you will get, 1 click down will put it 1" low.
hafejd30 gave you the answer on the 200 yard target, come down 1/2 MOA i.e. 2 clicks.

Never mind the finer points.
What you need to grasp is basic moa. (1.047) at 100 yards.

Just call it one inch at 100.
Two inches at 200 3 inches at 300.
At a thousand 10 inches is 1 moa. (10.47)

So your divisions are normaly 1/4 1/3 1/2 1 in most cases.

At 50 yards 1 moa is 1/2 inch.

Easy math done on fingers.

Your 2 moa scope?
Is it possible you have a 2moa dot scope and actual adjustments are something more standard.

Also your "hash marks" are they hold over caliber specific or graduated in moa?

Last edited:
Watch this video by Ryan Cleckner on youtube to understand MOA. Its about 12 years old but probably still the best youll find on youtube and easy to understand.
It will answer all your questions on what your adjustments do at any given range and how to figure it all out.

The other posters that replied gave the correct info on 1/2 MOA (2 clicks for a 1/4 MOA turret) for 1" drop at 200 yds.
If you watch that video youll understand easily why this is the case.

Watch:

Reactions: Jay Martinez
These days any scope for use over 300 yards for me is got to be mil.

Took this old guy a while to convert.

I remember a quote from the old days.

Mil "that's that crap artillery uses on foreign countries because thier maps are in klicks". Lol