• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MOA/MOA and SFP: Recommendations?

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
I realize that MIL/MIL and FFP is the hot ticket now. But, after carefully considering how I will actually use the scope, I've determined that MOA/MOA and SFP will suit me better.

Much as I enjoy tactical matches, I've got too many years and surgeries behind me to run around the courses. So the scope will be used for local long-range matches, long-range varminting, and possibly F-class. My goal is to be able to consistently hit an IPSC target at 1,000 yards.

I would like as much magnification available as possible, along with side-focus and tactical turrets. This does rule out the strictly target Nightforce scopes.

I have a budget of $2,000.

It *looks* like my best choices are:

- Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 with MOAR reticle

- Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 (stretches the budget more than I'd like, but it might be better to scream just once)

- Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50mm (But the Multi-X reticle doesn't have holdover marks, and the ones on the DOA 600 reticle look to be a bit coarse.)

- Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 (MOA) (Has a couple good reticle choices but is a little short on the magnification.)

- Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 (But I would be a little concerned about the optical quality considering it's $1,000 or so less than the others. My eyes are *not* what they used to be.)

Comments from those who have used any of these?

Am I missing any?

Thank you,
Richard

Re: MOA/MOA and SFP: Recommendations?

I like the MOAR reticle in my NF 5.5-22x. I use it for F-Class matches at 600 yards. It's a little thick though. The NP-R1 reticle is thinner. Looks like NF site has the thickness of the MOAR lines at .14 MOA and the NP-R1 at .0625 MOA. Thicker reticle covers up a little more at the longer ranges, but is easier on the eyes.

I have an IOR 3-18 MOA/MOA SFP that has worked very well, for more magnification IOR makes a 6-24 MOA/MOA SFP model for around $1,600.

I just picked up a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 with MOAR reticle. It;s going on a 338 Win Mag barrel for my LRS2. Trying to set it up as a poor man's 338 Lapua rig.

Very impressed with this scope so far. Been too cold to wring it out much, but I will be as soon as possible.

I can't find anything I don't like about this set up. Yes, the reticle is a bit thick, but should not be a problem for hitting steel like we do out to 1500.

I've used 3 of the 5 scopes you have listed above and by far the Nightforce with MOAR is my favorite. Don't worry about the reticle thickness as I have used it on steel out to 2100 yards and it does just fine. I'm sure a lot of people are going to chime in on the Vortex PST and talk about how it's great for the money and the customer service is awesome. I can't argue that the customer service is great, but the reason everybody knows this is because more than half of them have had to use it. I went 0 for 3 with the PST line as I had to send back 2 of them, 1 of them twice. I'm sure lots of people will disagree with me on that but of all the Vortex owners I know, 6 of 6 have had to send them back for something in one way, shape or form. Take that how you want. My recommendation is the NF.

I have both the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 with a MOAR reticle and the Sightron Slll with the MOA-2 reticle. The reticles are very similar. I like both scopes. The glass on both is very good. For the price ($650) the Sightron is a very good buy, but it is not the scope the NF is. I bought mine with zero stop and HS knobs model C433 at RedHawk Rifles for $1725 shipped.

I actually own every scope you mention (except my NXS 5.5-22 is the NP-R1) I can easily suggest the Razor as my top pick. That thing is an incredible scope. Either of the Nightforce scopes are greats second picks, but you get less features for your money. The PST and Elite 6500 aren't quite in the same arena as the NFs and the Razor in my opinion. Go either NF or Razor, but my vote is definitely for the Razor.

I would go with a nf 32x in n1 ret. with the 32x you get tons of magnification and you can still get it with the zero stop with the side focus. They are awesome scopes. I'm still kicking myself for selling it....

But I just got my viper pst in today, and it looks great. I'll throw it in some rings this week and try it out.

Nightforce is just a tough, strong scope. And if you get a used one, you will have money left over for more bullets....more fun

With a budget of $2000. you can find a brand new NF nxs 8-32x56 with a np-r1 reticle. Just bought one a few weeks ago..

As always, many thanks for the first-hand recommendations. It looks like my choices have been pared down to the Nightforce NXS series and the Vortex HD, with the Nightforce perhaps a bit ahead.

Cheers,
Richard

I would also highly recommend the Valdada 3.5-18x50 with MOA SFP Xtreme reticle. They also make a 6-24 with the same reticle if you want the extra magnification at the sacrifice of higher low end. But the optics and reticle in this scope are hard to beat for the price. Both under $2000.

The Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 with MOAR reticle would be my hands down favorite. I love the MOAR reticle.

I have the NF NXS 5.5-22X50 with the NPR1 reticle and love it. I have been looking at the Atacr for my next purchase but like bk ghandi said the lines are quite a bit thicker. I've been looking through my friends MOAR reticle and am having a hard time deciding myself. I do like the way the MOAR reticle is broken down though, they just need to make the lines a little thinner and I would be sold.