• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mod - Seekins Rail on McM A-stock w/Flush Cup

hamstur

Smelly
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2011
Desert
Alrighty! I've been in mod mode with some of my rifles, and after the positive feedback from the TRG/Limbsaver mod I thought I would do the same with how I defeated the flush cup on my McM A-stock this week ... here goes:

I can't be the only person with an Atlas, McM A-stock with a flush cup and thought "I want to use the Atlas! How the F#@K do I install a Seekins 3" rail without drilling my stock?!" Here's how I did it:

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 1:</span> Drive over to McMillan HQ during my lunch break, visit the great folks there, ogle new product, and pick up a Seekins 3" McM rail.

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 2:</span> Stare it down and yell "I'm better than you, Flush Cup!!!"

Rail_01-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 3:</span> Assess what you will need besides the Seekins rail -- this ended up being 3 lock washers, 1 heavy duty plastic washer, and 2 nuts. I wanted to maintain use of the vertical sling stud, so I kept the front stud vs. using the 2nd screw included with the rail:

Rail_02.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 4:</span> Pop 2 washers into the rear hole as spacers to provide the stud clearance from the rail:

Rail_03.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 5:</span> After some experimenting, I figured out to assemble the remaining components in this configuration. Where the plastic washer sits, it will align with the QD groove in the flush cup. Don't make it too tight as it will compress the washer & it won't be possible to pop it into the cup. At this point, put the rail up to the cup, and give it a slight palm strike to pop it in:

Rail_04.jpg

Rail_05.jpg

Re: Mod - Seekins Rail on McM A-stock w/Flush Cup

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 6:</span> Now turn the stud (or screw if you dont want to use the stud) and it will catch and continue to tighten onto the nuts. The nuts also double function by filling the cup & making sure it stays very put. As the nuts tighten down, the plastic washer will expand and fill the QD groove:

Rail_06.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 7:</span> I had my doubts, but to illustrate how effective this is, I'm actually holding the rifle up using just the rear rail attached this way. It is a VERY sturdy attachment. I tried to pull it off, and it won't budge. Ok... it's heavy... enough pain:

Rail_07.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 8:</span> Attach the front screw to the sling stud screw well.

Rail_08.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 9:</span> Enjoy being able to use the Atlas without having to tap or modify the stock in any way

Rail_09.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">STEP 10:</span> Enjoy an ice cold beer and figure out why I'm still awake at 1:00 AM.

To uninstall? Just unscrew the rear stud/screw and it will remove itself all the way. Hope this helps a few folks who had the same frustration I did!

~Andy

Great idea!

Seekins should make an elongated swivel with QD, mod the rear hole to accept it so it could lock in as a QD. Similar to the new Manners QD on the folder they have.

Watcha think?

Good post Hamstur. I will need to do that if I ever get rid of my Harris and switch to a Atlas.