• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modified 5R

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    I have been getting work done on my 5R in .308.
    I needed a work rifle that would shoot well out of the box but that I could improve over time.

I was not disappointed in the 5R at all. The bolt was noticeably smoother to run than the one on my SPS Tactical. I adjusted the X Mark pro to 3.5 lbs. It broke cleanly and without take up or noticeable overtravel. It shot VERY well out of the box, around .5 moa with quality loads. The barrel does not copper at all and clean up, though infrequent, is a breeze. You sure can't ask for anything better than that for the price.

The first things I had done was to replace the trigger. The factory trigger worked just fine, but I prefer a wider, grooved trigger. I happened to have a mid-90's factory rem trigger from a sendero. I had the trigger and side bolt release installed.

I decided that I wanted a DBM. I liked the HS stock, but I had to be very careful, as I tended to apply uneven pressure on the palm swell. I made the decision to go with an XLR chassis. Kyle was awesome to deal with and I received my chassis in about 14 weeks (this was over thanksgiving and Christmas, plus him moving his shop).

I then elected to have the barrel threaded, part of the thread job involved a new crown and a custom bolt knob.

Next up was to have the barrel set back and new match chamber, a new recoil lug and the shoulder squared and moved back and the action trued.

I dura-coated the barrel myself, it isn't as even as I'd like, but it works.

Why dick around with a factory tube?
    The damn thing shoots, and shoots very well. I also want to eventually rebarrel to a 6.5 something (probably CM). It remains a .308 for the time being for work purposes.
    So on to some pics, everyone knows what they look like out of the box, but I kryloned it in the HS stock:
    DSCF2139.jpg

Overall pic:
    DSCF2305.jpg

Bolt Knob:
    DSCF2304.jpg

Side Bolt release:
    boltrelease.jpg

Fired this 5 shot group at 100, trigger monkey couldn't stand success and pulled one shot. Yes, I spanked the monkey later. Errr, I mean I had a serious talk with the monkey later
    DSCF2309.jpg

I tried another load that did not work well at all, then returned to the first load and fired this:
    DSCF2310.jpg

Groups were fired off a bench, bipod and squeeze bag.
    So what did I get out of it?
    The rifle shot very well from the beginning. I had fired groups like this before. But, it would open up as the rifle warmed up. It no longer opens up when warm and is MUCH more consistent.

All work was done by Mike Brown of Mike's Gun Sales and Service (Jet Suppressor's). Mike has been nothing short of fantastic and has supported and helped me immensely.
    I have a Jet .300 Win Mag can, just waiting on stamp to come back. I ordered the WM can because I have a 7mm Mag Sendero that I will have threaded soon.

Rifle specs:
    Rem 10th Anniversary 5R Mil-Spec
    Old style factory trigger set at 3.5 lbs
    Side Bolt release
    Mike's steel 20 MOA rail
    XLR Chassis with standard stock
    Harris swivel bipod with loc
    IOR 3-18x42

Load that I shot:
    Fed brass
    Fed primer
    45.5 gr varget
    168 SMK loaded to 2.80

Re: Modified 5R

I had my 5R Cerakoted and a Badger tactical bolt knob added, I then added a GAP tuned older Remington trigger.

Thing shoots just as good as rifles costing three times as much. Plus, for some reason it likes and shoots Prvi 175-gr match ammo very well.

Re: Modified 5R

I bought a 5r from azimutha here on the Hide. He had some upgrades done to it: bedding, Seekins DBM. I just dropped a Timney in it today...I was running that X Mark Pro, and at first, I really liked it. The more I shot the rifle, the less I liked the X Mark. There would be times when I felt like I was having to really put the squeeze to it for it to break. The rifle was a damn hammer with that X Mark trigger, can't wait for the Timney.