• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modify what I have or Sig MCX?

Ape_Factory

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
Thinking out loud here so I came to ask the enablers. Brilliant.

I'm pretty invested in 300 blackout at this point and have a DI version that's SBR'd. A recent purchase of a POF 5.56 piston upper has me lusting for a piston 300 blackout SBR like the Sig MCX Spear.

My current 300BLK has a Law Tactical folder. Prior to the Law Tactical folder, I could get it to work well with either an 8.5" or 10.5" barrels I have on hand. With the Law Tactical, the 8.5 is fussy but the 10.5 runs like a champ with subs supers. I feel like I have the rifle squared away from a functional and reliability standpoint and I have a lot of hand-loaded ammo specifically for this gun. It nice components all-around so it's not a cheap rifle. Gets pretty dirty shooting supers and especially subs.

I do admit a bit of lust for the new Spear however as it's a nice tidy package with a thin folding stock, piston operated and will run that much cleaner. That really appeals to me, especially after using the POF piston upper. A local shop had a pistol version of the Spear on hand so I went to look at it and honestly it's not anything over the top in terms of fit/finish, had an ok trigger and was the color of diseased baby poop. There were a couple of peculiarities but nothing that turned me off to the gun. I probably would have purchased it right then and there but the shop's price was offensive, enough so I'll likely never set foot in that place again. Gun Broker had it for less.

My current rifle is using an ADM lower so the functionality is basically the same with the same sort of layout and controls as the Sig. The Sig gets points for being piston operated, more simple gas adjustment system and the potential (since this one was a pistol) to be thinner when adding a stock and folding up the gun. The barrel is 1.5" shorter than my current setup and it's a factory-built/engineered gun.

With the Law Tactical, due to the extra length, when installing something like an LPVO, you're forced to move it pretty far back on the upper receiver. I currently have a red dot on it but I also have a 1-6x with a 300 blackout reticle. When folded, it's thick.

A second option is to add a POF piston upper. I can get a 10.5" upper and have it in my hand by the end of the week. I'll still have the Law Tactical detractions but it'll be less than half the cost of an MCX. Additionally, I'd have to SBR the Sig and wait for approval and then deal with no parts availability. With the POF, I'm good to go, no Form 1 needed and their piston setups are extremely reliable.

Am I crazy for still wanting the Sig? I've got my feelers out for the pistol version but with the new brace ruling, I may not be able to SBR it once the rule is officially published. So finding one in stock and adding it to my trust prior would be essential.

IMO the MCX or now the Spear LT is the perfect 300blk platform.
-They run like a sewing machines
-Ultra thin using the folding/telescoping stock
-Acceptable weight (Gen 1 MCX auto adj gas sys model is still little lighter than the new Spear)
-Caliber conversions are fun and work flawlessly
-really like the new ambi controls
-personal I like the 50 shades of FDE…
-my Spear trigger is actually not bad

I put the Timney DH3 trigger in my older MCX’s and oh boy is that cool. It’s the kinda of trigger people smile over. Haven’t tried to put it in the Spear yet, it should work.

Get the Spear LT

I didn't think the trigger was bad and ultimately I'd need to get it to the range and determine if it's GTG for me. I use the same trigger with the same trigger pull in all my lowers and they sit at right about 4.5lbs. Going to go over to my range here today and see if they can order me one.

Has Sig made barrels/caliber change kits readily available? I have a Cross and most parts for it are hard to come by. They were supposed to release multiple barrels, barrel extensions and even have a one piece scope/top rail listed in the owner's manual which was never actually produced. I do like to keep at least one extra bolt, if not an entire BCG, for each rifle I own too.

But I agree with your list of highlights.

I didn't think the trigger was bad and ultimately I'd need to get it to the range and determine if it's GTG for me. I use the same trigger with the same trigger pull in all my lowers and they sit at right about 4.5lbs. Going to go over to my range here today and see if they can order me one.

Has Sig made barrels/caliber change kits readily available? I have a Cross and most parts for it are hard to come by. They were supposed to release multiple barrels, barrel extensions and even have a one piece scope/top rail listed in the owner's manual which was never actually produced. I do like to keep at least one extra bolt, if not an entire BCG, for each rifle I own too.

