• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Mobile shooting bench on 4x8 trailer

312InchMagnum

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
I'm thinking of building a mobile shooting bench on a 4 x 8 trailer with 4 jack stands on the corners...I can shoot up to 200 yards at my house and already have a berm in place...just seeing if anyone has ever done anything similar or has any pictures for design ideas? Thanks!

1623159254689.png

Is the berm mobile? Then why not make something permanent?

Corner stability is a good idea but its hard to be more solid than concrete in dirt.

If you really want to take it on and off the trailer I would just use a big wire spool and then you can roll it on and off and tip it on its side to make a platform.
1623159793611.png

1623159817452.png

Definitely a good idea, if you don't mind hauling the trailer/stand every time. Maybe try for a modular type setup; shooting bench upright, remove the seat, pivot the remaining table down, now you have barricade practice as well 🤷‍♂️

Is the berm mobile? Then why not make something permanent?

Corner stability is a good idea but its hard to be more solid than concrete in dirt.

If you really want to take it on and off the trailer I would just use a big wire spool and then you can roll it on and off and tip it on its side to make a platform.
berm is not mobile...the way my property is set up making something permanent wouldnt work...I just kind of wanted to have something I can move from 20 yards to 200 yards with the 4 wheeler...I want to build it onto the trailer and not take it off...

Definitely a good idea, if you don't mind hauling the trailer/stand every time. Maybe try for a modular type setup; shooting bench upright, remove the seat, pivot the remaining table down, now you have barricade practice as well 🤷‍♂️
pretty good idea...got me thinking now!

Reactions: AMGtuned
berm is not mobile...the way my property is set up making something permanent wouldnt work...I just kind of wanted to have something I can move from 20 yards to 200 yards with the 4 wheeler...I want to build it onto the trailer and not take it off...
In that case 4x8 isnt very big... my concrete bench is 40" deep and I wish I had made it deeper.

I would make a bench like this that goes along one side but hanging over the outside edge just to maximize space. Then have the bench top along and hanging over the other side edge. A foot of bench and table hanging over each edge effectively gives you 6' of space which will be more comfortable.
1623160216506.png

I realize this wasn't the question but as an aside, around here, if shooting varmints such as prairie dogs, the trailer needs to be disconnected from the tow vehicle so as not to raise the question of shooting from a vehicle.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Reactions: 312InchMagnum
In that case 4x8 isnt very big... my concrete bench is 40" deep and I wish I had made it deeper.

I would make a bench like this that goes along one side but hanging over the outside edge just to maximize space. Then have the bench top along and hanging over the other side edge. A foot of bench and table hanging over each edge effectively gives you 6' of space which will be more comfortable.
View attachment 7642753
great point...thats actually very similar to something i was envisioning...i agree 4 x 8 is kind of on the small side but harbor freight makes a super inexpensive 4 x 8 trailer...i have one at my hunting lease and one at home currently i use for hauling all kinds of crap around my house...they work perfect and have lasted way longer that i ever envisioned...

I realize this wasn't the question but as an aside, around here, if shooting varmints such as prairie dogs, the trailer needs to be disconnected from the tow vehicle so as not to raise the question of shooting from a vehicle.

Thank you,
MrSmith
No hunting from vehicle here in ME either. Without special permission of course, E.g. handicap of legs

View attachment 7642753

great point...thats actually very similar to something i was envisioning...i agree 4 x 8 is kind of on the small side but harbor freight makes a super inexpensive 4 x 8 trailer...i have one at my hunting lease and one at home currently i use for hauling all kinds of crap around my house...they work perfect and have lasted way longer that i ever envisioned...
Why not use the trailer the 8' way. I realize this would make a single seat bench, however; pull in to short range, back in place. Shoot, drive out farther. Don't want a bench? Flip to barricade. Don't want positional practice? Pull the front leg pivot pin, remove table, shoot prone not laying in ticks

@312InchMagnum - yeah...not really what you asked for but this is my buddy's mobile hunting blind made of our old goose pit decoy trailer.

My friend fell out of a tree stand (well, actually the dumb fuck wouldn't listen when George told him it was rusted out) and his somewhat large ass fell. Caught his leg in the ladder an doesn't have a single intact ligament or tendon in one knee...so, this is really the only way he can hunt anymore.

Now, I was critical of him in the above paragraph, but he is a very lucky guy that it was a warm evening and his wife knew where on this small lease he was hunting and she fetched him and then to Shock Trauma. Truth is that we are all very, very grateful and happy that he came out of this mostly intact and still has his leg. A true blessing

But, its a cool as shit hunting war wagon, I think. haha

1623183910641.jpeg

I don't care if you paint it black, it's NOT tactical.

Why not use the trailer the 8' way. I realize this would make a single seat bench, however; pull in to short range, back in place. Shoot, drive out farther. Don't want a bench? Flip to barricade. Don't want positional practice? Pull the front leg pivot pin, remove table, shoot prone not laying in ticks
My thoughts are, backing into a space with the bench along the back of the trailer shooting out the rear, youre going to have to crawl up over the hand rail to get on the trailer and have ramps or a gate in the way likely. Though maybe since he said pulled by a 4 wheeler it being a tiny trailer it could only be a foot of the ground... my trailer is 4' tall to climb up onto which old people cant do so thats what I defaulted to. So shooting out the side youll be able to step up and scooch and slide down the bench and have a buddy with you too. With out the side and overhanging a foot on both sides you have effectively made it a 6x8 for the function it would be serving.

Reactions: AMGtuned
If you can find an old 2-place exposed snowmobile trailer, the tires are smaller so you won’t have to buy such tall jackstands for the corners. Also, it’ll be wide enough you can have a section with a seated bench and another section open for shooting prone.

I bought one on Craigslist last summer for scrap price because it had a bent axle. I didn’t care because I plan to only use the aluminum/plywood deck. I didn’t need a mobile platform, but I do need it elevated to shoot over tall weeds on my steep angle 50yd shooting range. Planning to sink some 4x4s or 6x6s and throw the trailer deck on it 6-8 feet off the ground for 50yd rimfire. Gonna mount it long direction/tail towards the berm, with the attached hitch/debris shield facing away from the range; then I can bungee cord an tarp angled over me for a sunscreen.

I shoot off an 8'x12' trailer in some locations to get up above crops/small hills. I have a platform on it that I shoot prone off of, puts belly height at about 5-6' off the ground.

Try it without jackstands first. Hooked up to the truck, mine is bouncy. But as long as I disconnect it from the vehicle and set the tongue on the ground or on a cement block, its pretty solid. It can bounce if you shake your body around, but I've shot out to 1,000 yards several times on it without any issues. Makes moving it and setting up much easier.

Reactions: deersniper