• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Model 70 in 220 swift with 15x unertl?

wslowik

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
So my buddy's uncle is getting older and has been giving all his firearms to him. Hes the only younger guy in the family with any interest and he doesnt want them going to someone who doesnt appreciate them. Every time he goes to visit he comes home with another. He was telling me about one he just got that was has a "really thick barrel" and a "really long scope." So last night im over his place and he pulls this out. I almost creamed in my pants.

I was wondering if anyone could give me more info on it. I don't know much about the old model 70s and unertl scopes, except that i want one, bad.

829bcba2.jpg

a0182014.jpg

Re: Model 70 in 220 swift with 15x unertl?

Rifle looks to be either a pre '64 Winchester Model 70 varmint in a Winchester Marksman stock or a pre '64 Winchester Model 70 Target in .220 Swift- either way it`s a bit of a rare bird.

My information doesn`t show Winchester making alot of either rifle in .220 Swift.

If you can post a partial serial number we can find the approximate date of manufacture.

The scope looks to be an Unertl Ultra Varmint with a calibrated head.

It should measure as follows:
Lenght 24"
Objective Diameter (actual lens diameter) 2"
Main Tube Diameter 1"

If I`m figuring the scope serial number correctly it was made between 1965 and 1967.

Any way you figure it your friend has a beautiful, classic rifle/scope combo-I`m betting with the caliber, scope and your location that was used for varmints.

I really like that rifle (but I'm a Winchester fanatic anyway).

I'd probably sell 2-3 grandkids into slavery to get something like that.

Wow! If that is original, that is worth some serious coin. I know Winchester didn't make many CRF 220's. Very cool.

Without doubt that is a Very nice vintage GroundHog gun!

I have a soft spot for these also, good luck (all mine are remington however, maybe someday a winchester)
d00caa21.jpg

Winchester made 904 mod 70 varminters in 220 swift. Im not sure how many mod 70 targets in swift were made. nice gun I have one in varminter and love it.