• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modern Day Problem

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    I'm sitting here, minding my own business. I'm just reading some of the threads and drink a coke in a cup with ice. Then my brain decides to do something it rarely does, it starts to think. It notices my eye looking into the cup and seeing something that makes it go Hmmmm.

It now is asking a question, WHY DOES ICE MELT AT DIFFERENT RATES WHEN IT'S IN THE SAME CUP?

I noticed that ice melts at much different rates when it's in the same cup of coke. Some are almost complete melted, while others have barely melted at all.

To other brains out there, why is this? Scientist and engineers are welcome to explain too. But I suspect I'll get the Bubba's mind explaining it the most.

All are welcome.

Last edited:
    Why are you drinking a coke at your age thought that was bad for boomers? 🤣

200.gif

I'm sitting here, minding my own business. I'm just reading some of the threads and drink a coke in a cup with ice. Then my brain decides to do something it rarely does, it starts to think. It notices my eye looking into the cup and see something that make it go Hmmmm.

It now is asking a question, WHY DOES ICE MELT AT DIFFERENT RATES WHEN IT'S IN THE SAME CUP?

I noticed that ice melts at much different rates when it's in the same cup of coke. Some are almost complete melted, while others have barely melted at all.

To other brains out there, why is this? Scientist and engineers are welcome to explain too. But I suspect I'll get the Bubba's mind explaining it the most.

All are welcome.
    Great.
    Now you’ve done it.
    I just looked into the glass I’m drinking out of and saw the same thing!
    I WAS having productive thoughts before reading your post...

• Haha
    Reactions: Devildog
    I'm sitting here, minding my own business. I'm just reading some of the threads and drink a coke in a cup with ice. Then my brain decides to do something it rarely does, it starts to think. It notices my eye looking into the cup and seeing something that makes it go Hmmmm.

All are welcome.
    Ask Al Gore!

Thermodynamics be all, "Fuck your expectations, bro!" The liquid at the top of the cup is warmer than the liquid at the bottom of it. Diffusion of the colder water that used to be ice into the warmer water that never was ice adds an element of chaos, as does the ice being in little chunks where the distances between pieces of ice are highly inconsistent. If you'd like to watch the process to see what's going on, get some red food coloring and use it to make some red ice cubes, then drop those into a clear glass and fill with very cold water. A large container is best for this. As the ice melts you'll see the red fold and spin and dissolve rapidly turning the water pink and then red. At first the red will concentrate down at the bottom but eventually the whole water column will turn red.

Why is the ice tea in the bottom of the cup warmer than the ice tea at the top when using a straw (think MD's tea). Cold is supposed to sink right????

All are welcome.
    Are you holding the cup or is it sitting on something?

Mike

Thermodynamics be all, "Fuck your expectations, bro!" The liquid at the top of the cup is warmer than the liquid at the bottom of it. Diffusion of the colder water that used to be ice into the warmer water that never was ice adds an element of chaos, as does the ice being in little chunks where the distances between pieces of ice are highly inconsistent. If you'd like to watch the process to see what's going on, get some red food coloring and use it to make some red ice cubes, then drop those into a clear glass and fill with very cold water. A large container is best for this. As the ice melts you'll see the red fold and spin and dissolve rapidly turning the water pink and then red. At first the red will concentrate down at the bottom but eventually the whole water column will turn red.
    Beat me to it. Same reason the air is warmer at the top of the room.

We may need to award Bully an honorary degree in philosophy,

I’m going to do this the next time I eat some mushrooms

Turn on the hot water in your sink. Hold your hand under the water and wait for it to get warm. It gets much cooler just before the hot water hits your hand. Why?
    I don't really know or particularly care why, just thought I'd give y'all something else to contemplate.