• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Model 70 Win back in the game

Hummer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
SC Cradle of the Confederacy
Was up at a dealer friend's place today and he had a Mod 70 Winchester made at the Columbia, SC plant. Nice smooth action, big claw extractor.
Now if they would just start making heavy barrel rifle for long range we would be good to go.

Re: Model 70 Win back in the game

I was looking at the new model 70 extreme weather myself. I think I want to pick one of them up for a new deer rig. I love that they went back to the pre-64 extractor.

I looked at a new FH-USA Winchester. The short mag was peeling filings off the follower with the bolt. The fit and finish was not the same as the good ole pre-64 Winchester Model 70. That said I also looked at a ???...270 maybe FN-USA Winchester and it was a work of art. Hopefully the short mag was an early run and the other is current manufacture.

Pat

The Pre 64 is still THE RIFLE, even better is the pre War (my personal favorite). Either of these on the third barrel has a feel that is marvelous. I know a guy that put his 12th barrel on one a number of years ago, he is probably on 14 by now.

I wasn't a big fan of the Remmy pop in extractor when I reviewed the patent on it back in 81 or so. I was talking to a military armorer type a few months back and when folks ask him about extractor problems on Remmys he shows them a coffee cup of bad pop in extractors.

I have been extremely lucky in that my Remmys had not had a problem with them. I have one more to rebuild but in a way I don't want to mess with it since I found a Mod 70 to rebuild.

One of my friends worked at Ilion and he said one day this marketing type was there explaining marketing strategy and he asked this whiz kid, "Do you wan to sell every rifle we can make and have people waiting for them to come out the door." To this he said "yes" with great enthusiasm. He told the whiz kid to follow him and he went out and kid in tow and went to the storage area, picked up a pre 64 70 and handed it to him and he said, "You build them just like this and you will sell all you can ever make." The kid didn't get it.

The new Winchester sliding extractor was the same design chosen for the Dover Devil MG project at Picatinny. I once saw a broken new model Win from a stuck case but then again I have heard of pre 64 extractors breaking as well but never saw one.

On my target guns I removed the factory extractor and stored them and put in M1917 extractors as ones I wouldn't mind breaking. Haven't broken one of them yet. The M1917 extractor is a perfect fit, just needs a little Swiss file work on bottom of extractor and it will run with the best of them.

BVEAL, yeah checked them out. Can't use them for cross the course target shooting. I don't understand why they didn't make the DBM a five shot or more like the Tikkas.