But I agree with your list of highlights.
No kits yet. Assuming it’ll be awhile like everything they’ve done.

I should be receiving my spear LT this week. Having a hard time trying to decide what scope to put on it! Will be a Nightforce for sure. Really want the NX8 2.5-20x50 but budget wise I feel I should put a 2.5-10x42 SHV on it. Don’t want a 1-6or8 optic But will the NX8 be too much on this? Will be for steel plinking and coyote truck gun. Depending on how good it’s shoots MOA it may be used out to 400 yards. Really should save some $$ and put the SHV on it but I will always Have the NX8 on my mind.

Reactions: GLD1980
I should be receiving my spear LT this week. Having a hard time trying to decide what scope to put on it! Will be a Nightforce for sure. Really want the NX8 2.5-20x50 but budget wise I feel I should put a 2.5-10x42 SHV on it. Don’t want a 1-6or8 optic But will the NX8 be too much on this? Will be for steel plinking and coyote truck gun. Depending on how good it’s shoots MOA it may be used out to 400 yards. Really should save some $$ and put the SHV on it but I will always Have the NX8 on my mind.
16” 556? If so the 2.5-20 will be fine. Big fan of the NX8’s (1-8 and 4-32) myself. If you can get behind a 2.5-20 and something similar like a Leupold MK5 or NX8 4-32, you should before you buy. Eye box is pretty tight, especially near the top. Ideally you’ll want the scopes minted so you can really get behind them equally.

So I "Speared" myself. Picked it up tonight.

My current 300 blackout setup on top, and Sig on the bottom (obviously). The top rifle has an ADM lower so the overall function is exactly the same between both. The DI gun, sans the accessories and Law Tactical folder is well under 5 pounds so it's a handy setup. I'm not 100% sold on the Law but it does aid in fitting everything in a smaller bag, especially with the suppressor attached. But it's wide when folded. I'd imagine the Sig will be much more compact in that regard. But the overall length, not including the barrel, is almost identical.

I haven't done much with the Sig as it came in late tonight. I did pull everything apart and I'll clean/lube it tomorrow most likely. It's also getting SBR'd first thing tomorrow morning, well the paperwork will be submitted anyway. My last SBR took 30 days and came in on Monday so we'll see.

One thing I've encountered, the takedown pins are incredibly difficult to push out. Like you'll practically need a punch. And it isn't because the the upper/lower are a tight fit. There's a hint of wobble. I don't see any way to adjust tension like the ADM though.

I did scope the barrel but it'll need to be cleaned before I can tell anything. The crown looks good. I'll also soak the muzzle device in water for 24 hours and pull that off (hopefully!). It'll get an HUXWRX suppressor mount so I can run my 7.62Ti on it.

Overall it feels solid, the controls are nice and I think I'm going to like the trigger. It's a two-stage with a very short, crisp break and short reset. It's actually better than another one I'd checked out at a store in town. That one had a meh trigger for some odd reason. Barrel looks about the same thickness as the Faxon gunner on the DI.

If anyone wants measurements or closeups of anything, let me know, happy to oblige.

Really contemplating turning it some sort of a darker than ODG while I wait for the Form 1 stamp to come in.

Forgot to mention, not a fan of the charging handle. A bit small. I don't think it's a standard AR15 charging handle either. I didn't try swapping them yet.

Awesome.

I think Sig has come along way in the past few years, and while i wouldn't considering the spear a game changer, I think that its currently the most refined, well thought out AR18 on the market and I really like stuff that you can really set up to fit your needs.

This is a big part of the reason I really like LMT.

I could see thinning out the gun safe to make room for a new spear.

Which is
I could see thinning out the gun safe to make room for a new spear.
Which is what I'll likely do with the DI rifle. I'll have to run the Spear first, just to make sure, but really like the combo of the piston and no buffer tube setup. Read through the manual tonight and it's a bit tougher to take down and is not tool-free like a typical DI AR.

Reactions: GUNNER10
Which is

Which is what I'll likely do with the DI rifle. I'll have to run the Spear first, just to make sure, but really like the combo of the piston and no buffer tube setup. Read through the manual tonight and it's a bit tougher to take down and is not tool-free like a typical DI AR.

