• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

moa scope mounts?

BeEzLeBoSs

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2012
When people say something like "get 20 moa scope mounts." what does that mean?

Whats the difference between say...10 moa and 20 moa scope mounts? I know what moa means, but only in terms of shooting. I dont see how these 2 are related..

Lol

Thanks!

Re: moa scope mounts?

it is a canted scope base. the back of the base is higher than the front by the 10, 20, 30 MOA. This forces you to dial down to zero the scope at 100 yrds lets say, and therefore you have more UP travel in the scope to dail in long ranges. Without this you could run out of scope adjustment before you could dail in your DOPE for 1000, 1100, 1200 etc.

Ok cool, I see now. Makes sense.

I'll be picking up a RRA LAR-8 varmint 20" before too long hopefully, I'm looking to do some 1000 yard shooting with, what would be the best moa scope mount to get for say 100-1000 yards?

Welcome to The Hide. The general idea is that by canting the base forward that you can make sure that the optic can be adjusted to your maximum range with out running out of elevation. Please note that not all optics have the same range of adjustment so that will affect your decision. Also note that as you reach the limits of elevation adjustment that you usually lose some windage adjustment. Ideally with the scope dialed for the range you shoot at most of the time the reticle would be centered as thats where the sweet spot is in the lens. If you choose to not spin the dials after zeroing and instead use the reticle for windage and elevation you may not need any cant. There was a detailed discussion of this a while back and the search engine may find it for you.

Thanks guys, that helps. I'll be sure to search for it on the search engine. I'm some what new to the longer ranged bigger caliber rifles. I own a Bushmaster AR-15 and thats really the only thing i have been shooting lately. That and glocks. I'm trying to start getting into "sniping" so I'm researching as much as possible before I make any permanant and possibly pricy desisions.

I appreciate the help, this is a great forum when searching for knowledge related to this stuff.