• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Model 700 Tactical Cerakote in 223

DRAGON64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Alabama
I blindly bid on one at gunbroker becuase I saw 5R rifling in the description, and the bidding started at $650... why not (?) The more I researched the rifle the harder it was to get decent info. They were for sale on armslist, gunsamerica and gunbroker, otherwise there seems to be little info on the rifle. What I know is, it has a 24" fluted varmint barrel, w/ 5R rifling, and comes dressed in a Bell & Carlson M40 composite stock. And either the receiver , barrel or both are Cerakoted black. $710 shipped seemed worth the gamble. The vender I won the gun from, Grabagun, said they had not heard of the Remington recall, so I guess when it arrives, I either ship it off, or install a "TIMMY!" trigger.

Does anyone on the boards have any first hand experience with the Model 700 Tactical Cerakote in 223? I've been wanting a 223 for a long time, as many of the ranges I can shoot at are small... seemed appropriate to have the chance to own this one.

Get a Timney and don't look back. Super easy to install yourself and you won't have the down time.

What part of AL ?

Us I wouldn't send it back, put a new trigger on it, my 5r, I've never had any problems with it. They're very accurate too

Get a Timney and don't look back. Super easy to install yourself and you won't have the down time.

What part of AL ?

I shoot at the Blue & Gray field next to Guntersville Dam. I live 10-miles from the TN stateline above Huntsville.

Us I wouldn't send it back, put a new trigger on it, my 5r, I've never had any problems with it. They're very accurate too

I have been reading the thread on the Remington recall, and it is looking like wait times could be long. Timney it shall be... I always wanted an excuse to install one on one of my rifles, I just did not think the excuse would be due to Remington themselves.

I'm looking forward to getting this rifle... I don't own a projectile or a case for a 223 product, so I am busy surfing online for brass and bullets to get started on si\ome simple plinking loads to get me started. Wideners seems to be as good-a-place as any to get some LC in bulk.

"I shoot at the Blue & Gray field next to Guntersville Dam. I live 10-miles from the TN stateline above Huntsville."

I work in Guntersville, but I have never been to that range. I belong to the Big Springs shooting range off of hwy 79s, but I mostly shoot at home. I had a .223 built earlier this year and it is becoming my favorite. I have a straight shoe Timney installed in it. Right now I am working on a load with the 80gr Sierra MatchKings.

Give me a shout one day when you are gonna shoot, it would be nice to meet another hider. Not sure about the Blue and Grey, but I can bring a guest to the Big Springs or you would be welcome to come to the farm and shoot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the invites. The B&G range is a stones throw from the dam. It is a nice range, stretches out to 200 yards max and is about an hours drive time for me. I also shoot more often on my property, as long as the fields are not planted... so mostly late fall, winter and early spring for me. Yes, we should hook up; maybe when I get this Model 700 operational, we can do just that.

So the Model 700 Tactical Cerakote has finally arrived... and I have to say that it is refreshing to finally get a NEW Remington rifle with a nice stock on it. The M40 style Bell & Carlson stock is a nice touch. The varmint barrel is smaller than the SPS Tactical, and with the fluting the rifle is a bit lighter even though it has a 24" barrel. I would have had some pics ready, except it is raining and dark right now.

I do not have a scope selected for the rifle yet, although the 10X42 SWFA SS scope is in the strong. I'm actually looking at maybe something that resembles more of a scout scope, seeing as I will shoot mostly 100 - 200 yards at any given time, with very limited access to 600 - 1000 yards about 1.5 hours drive away. The only stipulation at this point, is that it have 30mm tube. I briefly considered the Redfield re-incarnation of the M40 scope, and maybe some repro rings and bases... but that is a bit out of my pocket book reach.

how do you like your 700 tactical cerakote 223? I just picked up one of these back in June. I am very pleased with it so far. I dont reload so I have been using the Hornady Varmint express v-max in 55 grain. I can consistently shoot 1/2 - 0.75 moa at 100 yards. I put a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 with leupold PRW rings and a talley one piece base. I would be curious to see how yours is shooting and what type of ammo yours likes. Thanks

how do you like your 700 tactical cerakote 223? I just picked up one of these back in June. I am very pleased with it so far. I dont reload so I have been using the Hornady Varmint express v-max in 55 grain. I can consistently shoot 1/2 - 0.75 moa at 100 yards. I put a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 with leupold PRW rings and a talley one piece base. I would be curious to see how yours is shooting and what type of ammo yours likes. Thanks

I like it so far, but I have not had a chance to shoot the rifle yet... it being summer, I just have too many excuses not to go to the range... most of them work and "honey-do's" Here is how she looks now, only missing a Harris to complete the ensemble...