I used to be pretty biased against piston rifles. I think that piston guns really lagged behind the AR15 for the first 10 years of the GWOT when tons of money got thrown at improving the DI system, but fast forward to today, I think a lot of the concerns that were aired in regard to piston guns being heavier, and not being as smooth shooting have be thoroughly addressed.

I picked up an LMT 12 inch piston, on a whim last year and was really blown away by how smooth it was and how little gas came back while suppressed. I actually think its a smoother shooting set than my 12.5 inch mid-length specwar barrel.

The spear, especially in 300BO just seems like such a nice little package.

I purchased my first piston rifle in 5.56 not too long ago, a POF P415 12.5" SBR and it's definitely heavier than the DI 16" upper I have. But that setup is using a fairly lightweight barrel, carbon hand guard, titanium BCG and a few other light parts. Other than the sound of the mechanics being different, I don't notice the firing impulse really being odd/different. But it kind of sold me on a piston driven SBR setup and it stay so clean in comparison. Anxious to see how subs do though, they're filthy animals.

Not getting rid of the other DI's any time soon and actually have a heavier 16" barrel inbound on Monday. A piston setup in a 16" configuration would probably add two pounds over DI though which is the only downside I see. But for the SBR or dare I say....pistol setups, I think it's the ticket.

Thinking out loud here so I came to ask the enablers. Brilliant.

I'm pretty invested in 300 blackout at this point and have a DI version that's SBR'd. A recent purchase of a POF 5.56 piston upper has me lusting for a piston 300 blackout SBR like the Sig MCX Spear.

My current 300BLK has a Law Tactical folder. Prior to the Law Tactical folder, I could get it to work well with either an 8.5" or 10.5" barrels I have on hand. With the Law Tactical, the 8.5 is fussy but the 10.5 runs like a champ with subs supers. I feel like I have the rifle squared away from a functional and reliability standpoint and I have a lot of hand-loaded ammo specifically for this gun. It nice components all-around so it's not a cheap rifle. Gets pretty dirty shooting supers and especially subs.

I do admit a bit of lust for the new Spear however as it's a nice tidy package with a thin folding stock, piston operated and will run that much cleaner. That really appeals to me, especially after using the POF piston upper. A local shop had a pistol version of the Spear on hand so I went to look at it and honestly it's not anything over the top in terms of fit/finish, had an ok trigger and was the color of diseased baby poop. There were a couple of peculiarities but nothing that turned me off to the gun. I probably would have purchased it right then and there but the shop's price was offensive, enough so I'll likely never set foot in that place again. Gun Broker had it for less.

My current rifle is using an ADM lower so the functionality is basically the same with the same sort of layout and controls as the Sig. The Sig gets points for being piston operated, more simple gas adjustment system and the potential (since this one was a pistol) to be thinner when adding a stock and folding up the gun. The barrel is 1.5" shorter than my current setup and it's a factory-built/engineered gun.

With the Law Tactical, due to the extra length, when installing something like an LPVO, you're forced to move it pretty far back on the upper receiver. I currently have a red dot on it but I also have a 1-6x with a 300 blackout reticle. When folded, it's thick.

A second option is to add a POF piston upper. I can get a 10.5" upper and have it in my hand by the end of the week. I'll still have the Law Tactical detractions but it'll be less than half the cost of an MCX. Additionally, I'd have to SBR the Sig and wait for approval and then deal with no parts availability. With the POF, I'm good to go, no Form 1 needed and their piston setups are extremely reliable.

Am I crazy for still wanting the Sig? I've got my feelers out for the pistol version but with the new brace ruling, I may not be able to SBR it once the rule is officially published. So finding one in stock and adding it to my trust prior would be essential.
This is just an opinion, when I shoot with a can it seems that the piston rifles I have fired tend to push less gas back in my face. I find this to be the case specifically with my Sandman S. I shoot the Sandman with a DD MK18 and a 14.5" Noveske. My comparison upper is made by PWS and is a long stroke piston with an adjustable gas block. I have shot the SIG 7.62 both with a can and without and it handles it very well and all of the ammo we shot worked in the system.

