• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report MOA measurement?

FF_T_Warren

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Louisiana, United States
First off, Im sure this is on here somewhere but I couldnt find it on the search.

When shooting, how do you measure the group size? I know at 100 yards that will be the MOA which is what I want to know. Do I measure from middle to middle on holes, or do I go outside to outside? I read on google search but everyone seemed to have a different answer. obviously I need to measure the farthest distance of the group but what area of the hole do I measure. and if the holes are touching how do I measure it?

Thanks for the advice in advance

Re: MOA measurement?

Measuring groups is done center of hole to center of hole, although in principle you get the same number is you measure outside to outside and then subtract bullet width.

Note: The above is how you measure when trying to HIT something. If you are also trying to MISS something else at the same time, you add the caliber of the bullet not subtract it.

Are you asking what the MOA is at each range or what your gun is actually performing? The general rule is that 1 MOA is equal to 1 inch at 100 yds, 2" @ 200yds, 3" at 300 yds etc. So if you are zeroing at 100 yds, and your group is 0.5 inch on center then you are shooting 1/2 MOA with your rifle. If you are shooting 2" at 100 yds then you are grouping 2MOA.

If you already know that and just want to be sure that you're measuring correctly, then I agree with the guys above. Another way to think about on center is from "inside edge to outside edge." This is the same as "outside to outside minus bullet diameter" but without the math. If you put a ruler across the two holes like connect the dots, start at the inside of the one on the left and go to the outside of the one on the right. Of course, you guys that shoot holes that touch are stuck doing math. But if the holes are touching you probably did a lot of calculating before the shot anyway, so what's a little more, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.ontargetshooting.com/ </div></div>

+1

This is the coolest way to go and it's free!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fireman9143</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But if the holes are touching you probably did a lot of calculating before the shot anyway, so what's a little more, right? </div></div>

That's why I shoot all my groups into one ragged hole (I was never very good at math)
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

MOA is a measurement of an angle. One minute is one-sixtieth of one degree.

For each 100 yards, one minute(MOA) equals 1.047". May not sound like a big difference, but it can be at long range.