• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA from lightweight 16" AR barrel?

RingSteel

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2004
Katy, TX
I've got a heavy AR15 upper (.223)that I'm really pleased with, and now I'm wanting to build a lightweight upper. which barrel would you recommend that is lightweight, .223, and still can produce MOA accuracy?

Re: MOA from lightweight 16" AR barrel?

Agreed WOA are kick ass accurate,But thats not a light weight contour.. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will do MOA and is a lot less $$. Built one upper on this barrel a few weeks ago; got it broke in, now need to wring it out with a good optic.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17568&cat=250&page=2 </div></div>

The rainier select 16" isn't super heavy.

edit: there was a 169$ daniel defense carbine barrel on sale at midway awhile back it had decent reviews. I wouldn't expect more than about 1.5 out of any light chromed barrel though.

Centurion Arms with good ammo can shoot MOA. Profile is between a Government and Pencil. I would think the Wilson Combat would shoot better but it depends what your intended use is going to be (chrome lined vs stainless).

stripped 16" barrel weighs 26.1 ounces
low profile gas block weighs 1.9 ounces

I can hold moa with a stock stag arms 16" bbl. But it is free floated, a buddy of mine has a 16"bbl in his dome (not chromelined) and he is sub moa. Depends on the shooter too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed WOA are kick ass accurate,But thats not a light weight contour.. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will do MOA and is a lot less $$. Built one upper on this barrel a few weeks ago; got it broke in, now need to wring it out with a good optic.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17568&cat=250&page=2 </div></div> </div></div>

At least light enough for me and what I want to do with it. Yea the Noveske is lighter. BFD.

He didnt ask about medium or Recon Profile.Thats why I wrote what i did,Not trying to have a show down,I have RECON and SPR with 11,200 rounds threw the barrel they work for me to.I have some Pet loads for WOA barrels if you need some..<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed WOA are kick ass accurate,But thats not a light weight contour.. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will do MOA and is a lot less $$. Built one upper on this barrel a few weeks ago; got it broke in, now need to wring it out with a good optic.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17568&cat=250&page=2 </div></div> </div></div>

At least light enough for me and what I want to do with it. Yea the Noveske is lighter. BFD.

</div></div>

I see your point; maybe I have something different at home as I think there may be an error on his web site right now. Will check it when I get there.

Per these specs below, yes the one in the link is heavy.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/515711_.html&page=1

All good on 223 loads. Thanks for the offer.

Gotta remember - this one is "normal" for me, plus I add another 1.5 pounds to it!

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17562&cat=250&page=1

One mans Light weight is another mans Heavy,I understand where you stand...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see your point; maybe I have something different at home as I think there may be an error on his web site right now. Will check it when I get there.

Per these specs below, yes the one in the link is heavy.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/515711_.html&page=1

All good on 223 loads. Thanks for the offer.

Gotta remember - this one is "normal" for me, plus I add another 1.5 pounds to it!

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17562&cat=250&page=1 </div></div>

Thanks for the great input. To clarify, I'm looking to build a lightweight bug-out carbine. I guess I'm addicted to the sub-moa accuracy that my heavy upper gives me - but it's way too heavy for a toting gun.

Pencil barrel is what I'm thinking about... is MOA a pipe-dream in the pencil thin barrels?

The barrel contour has nothing to do with accuracy, but rather how fast your barrel will heat up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel contour has nothing to do with accuracy, but rather how fast your barrel will heat up. </div></div>

fwiw, Molon posted this a while back. I can't find the original post to see what shooting conditions these were shot at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Molon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30-shot composite groups fired from 100 yards using match-grade ammunition. YMMV.</div></div>
h9jeod1yjx.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RingSteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is MOA a pipe-dream in the pencil thin barrels? </div></div>

No. However with accurate "light" barrels your groups will grow faster than with a heavier barrel.

Why do you care if it's 1MOA or 1.5-2MOA if it's a "bugout" carbine? I have a 762x54R PSL that shoots 1.5MOA on a good day and I don't have much problem ringing a 1foot wide steel plate at 500-600 yards. Pretty much any carbine barrel free floated with decent ammunition should perform just as well. Not much reason to ask for more than that form a "bugout carbine."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you care if it's 1MOA or 1.5-2MOA if it's a "bugout" carbine? </div></div>

It's true that it doesn't need to be 1MOA, but since I'm building a new one it would be really nice if I could pick a barrel that would allow that level of accuracy for at least the first couple of shots. Head shots on zombies... bwaahahhaaaa.

I consistently get sub-moa results from my Scar's skinny pencil barrel.

My colt 6920 (no mods) has been surprisingly accurate. I'd have never expected it to shoot as well as it does. It is easily in line with the results above. I know of two other 6920's (owned by family members) that shoot just as well too. Unless you're just wanting to build a rifle, I'd just look at getting a 6920 and being done with it.

