• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modified case will not work

macv

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2004
no. wisconsin. USA
Hello,today I finally got started (with the very nice weather)to start thinking about reloading for a rifle that was put together through the winter months. It is a 6mmBR Norma. As I started to use my stoney point OAL case ga.,I found out that the case would not go all the way into the chamber. After thinking about it for a while, I guessed why. The chamber is a 272 neck size. Tight neck. After useing the old smoke the bul. trick in order to get some idea of the COAL, i was thinking that I should be able to make my own modified case. I read somewhere at one time the size of drill and tap that was used to make one, but have since forgotten what they were. Would anyone know the answer? What are some other ways to check OAL. I dont have any fired cases as yet, (have not fired this rifle to date) but was thinking that once I have, I was going to size the fired case just a bit, enough to hold the bul. and then run it into the chamber. With a bit of pressure on the bul. I thought that it would get pushed into the lands and stop right there, giving me the measurement of where the bul hits the lands. What other methods are there that some of you shooters might use.

Re: Modified case will not work

Your going to turn the necks first,right?With bullet seated the necks should measure .270-.271.
I use a jam fit to "start" with by seating a bullet out far and looking for the rifling marks with a magnifier.Then seat a fresh bullet deeper a little at a time until the rifling makes a faint impression on bullet.

Steve

From memory, it's a 5/16" x 36; don't know the drill. Try the <span style="font-style: italic">Search</span> function. This thing comes up periodically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,today I finally got started (with the very nice weather)to start thinking about reloading for a rifle that was put together through the winter months. It is a 6mmBR Norma. As I started to use my stoney point OAL case ga.,I found out that the case would not go all the way into the chamber. After thinking about it for a while, I guessed why. The chamber is a 272 neck size. Tight neck. After useing the old smoke the bul. trick in order to get some idea of the COAL, i was thinking that I should be able to make my own modified case. I read somewhere at one time the size of drill and tap that was used to make one, but have since forgotten what they were. Would anyone know the answer? What are some other ways to check OAL. I dont have any fired cases as yet, (have not fired this rifle to date) but was thinking that once I have, I was going to size the fired case just a bit, enough to hold the bul. and then run it into the chamber. With a bit of pressure on the bul. I thought that it would get pushed into the lands and stop right there, giving me the measurement of where the bul hits the lands. What other methods are there that some of you shooters might use. </div></div>

I put this in another post about the Stoney Point tool, but you can call the guys at Rumble Wepnz. They've made several custom cases for my Stoney Point OAL gauge.

Their web address is: www.rumblewepnz.com

If you still have a couple of inches of the cut off barrel, run the reamer in it up to the shoulder. You will then have a duplicate of your chamber to use as a comparator. It works great until you get some throat erosion.

I have made hundreds of modified cases for the Stoney Pointe OAL Gages. 50bmg's by the hundreds, 7.5x55's for guys and any other caliber you can think of! The TAP is 5/16x36. They are hard to find and about $25 when you find them! I used to sell the BMG cases on Ebay and at last count I sold approx 200+. They are not hard to make. I just drilled a hole into a block of wood approx the same diameter as the case and then cut it down the middle into 2 pieces. Then line them with a couple little pieces of grip liner that you can buy at Wal-Mart. Place your sized case into the block and clamp it into your vise. Slowly step up the drill sizes until your 1/32 under the tap. Make sure that your drilling 90 degrees to your base. All you have left to do is tap it! I then pick a drill that is approx the same diameter or close the the bullet diameter and neck ream the case. After having done that I take a brass brush for cleaning the bore of said caliber and wrap it with #0000 fine steel wool and polish the neck until the bullets slides freely in the neck and your done! I could typically turn a case out in 5 to 8 minutes.

The other way to do it is to size a case and take a dremel with a diamond cutting wheel and slot either side of the case neck. Slide your bullet into the case and chamber it. Just be careful ejecting the round! When I check my rifle for a new bullet profile I use both systems to cross check my readings. They are always within a couple thou!!

Hope this helps!

Picts below of some cases and the slotted neck method (308 case)

Terry

DSCI0003-6.jpg

DSCI0002-4.jpg

DSCI0001-2.jpg

Maybe I'm not understanding the question but wouldn't the simplest fix be to neck turn the modified case that you have?

The Modified case from Stoney Pointe have inside neck ID's that are normally larger than the madrels on your neck turner. This does not allow for a good situation to get a decent turning on them.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Modified case from Stoney Pointe have inside neck ID's that are normally larger than the madrels on your neck turner. This does not allow for a good situation to get a decent turning on them.

Terry </div></div>

Yep, the case necks have to be reamed from the inside to get proper bullet slip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Modified case from Stoney Pointe have inside neck ID's that are normally larger than the madrels on your neck turner. This does not allow for a good situation to get a decent turning on them.

Terry </div></div>
You don't need a perfect job, all you need is for the neck to be small enough to fit the chamber. The shoulder is what's critical.

Hi all, I think I solved the problem. After hearing different ideas I thought hard on just what might work. I used the new modified case that was too large in the neck dia. to fit my .272 chamber and resized the neck with a .268 bushing. I then used 2 different grits of emery cloth to work the inside of the neck. When I thought that I was getting close to the dia. that I needed to have the bullet slip easily through the case, I used a bore brush wrapped with 0000 stl. wool (as described above) and polished the inside neck until I had it where the bul. passed through with ease. Not falling through, but slipping through without resistance. Be sure to check your OAL of the case to see if it now needs trimming. It worked just fine, as I was only off by .003 from useing the "smoke the projectile" method.
However, I will be keeping an eye out for a 5/16 x 36 tap. Bet a guy could rent one for 30 min.for next to nothing. Again, thanks all for the ideas, you worked it out.