• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA or MRAD is one better than the other?

mvaldez1783

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
When I started getting into precision rifles I learned how to use MOA. Would it be an advantage to learn how to use a MRAD scope or should I stick to using MOA?

Listen to the Everyday Sniper podcast on podbean. Frank aka lowlight covers this topic in episode 8.

Listen to the Everyday Sniper podcast on podbean. Frank aka lowlight covers this topic in episode 8.

Exactly this. And subscribe to the podcast if you haven't already, it's free and well worth your time!

Where is the Everyday Sniper Podcast Thread? I am not seeing it on new format.

Or do I just have to utilize Podbean for access now?

My brain works in inches, feet and yards. It's what I learned, but i definitely see some benefits to mil, and I'm trying to change my ways. Problem is I have to kinda convert in my head. I'd probably be better off just to stick with moa and not being one of the cool kids.

i agree with Sheldon N. i went MOA mainly because everyone i shoot with is using MOA so we all speak the same language and can share info easier

Then there is always how you speak the language... spotting and chatting like Sorority girls and you’ll miss the wind ;)

Just depends on how you look at it, which boils down to personal preference. The pros and cons for each are negligible at the end of the day. Example, .1 Mil scopes will be beneficial for PRS style shooting with yet to be determined distances with larger targets and a .25 MOA scope would be beneficial on known distances with smaller targets or the mechanics of a .1 mil system are easy to understand while the a .25 MOA system requires a little more thought leaving room for error. Nevertheless, the differences are almost, if not, immaterial.

just two different languages, like french vs spanish. they both get the exact same things done. but if most of your friends spoke spanish, that prob is the language you should use/learn. if most of your squad mates have mil scopes and mil spotters, then you'd be better off getting a mil scope. so when they say you're a mil left, you can hold a mil right and get that hit.

moa v mil also doesn't matter if you're seeing your own shots. if you hit one hash mark to the left on one target, you know you have to hold one hash mark to the right on the next shot to center punch it. doesn't matter if that hash mark is a mil or moa.

if everyone has mil and you have moa, just ask your buddies to call shots in relation to the target (eg, half a target left) and that makes it easy to do corrections irrespective of which system you have.

Reactions: kRcu
Man this keeps going in circles..

Firstly, sure you should be squared up to see you own shots.. Secondly if your buddy is spotting, they should be calling corrections only.. you want to get your corrected shot off quickly in the same wind.

As an example if you were at 600 m, elevation 3.1 left .5 the person spotting should have their reticle in that position. Rather than tell you where you missed, they simply call the total correction. If the shot elevation was good but you missed right still, the communication simply might be “left 1.5” That included the original .5 mill L

If your calling were your buddy missed, you're only doing part of the job and the corrections will always be slower.

Back to speed, it is almost always faster when well past 1k to make and look over to verify turret changes with a 10 based mill scope.

PS to add - I get that in some match settings you can only call the POI.

Last edited: