• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Model 700™ VTR™

steve1419

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
Hello all, I am new to the forum. I have been an AR shooter for many years now, and am looking to getting into a decent bolt gun. After a lot of reading, I am leaning towards the Remington 700 VTR in .308. This model is new to me, anyone have any experience with it? I looked for other postings but found no info on this particular model.

Re: Model 700™ VTR™

You looking to hunt?

Cant go wrong with a Rem 700. Kinda depends on what your going to be doing with it. If its going to be a hunting rifle, than your gonna want a lighter gun, especially if your going to be doing a lot of walking.This VTR weighs in at 8.25lbs. Thats should be light enough. If its going to be a range gun, your probably going to want something a tad bit heavier. This will help with recoil management. I dont know if youve looked into the Rem 700 P series but those are outstanding rifle and are used by many as a base rifle for LR shooting. I have a Rem 700 BDL Varmint Synthetic (Same gun as the PSS other than some minor changes in finish), I both hunt and LR shoot with this. Ive had people tell me its pretty heavy to be carrying around the mountains all day, but I really dont notice it much. I guess if I got used to hunting with a 7LB rifle then I would notice the weight quite a bit more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one with triangular barrel and muzzle brake cuts

I honestly have as of yet to find someone who owns one....

The muzzle brake has to be lopped off to mount anything...not even sure how well the odd shaped barrel will thread.

I personally hate plastic stocks.

A standard varmint model or tactical with a simple would be money better spent. Not a very worth while project in my opinion unless you can get it stupidly cheap. </div></div>

+1 If you were looking for a good priced Rem 700, look to gunbroker and type in the Rem 700 BDL Varmint. The Varmint Sythetics are hard to fing as they stopped producing them in I believe 93-94.If you can find one, snatch it up. But you can find the The BDL Varmints for around $500.00 throw a H&S Precision stock on it and you have a BDL Varmint Synthetic. That being said You can buy a PSS for about the same price,maybe a little bit more. That might be your best bet. Keep in mind, the only difference between the PSS and the BDL Varmint Synthetic in the finish of the reciever and barrel, and the BDL has a 24" barrel, PSS 26" barrel.....oh and the price. Both drive nails with the right load.

Check out the sps tactical for the money they can't be beat I know of four people who I hunt and shoot with alot and they are all shooting sub moa with a good rest and good conditions, and for a hunting rifle the 20 in barrel is very nice and easy to manuver around the only draw back to this gun is the stock and it is that its just pillar bedded unlike the hs precision that has the alum. bedding block. As for the vtr I havnt heard alot about them. Hope this helps

sps-v, sps-tact or the vtr all come with cheap plastic stocks. get one of them and just find another better stock. what i did with my sps-v now seats in a old H-S pss stock. raock sold gun now. oh cut barrel to 18"

I bought a 22-250VTR, put a US Optics 3.5-17TPal on it and ended up shooting 52 grain Amax's. The gun shoots very well. .5 MOA out to 300 but I haven't stretched it out yet. I only puchased it to use as a truck coyote rig and it fills the purpose quite well. The scope is a "little" over kill but I had to put it on something?lol

The TAC 50 was getting to expensive to keep shooting coyotes!!lol