• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mobile relaoding bench

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guy,
I just got my Forster Co Ax and I'm ready to mount it to my work bench but I need some flexibility. I need a way to be able to take the press and other supporting gear on the road with me.

My 1000y range is about 3 to 3.5 hours away so when I'm ready to start testing my loads it's not very practical to drive 3.5 hours to test a few different batches and just come back 3 hours just make a few changes.
So I want to be able to take the press and other stuff on the road with me and make any changes to my rounds either at the back of my truck or at the hotel later that night. This way i can maximize my trip and get a lot more done over the whole weekend.

I'm sure some of you guys are very ingenious with this stuff so I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks
R.

Re: mobile relaoding bench

Mount it to a portable tool stand with bolts (dismount the press in transit and re-assemble it at destination. You can move the press in a Tuff Box or Tupperware wrapped in open-cell or egg-crate foam):

image_16928.jpg

Great for portability and wide enough for stability on a concrete floor. I used one for most of my military career knowing we'd move every two to three years (or more often), or for apartment bachelors and renters. Put the press on a long side and powder drop on the narrow side. There's room for bullets and a beam scale, maybe a trimmer if you use C-clamps.

I added one of these and it's really easy to move.

I just made a separate bracket because I am not using a Lee Press.

lee%20reloading%20stand.jpg

I havent' found the need to use a concrete block, but I suppose you can.

A Black & Decker workmate might be handier than the previous type portable benches.

I know one individual who has his press on a ~6' piece of 2x12. He has mounts bolted into his truck bed for the 2x12, and a bench at home that it mounts to in the same manner. He has a toneau(sp) cover over his bed that clears his press when it is mounted. IIRC, he also has some organizational boxes/drawers, powder measure, etc bolted to the 2x12 as well. Seems to work well for him, once it is in there is little to no takedown/setup time, just does all of his work from the bed of his pickup.

This, and a tool box of hand tools and components is what I built to haul back and forth to the range. This pic was taken during the build process. I have since added a rubber pad to the bottom and handles along the side. I had a flange that allowed hanging a plastic tub off the side but didn't like that in practice so I removed it. I "calibrated" my powder measure with the specific powders I take to the range to avoid using a balance beam scale outside. Calibrated means creating a table for weighed charges vs micrometer setting. I also have the same press on my primary bench so all I have to do is swap out turrets and shell holders to get the same die settings.

Finished11.jpg

I have a Black and Decker fold up work bench that folds to a flat 4". Comes with clamps and is real strong. Mount your press to a section of plywood and clamp it to the bench for use.

Better yet, prep a bunch of brass before you leave and just change powder, bullets and seating depth at the range.

The guys over at Benchrest dot com have made some very nice portable set-ups too. They take a complete reloading set-up to account for all occasions.

I carry most of my stuff in a Kennedy tool box and clamp the powder measure to the box

I use 10" x 12" x 3/8" mild steel plates under all my presses. It's easy enough to drill and tap them for what ever press and accessories you need to affix to them. I drill holes in the same place on each plate so that I can bolt them to the bench at home or a portable, just use Tee nuts underneath. Easy to hot swap, transport and adds stability.

DSC01111.jpg

Cheers,

Doc

targafolio - yes, Dillon strong mount and 5/16 steel plate top and bottom. It's kind of heavy but very stable. I drilled one through-hole in the base and a matching hole in a couple of the shooting benches at the range and bolt it down for an extra rigid mount. It draws a crowd when I drag it along.

I've used a wal-mart wooden bar stool with success. Just keep your foot on it when working the press and put a few reinforcement screws in it. Worked well when I moved often and lived in apartments.