• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing mod. 70 guard screw ?

Re: mod. 70 guard screw ?

Action screws on '70s are 1/4-32, available thru Brownells, made by B-squared.

I'm actually looking for a 1/4-32 thread tap to clean up the threads in one of my actions. It seems the previous owner may have banged the living shit out of it cause one of them goes in really really hard and I don't want to force it and have something cross threaded.

thanks...now would you suggest the bottom tap or plug tap since I know the difference, but am unsure about which to use.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Material: Steel
Style: <span style="color: #3333FF">Plug</span></span></span>
748-001-432WB
Plug Tap, 1/4-32, 2, 17/64
Mfr. Part: S83006

OR

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Material: Steel
Style: <span style="color: #FF0000">Bottom</span></span></span>
748-002-432WB
Bottom Tap, 1/4-32, 2, 17/64
Mfr. Part: S83006H2

You'll need a bottoming tap, because the holes are blind. In fact, I would, after getting as deep as I could with the bottoming tap, grind the tap to make a TRUE bottoming tap, to get that last 1 or 1.5 thread.