• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mod 700 popping top round

mojojojo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2010
OR
I've got a mod 700 BDL 7mmRM that pops the first round when trying to feed slow (before the bullet nose gets to the ramp). I took out as much spring pressure as I could, and now it feeds the round fast, but not slowly. Unaltered feed rails, box and follower. Am I overlooking anything?

Re: Mod 700 popping top round

Your follower spring may be a bit compressed. Had that happen to my 17 Rem so I kinda stretched it back and it works fine now.

Thank you Mike, I tried more and less spring tension, when I increased it, the problem got worse, sometimes the second round down would also pop out at the same time.

Check your mag box and adjust accordingly. If BDL style, it may have slipped down in mag well.

You haven't by chance changed the stock recently? I had a stock that I put on one of my 700's that was slightly shallower than factory in the mag well depth. This increased the spring tension and would cause the top shell in the mag to pop up. Decreased the spring tension a bit, and the problem went away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stockdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check the magazine box alignment in its recess on the bottom metal. </div></div>
This is a likely culprit.

Thank you everyone, I went through everything carefully and all was well. What I ended up doing was making a small cut at each end of the right side of the mag box at the top and removed all of the vertical taper at the rear and most of the taper from 1/2 way back to the front of the right side. This side of the box is just about straight vertical. This allows the case to sit farther over to the side and now slow/fast feeding is good and the top case does not pop out when I open the bolt.