• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

model 200=best project rifle. my 1st post

bryan308ftw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
This is my first post and finally got around to registering, this is a great forum with loads of rich info.

I was in the market for a 308, but something that i can easily experiment with modifications so i went with the model 200, i ordered it through buds, and got it within a week, great site.

heres what the 200 when i got it, i had a scope so i pretty much put it on as soon as i took it out of the box (bushnell 6-18x50mm)
nakedgun.jpg

and then my lack of patience resulted in smacking on a bi pod and strap by the end of the day lol

savfromthefront.jpg

unbolted.jpg

with just a few minor adjustments the model 200 can be a great contender at the range.

here are some quick photos of other rifles i have in the collection.

This is my #1 hunting rifle. Given to me by my grandfather at my birth haha it means a lot to me. The rifle is a ruger m77 (.243). One hell of straight shot.
rugerm77.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

here is the model 200 with my buddies new armalite .308, the muzzle brake and heavy weight of the armalite makes this thing kick free and scary accurate. we were also doing some reloading, we were reloading 308 with some brand new lapua brass, that day we were making 168gr next were gona make some 175gr rounds.

photo-13.jpg

reloadnrifle.jpg

this is one of my favorite 22s. The Winchester 22lr, many holes have been punched.
22lr.jpg

At the range the other day w/ my friends armalite 308 and my m77 243

IMG_3630.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

Heres what id use for some long range hunting. The 700 in 300 win mag. Have not gotten a chance to fire this one yet. Brand new just like the savage.
url]

url]

back to my original topic, the model 200, i plan to throw on a medalist tactical stock. i plan to mess with the trigger in a couple of days, id like to try and get a nice pull before i jump the gun and get an aftermarket trigger. Any recommendations for barrels? I was looking at what they had on sharpshooter supply and was extremely interested. Id like to look at some possible bull barrel options?

thanks for any help guys and i look foward to learning a lot more now being active with the forum!

Re: model 200=best project rifle. my 1st post

have not fired a single round out of the 200 yet, i plan on it @ some point this weekend. Ill for sure post an update, i plan to use a couple of the 168 grain reloads & 165 grain horndady rounds, not sure which i want2 fire first, or sight too, i guess ill see.

Brother has 3 Shilen barrels for his Savage action and 2 of the 3 have been hammers. He hasnt shot the 3rd one yet.

Hard to go wrong with Shilen.

give benchmark barrels a call for a little more than a shilen you can order exactly what you want contour,twist, length, fluted,threaded, braked.

360 652 2594 ask for ron

check savageshooters.com when you get a chance for Savage/Stevens info.

SSS's barrel pricing is on the high side, especially their Brux barrel although Brux is a great barrel. Sinarms (here) who is Sinman (Savageshooters.com) or Northlander can get you a good barrel for good price, and quicker than SSS also.

Good luck.

See how the original barrel shoots some of the savage barrels shoot great. if it shoots well enough for what you need shoot it and a 2-3,000 rounds from now look for a new barrel.

Just my 2 cents,

wade

Take a look at the B&C model 2999 stocks, if you are looking to upgrade. I am about to get my second........very light but no flex at all, zero. Great stock for the money.

You will need the 2997 model. Its the correct spacing, and its for the centerfeed style.