I field stripped the Spear today, took a few photos and weighed a bunch of stuff. The biz end of the barrel is sitting in water for at least 24 hours as they apparently use rocksett for the muzzle device.

Weights!
Upper, stripped, no BCG or handle 2.96lb or 47.3oz
Complete BCG 15.7oz
Charging handle 1.4oz
hand guard 5.5oz
Complete lower w/all controls and trigger, 19oz.

Overall all the parts are very nicely machined and it exudes quality. Even though I hate the color, the cerakote or whatever they use is flawless.

The BCG looks like it's a DLC-type coating which is a bit of a disappointment. I have a Cross with what looks like the same coating and the bolt face coating has mostly flaked off. We'll see how it holds up. The overall design looks very robust with the front portion of the BCG acting as the rod in the piston driven system. Not sure how similar all of this is compared to say a Virtus but it's new to me so I thought I'd share.

The hand guard is easy to remove, two bolts on either side, and it slides off the front. The upper is all one-piece and joins the hand guard in front of the gas block. The sides ride in a groove on the upper and there's a tongue which also sits in a groove. Tons of support in other words and a nice setup.

Here's a Rainier Arms 8.5" Blackout barrel next to the Sig. The sig is a smidge smaller in diameter but notice how far back the gas block is in comparison.

I didn't remove the barrel and left it as is but it seems like a very simple process to remove and replace assuming you can find another barrel.

The entire upper is easily disassembled and while different from a DI gun, nothing seems particularly difficult to take apart or put back together correctly.

Not sure if this is some special coating or if they just left portions of the upper uncoated. Doesn't feel slick, perhaps it's just more wear resistant?

The BCG is fairly easy to disassemble but it will require a 1/16" punch or something similar. There's a metal retaining "spring" that needs to be pushed back in order for the firing pin to drop out. The spring on the firing pin is actually a multi-strand wound spr and not just a simple one wire spring. Nice detail.

Nothing too outrageous about the lower. Everything is machined nicely. The bolt catch/release is one piece (saw someone asking in another thread). All the components operate smoothly minus the takedown pins.

I field stripped the Spear today, took a few photos and weighed a bunch of stuff. The biz end of the barrel is sitting in water for at least 24 hours as they apparently use rocksett for the muzzle device.

Weights!
Upper, stripped, no BCG or handle 2.96lb or 47.3oz
Complete BCG 15.7oz
Charging handle 1.4oz
hand guard 5.5oz
Complete lower w/all controls and trigger, 19oz.

Overall all the parts are very nicely machined and it exudes quality. Even though I hate the color, the cerakote or whatever they use is flawless.

The BCG looks like it's a DLC-type coating which is a bit of a disappointment. I have a Cross with what looks like the same coating and the bolt face coating has mostly flaked off. We'll see how it holds up. The overall design looks very robust with the front portion of the BCG acting as the rod in the piston driven system. Not sure how similar all of this is compared to say a Virtus but it's new to me so I thought I'd share.

The hand guard is easy to remove, two bolts on either side, and it slides off the front. The upper is all one-piece and joins the hand guard in front of the gas block. The sides ride in a groove on the upper and there's a tongue which also sits in a groove. Tons of support in other words and a nice setup.

Here's a Rainier Arms 8.5" Blackout barrel next to the Sig. The sig is a smidge smaller in diameter but notice how far back the gas block is in comparison.

I didn't remove the barrel and left it as is but it seems like a very simple process to remove and replace assuming you can find another barrel.

The entire upper is easily disassembled and while different from a DI gun, nothing seems particularly difficult to take apart or put back together correctly.

Not sure if this is some special coating or if they just left portions of the upper uncoated. Doesn't feel slick, perhaps it's just more wear resistant?

The BCG is fairly easy to disassemble but it will require a 1/16" punch or something similar. There's a metal retaining "spring" that needs to be pushed back in order for the firing pin to drop out. The spring on the firing pin is actually a multi-strand wound spr and not just a simple one wire spring. Nice detail.

Nothing too outrageous about the lower. Everything is machined nicely. The bolt catch/release is one piece (saw someone asking in another thread). All the components operate smoothly minus the takedown pins.

