• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modern Advancements Volume II Rangefinder Comparison

christopher.dow

I can use measuring things
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Has anyone else picked up Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Volume II? There’s some pretty good stuff on there.

Particularly, the chapter on range finders is very helpful. Testing was done on 2.5x2.5 ft targets with 20% and 50% reflectivity. Targets started at 300m and went out in 100m-increments until failure. It has the Wilcox & Vectronix LRFs At the top of the heap on performance, followed by the Sig Kilo 2400. Alas, the Leica 2800.com, TerrapinX (they tested the Terrapin), and Newcon were not tested. The Kilo 2400 came in third place for price/meter at around $0.60.

Based on that data, if the Kilo 2400 BDX had been out when I was shopping, I’d have gotten it instead. It’s smaller, has the Kestrel connectivity I wanted, and is very close to the Terrapin in performance. They got the Terrapin out to 1300m on both the 20% and 50% targets, while the Kilo 2400 got to 1200m on the 20% target and 1400m on the 50% target.

Does anyone know how the TerrapinX stacks up against the Terrapin?

There’s a bunch of other great stuff in the book, as well. Seems well worth the purchase price for the LRF stuff alone.

The Leica, Terrapin X, Newcon weren't tested because they didn't exist at the time. The first book has good information as well, particularly on twist rates used on modern barrels.

The Leica, Terrapin X, Newcon weren't tested because they didn't exist at the time. The first book has good information as well, particularly on twist rates used on modern barrels.
Yeah, I figured the reason was that those units weren't out and the time to publish books is still pretty long, if you want good editing, etc.