I own a DD LW mid length 16" hammer forged. It is fairly accurate for a LW chrome lined barrel. Haven't done real accuracy testing with it as I don't intend for it to be a bench gun. I would guess 1.5 MOA with match grade ammo. I have it in a VTAC Extreme (similar to Troy Extreme) 11" rail and it is a super light handy package.

I also own the Centurion 16" LW mid length that was listed earlier. This is a phenomenal chrome lined barrel. It is sub MOA with my hand loads. This is essentially the same barrel used on Noveske's N4's (good barrel too if you can find one parted out). If I were to recommend one barrel for an AR, it would be the Centurion. It is not a true LW sort of a hybrid between gov't and pencil/LW. I have this mounted in a 12" DD Lite and it is feels lighter than a gov't profile in the same configuration but no where near as light as my DD LW (rail is part of the weight difference).

Diemaco (now Colt Canada) had 14.5" pencil barrel C8's for some time in the Canadian Forces - with good ammo and a FF tube on them they would be sub-moa, however when hot they wandered badly, and with a suppressor they strung very badly.

They have since gone to 16" heavier profile guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diemaco (now Colt Canada) had 14.5" pencil barrel C8's for some time in the Canadian Forces - with good ammo and a FF tube on them they would be sub-moa, however when hot they wandered badly, and with a suppressor they strung very badly.

</div></div>

At what temperature do you consider the barrel to be HOT?

Wilson combat Just sent me there 1-9 556 Recon 16" Mid Fluted barrel and its looks Nice ! 37 OZ before being fluted I will ring 500 rounds OF LOT TEST 75match threw it this weekend from 100-750 yards..

I know its Not a light weight,But if its a shooter there light weight model(27 OZ) may be worth a look..?

Thanks for the input. I'm looking into the Centurion barrels right now.

I hadn't thought about including a lightweight forend to the equation to help keep weight down also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diemaco (now Colt Canada) had 14.5" pencil barrel C8's for some time in the Canadian Forces - with good ammo and a FF tube on them they would be sub-moa, however when hot they wandered badly, and with a suppressor they strung very badly.

</div></div>

At what temperature do you consider the barrel to be HOT? </div></div>

Not being able to touch it without feeling discomfort is hot enough for a stainless barrel. Chrome lined barrels can tolerate a little more.

A pencil or lightweight profile barrel will heat up faster but also cool off faster than a heavier contour barrel which takes longer to heat up but also longer to dissipate that heat.

I think I see the OP's point with this type of a build. You see, zombies don't respond to suppressive fire - they just keep on coming, undeterred. Therefore, if you are to stop them, well placed shots are essential.

As they generally travel in packs and come at you in waves, the ability to pick them off in a precise manner allows you to conserve ammo.

I'm thinking yea, MOA out of a lightweight barrel is a great idea.

OP, are you Mayan?

I built a lightweight upper for a coyote rifle a few years ago on a Rock bbl. I turned it down to 18" with a .675" gas block and tapered the barrel under the free float tube (RRA mid-length). It's about the lightest I've made and it honestly suprised me with 3/4 - 1 MOA accuracy. Shoots very well for the weight and is handy as hell calling coyotes in the midwest.

You ant Kidin,Every one is going Fing ZOMBIE crazy,WTF is up ? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I see the OP's point with this type of a build. You see, zombies don't respond to suppressive fire - they just keep on coming, undeterred. Therefore, if you are to stop them, well placed shots are essential.

As they generally travel in packs and come at you in waves, the ability to pick them off in a precise manner allows you to conserve ammo.

OP, are you Mayan? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You ant Kidin,Every one is going Fing ZOMBIE crazy,WTF is up ? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I see the OP's point with this type of a build. You see, zombies don't respond to suppressive fire - they just keep on coming, undeterred. Therefore, if you are to stop them, well placed shots are essential.

OP, are you Mayan? </div></div> </div></div>

No idea, I actually started shopping at a store that's a little more expensive than anyone else in town (but has a very good selection) just to avoid the zombie talk that plagues the other 3.

Also for the OP, you will get heat stringing but remember that the lightweight profile will also cool much faster than its heavyweight counterpart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diemaco (now Colt Canada) had 14.5" pencil barrel C8's for some time in the Canadian Forces - with good ammo and a FF tube on them they would be sub-moa, however when hot they wandered badly, and with a suppressor they strung very badly.

</div></div>

At what temperature do you consider the barrel to be HOT?</div></div>
1 mag rapid - or two to three mags slow fire deliberate.

Generally they group quite nicely if you fire a 5-10 rd group.
If you fire a 5 rds group - then a mag very quickly - then another 5 rd group you will see your group open up a fair amount.