• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mod 0 Build - New Barrel = New Bolt?

Inogame

Counter of Beans
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
NW Indiana
Ok, I searched. I read, and I'm interested in some more thoughts.

I'm finishing up a Mod 0 build and I picked up a barrel from Rock Creek.
(http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...590#Post3108590)

I have a RRA BCG that I picked up of the sale board a while back, it's just sitting in my safe.
- One of these - http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...093#Post2674093

Should I buy a new bolt anyway, or just use the one I have?

I've read that lots of folks change bolts with barrels.
Say the bolt fails.. would I not just buy a new bolt anyway?

What is the potential for issues using the one I have?

I'm spending a pretty penny to finish this build up, I suppose I'd rather not muck it up with stupidity, that being said, I'd rather spend the money on ammo if it's only my paranoia taking hold.

I know I opened myself up for a pretty good flame job here, but that's ok. If you could sprinkle in a couple constructive thoughts too I'd appreciate it.

Re: Mod 0 Build - New Barrel = New Bolt?

No flame job, bolts fail, a new bolt MP tested blot is about $40.00, but you can stay with your old bolt, the only thing I would suggest is to make sure it is shot peened and MP tested..

Check the headspace with a gauge and you'll be fine. I've only bought one barrel and payed extra for a matched bolt, all my other barrels had been checked with a gauge. Not one of them ever had any headspace problems with mixed bolts being used. I'm not saying there is no chance for a problem. You should have gauges anyways if you're assembling rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neal0124</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check the headspace with a gauge and you'll be fine. I've only bought one barrel and payed extra for a matched bolt, all my other barrels had been checked with a gauge. Not one of them ever had any headspace problems with mixed bolts being used. I'm not saying there is no chance for a problem. You should have gauges anyways if you're assembling rifles. </div></div>

+1