• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Model 1917 Eddystone

ThorUSMC3209

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
KS
My father has a model 1917 Eddystone that is in pretty rough shape and i was looking to restore it back to shooing condition for him. I am not totally familiar with the rifle and i am just looking for any tips and or things to look for or at when taking it apart and reassembling it.

Thank you!

Re: Model 1917 Eddystone

Thor - I guess a lot depends on what is needed, the condition you want it restored to and how much you want to spend.

It may be worth having a chat with Ed Silva at Miltech? They restore M1917 to "as issued" condition.

Maybe they could take yours in?

Likely not cheap if they can help, and it could take a while (been waiting for around 6 months for my latest Mauser from them..)......but they do great work.

www.miltecharms.com

Thor, I have the Army Manual for the 1917 Enfield on .pdf format. If you PM me with your e-mail address I'll send it to you.

Please state its for the 1917, I get request for other manuals all the time and want to make sure you get the right one.

They are great rifles, here is mine.

1917%20Enfield.jpg

Check your in box, you should have the manual any second.

The 03 Springfield has a cult following but I think the P17 Enfield was more modern, and probably the better rifle by a long shot.

The sights are better, the stock is more ergonomic, the action more attractive etc.

Not sure I agree with that. I love my 1917 enfield (eddystone). It's accurate, but its not as fast and smooth as my 1903a3 (Smith Corona). The '03 is lighter, action is smoother, faster with 5 round clips, and the sights (of the 'A3) is just as good and accurate as the 1917s.

I don't like the cock on closing of the 1917. Sure it can be changed easily but then it would be illegal for CMP GSM matches. If they are modified then yes, convert to cock on openning, My 416 Rigby is on a 1917 action, converted and is a lot smoother.

But good, as issued 1917s & '03s are getting hard to find and pricy now days.

After saying all that, neither of mine are up for sale. I wouldn't let of of either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure I agree with that. </div></div>

I think I agree with Kraig, my father has both a 1903 (sporterized) and an Enfield (sporterized and converted to 300wm) while neither are in their original configuration, I think the 03 is a bit smoother. But I like both of them, they have been well done and taken care of. Fantastic old rifles both of them.

The first thing you want to do with an Eddystone receivered rifle is check the receiver for cracking. They had heat treat problems at that Winchester operated former locomotive factory.

Take the barreled action out of the stock, degrease the receiver, then douse it with lighter fluid. Watch the fluid evaporate. If the receiver has cracks in it you will see it when the fluid evaporates - it will dry first on the flat surfaces then be left behind in the cracks.

As far as the US Model of 1917 having better sights that the 03, I'm not sure how one could consider banging on the front sight with a punch and hammer an improvement over being able to twist a knob for a windage adjustment. Both have a ladder type peep sight on the rear, though the 1917 does have a longer sight radius than the 03 (but not the 03A3). The magazine cutoff switch is a nice feature the 03 has that the 1917 does not have as well. Cock on closing versus cock on opening is a matter of what you were trained with, so call that a push. Looks? I've once heard the US Model of 1917 described as "uglier than a 10 gallon bucket of crushed assholes", and I don't think the describer was far off the mark with that comment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've once heard the US Model of 1917 described as "uglier than a 10 gallon bucket of crushed assholes"</div></div>

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

It dosn't look quite that bad, but its not as sleek as the '03s.

Still funny though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing you want to do with an Eddystone receivered rifle is check the receiver for cracking. They had heat treat problems at that Winchester operated former locomotive factory.

Take the barreled action out of the stock, degrease the receiver, then douse it with lighter fluid. Watch the fluid evaporate. If the receiver has cracks in it you will see it when the fluid evaporates - it will dry first on the flat surfaces then be left behind in the cracks. </div></div>

Thank you for the Advice!

i haven't got to look it over really good yet i just held it for a few seconds when we were going through the barn. But i dont believe the barrel is in to bad of shape im more worried about the action but if it does turn out to irreparable i really appreciate the information, thank you!

I should began on it next weekend time willing. so i will keep ya'll posted!

I'd probably do the crack test, just in case. But I believe most of the cracked receivers are caused at barrel removal. Those barrels are cranked in so bloody tight, when they pop loose I think is when the cracking occurs. If a bad one needs removed, I cut in about 1/8" right in front of the receiver ring with a hacksaw all the way round, and they almost turn out by hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 671RTO9513</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd probably do the crack test, just in case. But I believe most of the cracked receivers are caused at barrel removal. Those barrels are cranked in so bloody tight, when they pop loose I think is when the cracking occurs. If a bad one needs removed, I cut in about 1/8" right in front of the receiver ring with a hacksaw all the way round, and they almost turn out by hand. </div></div>

ill keep that in mind thank you!

my first was an eddystone.....it proved to be a solid performer,,,then the receiver crack issue came up....i tend to like my face right where its at.....so the sporter eddystone went on down the line

haha yeah i cant blame you there! But when i start in on it that's what i was going to look for when i get all the dirt and grime off it.

I just brought home my 'new' 1917 a few weeks ago. I'd been looking for a solid one for a while, and while in Charlotte NC I went to see a Smithing friend who works in a store. I walked in, and it drew me from across the store.
It is a Remington, all matching #s, bore is GREAT in full working order. Stock original, uncut with markins intact. I might have paid too much, but I didn't care. I have an Eddystone that the rear sight ears were butchered off of, and have yet to decide what to do with it. It has been chopped, stock and barrel. I may put some open sights on the barrel and make a truck gun out of it. Wanted to use it for a safari project and may still, we will see.
Let us know how your project goes, all assembly and disassembly is pretty mush straight Mauser as well, easy!