Nice photos.
Finish is anodized. I’m actually a fan of the 50 shades of FDE.
Interesting note: For the $2500 price tag Sig decided not include the taper adapters. Called CS. They are no longer part of the build and oh, they’re on backorder till who knows when. First time I’ve been let down with my Sig CS experience.
Trigger is an odd shape but isn’t horrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30calDeath
What exactly are the taper adapters that you're referring to? I may have to go 50 shades of FDE to find the color interesting. I do like it on the FN Scars but this isn't quite the same.

Reactions: 30calDeath
NVM, I googled it. I have a Cross with a taper adapter, wonder if it's dimensionally identical. No longer have the stock Cross barrel installed so no need for it on said barrel.

I'm in a similar boat. I love the round, but the DI gun with the suppressor gets so filthy after a single mag that it starts jamming. Ive messed with the gas numerous times. Perhaps its an issue with the feed ramps on the barrel. Regardless im either going with the PWS MK109 Mod 2 or a complete piston 300blk out. Im leaning towards the PWS since the lower is already SBR'd and has a Law Folder... same as yours. Id like to hear your experience shooting the new platform suppressed.

I'm in a similar boat. I love the round, but the DI gun with the suppressor gets so filthy after a single mag that it starts jamming. Ive messed with the gas numerous times. Perhaps its an issue with the feed ramps on the barrel. Regardless im either going with the PWS MK109 Mod 2 or a complete piston 300blk out. Im leaning towards the PWS since the lower is already SBR'd and has a Law Folder... same as yours. Id like to hear your experience shooting the new platform suppressed.
Have zero issues shooting my Spear LT suppressed, 300blk Rugged Radiant. I also have one of the original MCX’s with the auto adjusting gas systems in 9” 300blk and 9” 556. Zero issues running it suppressed since 2015 (I think). Really enjoying the platforms.

It'll be about a month before I get to shoot mine as I did a Form 1 on it yesterday and I'll then have to wait to get a stock shipped. My last Form 1 came in 30 days so fingers crossed. Or the whole pistol brace thing could implode before then in which case I'd get to shoot it sooner, LOL. But Sig doesn't ship these with a brace or even a manual. The box it comes in is comically large and it's mostly empty except for the gun, lock, one mag and a few pieces of paper.

On the DI gun, I've really not had any subsonic cycle issues pre-Law Tactical folder. I think the lightweight BCG, buffer and OSS flow-through suppressor really made a difference and I could go to the range and lob a few hundred subsonic rounds without issue. I also used a superlative Arms gas block at first, in bleed mode. But yes, things still got VERY dirty. I use CFE Black on my sub hand loads and it's a dirty powder but cycles everything. If the Spear cycles the Hornady 190 grain Sub-X round without setting the bullet back, I'll be extremely happy.

Reactions: thedude824
It'll be about a month before I get to shoot mine as I did a Form 1 on it yesterday and I'll then have to wait to get a stock shipped. My last Form 1 came in 30 days so fingers crossed. Or the whole pistol brace thing could implode before then in which case I'd get to shoot it sooner, LOL. But Sig doesn't ship these with a brace or even a manual. The box it comes in is comically large and it's mostly empty except for the gun, lock, one mag and a few pieces of paper.

On the DI gun, I've really not had any subsonic cycle issues pre-Law Tactical folder. I think the lightweight BCG, buffer and OSS flow-through suppressor really made a difference and I could go to the range and lob a few hundred subsonic rounds without issue. I also used a superlative Arms gas block at first, in bleed mode. But yes, things still got VERY dirty. I use CFE Black on my sub hand loads and it's a dirty powder but cycles everything. If the Spear cycles the Hornady 190 grain Sub-X round without setting the bullet back, I'll be extremely happy.
I’d be curious to see how the CFE black/Sub X runs in the Spear or in general really. Been pondering SubX and have a bunch of CFE

I have hundreds of Sub-X bullets. Bought before I tried to load them but they wouldn't work reliably with two different barrels from two different manufacturers. The nose of the bullet would invariably not make a smooth entrance into the chamber and I'd get bullet setback and other issues. Even matched everything dimensionally to the factory load. I finally gave up. I think the factory load has a serious crimp on it although I do get setback bullets with them as well. If you chamber one and then extract it, looks pretty banged up.