Rifle Came OEM with a Bell & Carlson M40 inspired stock...
...and I added:
SWFA 10X42M (w/ sunshade & Butler Creek Flippies)
Burris Low Tacticals
Leupold Mark IV 15MOA base w/ cutout
Timney Trigger(no time for a recall)
Single Shot tray addition
KRG Bolt Lift knob

IMG_8052_zps19066fcd.jpg

IMG_8063_zps9c78b6b7.jpg

IMG_8061_zpse8f42880.jpg

IMG_8050_zpsafa93d32.jpg

I do not have the box anymore, but the sticker read just like the one pictured below, except in 223:

2156082_02_nib_unfired_remington_700_tact_640.jpg

Fluted 24" barrel was standard with this rifle.

Remington doesn't list one on their website. Odd.
*** Or if yours is some kind of Distubutor special?

These are a distributor special. Even Bud's Gun Shop has them, from time to time. Many companies make distributor specials, but it seems only Ruger is nice enough to list them on their website.

I have had one for a little over a year... Its a good shooter.

I had a nice calm day a the range a month back and ran 5 for 5 on a 6 inch steel plate at 600 yards with 69 grain smk's holding zero wind, LOL. That and the 70 grain berger vld shoot great in my rifle using H4895 @ 23.5 grains in LC 09 brass with WSR primers. That load puts the 69's down range in the high 2900's and the 70 grain around 2930 IIRC. I have tried 77's and while it doesn't shoot bad (under MOA) they don't group as tight nor as fast as the 69 and 70's. I tried imr8208 but there was a strong preference for H4895...

Last edited:
I've seen these at one of my local shops also. Some even where the green stocks... Very nice factory rifles.

I have had one for a little over a year... Its a good shooter.

I had a nice calm day a the range a month back and ran 5 for 5 on a 6 inch steel plate at 600 yards with 69 grain smk's holding zero wind, LOL. That and the 70 grain berger vld shoot great in my rifle using H4895 @ 23.5 grains in LC 09 brass with WSR primers. That load puts the 69's down range in the high 2900's and the 70 grain around 2930 IIRC. I have tried 77's and while it doesn't shoot bad (under MOA) they don't group as tight nor as fast as the 69 and 70's. I tried imr8208 but there was a strong preference for H4895...

Very encouraging post, thanbk you! This is my first 223, and the best factory Remington bolt action that I have owned. I have purchased most everything I need to reload for the 223, save for some primers and bullets. All I have at the moment is 100 rounds of Federal 55gr that I want to use for barrel break in, and to obtain some cases to get started loading.

I like it so far, but I have not had a chance to shoot the rifle yet... it being summer, I just have too many excuses not to go to the range... most of them work and "honey-do's" Here is how she looks now, only missing a Harris to complete the ensemble...

Rifle Came OEM with a Bell & Carlson M40 inspired stock...
...and I added:
SWFA 10X42M (w/ sunshade & Butler Creek Flippies)
Burris Low Tacticals
Leupold Mark IV 15MOA base w/ cutout
Timney Trigger(no time for a recall)
Single Shot tray addition
KRG Bolt Lift knob

IMG_8052_zps19066fcd.jpg

IMG_8063_zps9c78b6b7.jpg

IMG_8061_zpse8f42880.jpg

IMG_8050_zpsafa93d32.jpg

Good looking rifle. Looking forward to a range report.

Regards, paul

That sure is a nice rig!

That must carry real nice too .. I'm building a similar looking Hunting Rig myself... very nice.

Good looking rifle. Looking forward to a range report.

Regards, paul

Thanks, looks like we are struggling to get a summer put together here in the South, so looks like the weather will be nice this weekend for some range time...

That sure is a nice rig!

That must carry real nice too .. I'm building a similar looking Hunting Rig myself... very nice.

Thank you... With the medium weight Varmint barrel, this rifle balances out really nice. I'm really surprized how natural the wide blade on the Timney feels... truth be told, the whole rifle just fits nicely.