• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Model 70 question

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
I have an opportunity to buy a Model 70 in 7mm WSM. Thing is I do not know much about them. Can someone help me figure up its worth and manufacturer date? I read about a cheaper model 70 called super shadow in 7wsm and not sure if this is it.

It has been cerakote in silver/gray.
Maybe hs precision stock but it looks like it could also be a bell and carlson (not sure how to check).

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    648.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 94
Post more pictures of the stock so we can help ID which stock it is. I can surely say it's not a CRF so post 64 for sure.

Regardless, I'm a big fan of m70s in general so if the asking price was right, I'd still buy it.

Reactions: Cookieman8
Here are some more pics

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    598.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 86
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    708.1 KB · Views: 93
As you know that is the budget model. Push feed not crf like the classics.

Unless you really want it as is I would pass. Should be able to find a classic for close to that price or cheaper. I would agree with mcameron it's a $500 gun. But I wouldn't add value for the stock or cerakote.

As you know that is the budget model. Push feed not crf like the classics.

Unless you really want it as is I would pass. Should be able to find a classic for close to that price or cheaper. I would agree with mcameron it's a $500 gun. But I wouldn't add value for the stock or cerakote.
Is this the super shadow that I have read about? They are cheaper than the typical model 70 ?

Yes, it looks like one of the shadow series. It was the stripped down m70.

Edit: looking at gunbroker there are several shadows on gunbroker.com that are being relisted around $500. Meaning people aren't buying buying them for $500.

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like one of the shadow series. It was the stripped down m70.

Edit: looking at gunbroker there are several shadows on gunbroker.com that are being relisted around $500. Meaning people aren't buying buying them for $500.
Do you know what the difference is between the model 70, the super shadow and the black shadow? I'm not understanding the significant price variation as it do not own a model 70

I don't really remember. The bolts were different, push feed vs controlled round push feed. There may be other differences as well.

I don't really remember. The bolts were different, push feed vs controlled round push feed. There may be other differences as well.
Thank you for your help, I will definitely have to do some more thinking and research. Hopefully some more can possibly chime in!

Definitely in the 4 - 500 range if the bore is in good shape. You could find a new CRF model 70 for $1000

Weren’t but two of the shadow series made in 7mm WSM from what I have read. The shadow elite camo, and the ultimate shadow hunter ss. That’s just I for from Winchester about the various shadow options

Reactions: Bandit320
I don't think that's right. There are several references to black shadow, and super shadows. I didn't spend much time looking and the black shadow references may have been in fact the super shadow. Idk. But there was some super shadows sold in 7wsm. A friend has one. They were sold at Walmart for $350-$400 back in the 2000's.

I have a 1980's model 70 in .223 with an HS precision stock. I traded a pieced together AR for it in 2009. That would probably equal out to about $500 that I payed for it back then. It is an absolute lazer beam with heavy (75 and 80 grain) pills! It has been redone with 1 in 7 twist barrel but is still extremely smooth and accurate.
I'd need to see a picture of the whole gun in the stock to say if I think it's the HS stock. It's hard to tell from piecing the smaller pictures together. If you could maybe back up a little and take a larger picture I'd try to say.
I'll try to take a pick of mine in the morning and post it for you.

Black Shadows came with push feed and a cheap all black plastic stock. The Super Shadow had CRF actions and the same stock except for grey molded in grip panels. The Super Shadow as also available in stainless and a camo stock. Not sure if the basic Shadow was available in stainless or with camo stock. I doubt it, though.

Model 70s were not Cerakoted by Winchester in New Haven nor Columbia. Maybe now coming from Portugal.

Hope this helps.

AG

Black Shadows came with push feed and a cheap all black plastic stock. The Super Shadow had CRF actions and the same stock except for grey molded in grip panels. The Super Shadow as also available in stainless and a camo stock. Not sure if the basic Shadow was available in stainless or with camo stock. I doubt it, though.

Model 70s were not Cerakoted by Winchester in New Haven nor Columbia. Maybe now coming from Portugal.

Hope this helps.

AG

The Super Shadows had "CRPF-Controlled Round Push Feed". Not to be confused with the CRF of the classics, which has the claw extractor.