But love the CFE for its cycling ability. Works with the 190's, 200 and 220 grain projectiles just fine, even with the 8.5" barrel. I will say the 10.5" is easier to load for and get it to cycle correctly. The 9" on the MCX, combined with the gas port being closer, has me a bit concerned but I'm sure Sig did their homework.

Here’s a quick pic… I’ll shoot details after work. My LMT I’m toying around with on the idea getting compact with the ability to operate in vehicle and super confined areas.
3FD84871-6D1E-461A-B72F-5FCFEFD15656.jpeg
F41F2438-86BC-468D-9C5C-0369454AA41B.jpeg
5EAD200D-46A1-4346-BA72-1038ACB9B6F5.jpeg
CA1F30D3-E44C-4871-8A10-4E561CBBBFC3.jpeg
78E4B69B-EC4B-43B2-B5D9-4C9175A12B6B.jpeg

There was one YouTube reviewer that absolutely ripped the new Law BCG a new ass*ole. I almost went that route until I saw the review, the failure to functions issues he was having, and the PITA breakdown procedure for the BCG.

There was one YouTube reviewer that absolutely ripped the new Law BCG a new ass*ole. I almost went that route until I saw the review, the failure to functions issues he was having, and the PITA breakdown procedure for the BCG.
I saw that video, but am not sure if that might be more of a first run issue than it is off poor design. Personally, the shooting while folded is kinda of neat but is honestly not something I would run if it sacrificed reliability. For transportation, I do like the Law folder and have no issues running one on my SBR lower.

Haven’t had a chance to run it yet, in the middle of moving and hopefully might get some range time this weekend. I’ll post results asap.

I saw that video, but am not sure if that might be more of a first run issue than it is off poor design. Personally, the shooting while folded is kinda of neat but is honestly not something I would run if it sacrificed reliability. For transportation, I do like the Law folder and have no issues running one on my SBR lower.
Yeah, I watched his video as well as a few others also but, most of these guys do not know how to tune or mod their weapons correctly. They throw parts at their guns and run and that is understandable! That’s what most will do. If anything is needed I’ll figure it out most ricky-tick!!!

Reactions: GUNNER10
I have been a huge fan of 300BLK since 2011 when I got my AAC MPW, I have been running that 9" SBR ever since so it's fair to say that I am extremely invested in the caliber. I had a KAC SR-30 as well until recently but due to the large money they are bringing I let it go. I don't have any complaints about my MPW in terms of getting too dirty or jamming, it has been great in that regard and it's 1-1.5 moa gun at 100 with 110's even after all of these years. I plan to re-barrel it when it starts to open up. I like what I see and I could be convinced to get one of these Spears to replace it for in the field use though. Slap a thermal optic on it and let it eat pigs for the next 10-15 years. I'd retire the MPW to bedside use with subs where gas to the face isn't a concern. Are these readily available at the moment?

I have been a huge fan of 300BLK since 2011 when I got my AAC MPW, I have been running that 9" SBR ever since so it's fair to say that I am extremely invested in the caliber. I had a KAC SR-30 as well until recently but due to the large money they are bringing I let it go. I don't have any complaints about my MPW in terms of getting too dirty or jamming, it has been great in that regard and it's 1-1.5 moa gun at 100 with 110's even after all of these years. I plan to re-barrel it when it starts to open up. I like what I see and I could be convinced to get one of these Spears to replace it for in the field use though. Slap a thermal optic on it and let it eat pigs for the next 10-15 years. I'd retire the MPW to bedside use with subs where gas to the face isn't a concern. Are these readily available at the moment?
They have been on and off. I managed one and have seen them pop up, but they do go quickly. Heck even palmetto had them advertised on one of there emails a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: tex68w
Got bored, installed the HUXWRX muzzle device along with a bit of FDE pic railing. Was supposed to be ODG but it works. The mag base is yet another shade of FDE. I might reach the magical 50 shades threshold by the time I'm done. The upper's color is basically magnesium and has a slight green tint. Being really patient til my Form1 comes back, haven't fired a single round yet.

Really needs a short or K version of the HUX flow suppressor which doesn't exist (yet), cough. The 7.62Ti is just shy of 7" and still looks comically longish with no stock.