Even if the receiver does have cracks, the rifle can be fun to shoot. There were articles several years back in Precision Shooting Magazine where guys where shooting lightly loaded lead cast bullets in old military rifles. You could do some research, find a good low pressure cast load for it, and still have a ton of fun.

yeah that's always a possibility, but im a pretty good TIG welder and can do decent metal work altogether so if it does have a crack i might just try to repair it first and see how it goes. But yes i will defiantly keep everyone posted on how smooth it goes!

Okay well how would you suggest repairing the crack then, if it does end up having one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThorUSMC3209</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay well how would you suggest repairing the crack then, if it does end up having one? </div></div>

You don't! Strip all parts and find another receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 303_enfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't! Strip all parts and find another receiver. </div></div>

Understood, thank you!

this is really kind of a big learning experience for me. i have always loved firearms and shooting not i'm really getting into working on them so my apologies if i seem incompetent on a lot of things

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThorUSMC3209</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is really kind of a big learning experience for me. i have always loved firearms and shooting not i'm really getting into working on them so my apologies if i seem incompetent on a lot of things </div></div>

No offence intended Thor, but FWIW I'd strongly advise against working on guns if you don't have the necessary experience, tools and skills.

If you do feel obliged to do things yourself, get the work you do checked by a qualified gunsmith or armourer <span style="text-decoration: underline">before</span> you put a single round through it.

It is not about incompetence or learning curves, it is about safety and keeping your face and hands the way they were made...or, worst case, keeping breathing!

If it has a crack in it, and odds are it won't then leave it alone. The point at which they often cracked was when someone tried to remove the barrel for building a rifle and that was when it happened. Give it a detailed cleaning and inspection and go from there, no sense in jumping the gun. No pun intended!

yeah i have a good mentor to show me the way so i would never just do it and put a round through it i would always have him look at it first.Yes i will definitely give it a thorough cleaning. But i appreciate all of the input i am getting from you guys!

Thank you!

I thought Eddystone was Remington, not Winchester.

Alwasy heard/read the cracking issue was from trying to remove the original barrels, not from just shooting them or using them in combat.

If you're a big guy with long arms the M1917 is usually a better fit than the little/short buttstocks on an original 03 Springfield. The 03A3's seem to have a longer buttstock. Mine does and its more comfortable for me to shoot.

Who needs/uses a magazine cut off these days? No officers around to tell me I can't use the rounds in the magazine (and no Germans crossing no man's land to get to me either).

Everyone likes what they like.

Yeah, I always got better accuracy from my 03A4 with 180 grain Sierra match bullets and IMR4350 powder (a compressed load with good velocity but not high pressures).

Not sure I can post a picture of my most recent M1917. Picked it up as a barreled action at a gun show (the guy said he was cleaning out a barn and found it). I bought the rest of the metal parts and the stock/handguards and put it together. Good shooting rifle.

eddystone.jpg

From Wiki:

"As it entered World War I, the UK had an urgent need for rifles and contracts for the new rifle were placed with arms companies in the United States. They decided to ask these companies to produce the new rifle design in the old .303 caliber for logistic commonality. The new rifle was termed the "Pattern 14." In the case of the P14 rifle, Winchester and Remington were selected. A third plant, a subsidiary of Remington, was tooled up at the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Eddystone, Pennsylvania. Thus, three variations of the P14 and M1917 exist, labeled "Winchester," "Remington" and "Eddystone."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81Z4ME</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Eddystone was Remington, not Winchester.

Alwasy heard/read the cracking issue was from trying to remove the original barrels, not from just shooting them or using them in combat.

If you're a big guy with long arms the M1917 is usually a better fit than the little/short buttstocks on an original 03 Springfield. The 03A3's seem to have a longer buttstock. Mine does and its more comfortable for me to shoot.

Who needs/uses a magazine cut off these days? No officers around to tell me I can't use the rounds in the magazine (and no Germans crossing no man's land to get to me either).

Everyone likes what they like.

Yeah, I always got better accuracy from my 03A4 with 180 grain Sierra match bullets and IMR4350 powder (a compressed load with good velocity but not high pressures).

Not sure I can post a picture of my most recent M1917. Picked it up as a barreled action at a gun show (the guy said he was cleaning out a barn and found it). I bought the rest of the metal parts and the stock/handguards and put it together. Good shooting rifle.</div></div>

I would be uncomfortable firing a weapon that had any crack or noticeable weakness in the receiver or chamber, repaired or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if the receiver does have cracks, the rifle can be fun to shoot. There were articles several years back in Precision Shooting Magazine where guys where shooting lightly loaded lead cast bullets in old military rifles. You could do some research, find a good low pressure cast load for it, and still have a ton of fun. </div></div>

Just shot a Vintage Rifle Match with a 1917.Remington receiver, Eddystone bolt, and Winchester wood. Won the match by one point, the hoola-hoop size rear sight makes sight alignment interesting to say the least. Neat old warhorse but I'll take the 03A3 anyday. As far as the cracked receiver, there is no way in hell I would consider firing the rifle(repair or not!)

This sure brings back memories. When I was a kid (fifties) I got sent off to live with relatives a lot and at one, they had one of these, along with an 1873 Trapdoor Springfield and a Winchester .22 single shot.

Well, needless to say, life moved on and everyone died and I have no clue what happened to it. Still bugs me to this day. I used to take them out from behind the door and fondle them. LOL