• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modifying a HS stock *Pic. heavy* Updated

kedbeck

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
I've never liked the palmswell on my 700 VSF HS stock. Sanded it down about a year ago but wasn't totally satisfied.
Thought about ordering a McMillan A5 but wasn't sure the grip would fit me 100%.

So, why not modify the HS stock as close to the A5 as possible?

Original stock:
img1023largekq5.jpg

Made a 'blueprint' in paint.
wink.gif

img1023blargepi7.jpg

Cut, filed & sanded:
img0638largeyy3.jpg

img0641largeyk0.jpg

Reinforced with fibreglass and epoxy resin:
img0654large.jpg

img0655largemc4.jpg

Made the texture with some sort of chemical metal. Unfortunatly I forgot to take pics of this step, but there are many online guides on how to do this. As I'm sure you all know.
img0712largeix3.jpg

img0705largeoa6.jpg

I then painted the stock with a 2-component polyurethane paint that i mixed with fine sand to get a 'non-slip' feel and some texture to it.
It is however quite shiny so when the paint has cured I'll try mattening it with some fine steel-wool.
img0702largeul9.jpg

img0701largehm9.jpg

To be continued...

Re: Modifying a HS stock *Pic. heavy*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow.....an out of work body and fender man...... </div></div>

HA HA.....

looks like pretty nice work though....
(the stock comb looks like it may be a bit rough on the face....
laugh.gif
)

Not everybody in Sweden works at SAAB AB...
wink.gif

Face-peeling? =)
I have an Eagle stock pack that will go on top.

Well done,
a tip, to laminate around tight corners get some Koeper or twill woven glass fabric. So much nicer to use than the linnen weave and a tiny bit stronger.
I am always worried about using sand in the matrix as it might make shit of the paint job on the car if one throws the rifle on the hood or roof. Otherwise it works a treat.
Like you I thought the HS palmswell is a bit much, but I only hunt.

edi

Yes, if I'm going to laminate something else I'll definitely get twill woven fabric. I had to sand it down and lay a new layer at 3 or 4 spots because I couldn't get the air out at the corners.

But the store only had this fabric in stock so there wasn't much to choose from.

Man it looks like you just pulled that thing out of the La Brea tar pits.
grin.gif
Just yanking your chain. How far did you sand the grip area down? Did you sand all the way through the outer shell? I'm curious because I've got one that I may do the same thing to if I don't sell it.

David

grin.gif

Yep, through the shell. Where I have my thumb I used a Dremel to cut a couple of centimeters into the core, all the way down to the aluminium frame. You can actually see a piece of it at the 'back' of the grip.

I hope my laminate is strong enough so the stock won't break in half by the recoil.
smile.gif

I just got in a "baker special" with adjustable cheek piece,
it looks thinner behind the grip than yours, and you reinforced yours,
I bet it will be fine....
wink.gif

Andy

It's done. For now anyway. =)
Judges?

img0724largekv4.jpg

img0728largenc5.jpg

img0732largemc1.jpg

img0734largebh4.jpg

i dig it enough to try mine lol thanks for the nice walk through. i think im going to also do and adj cheeck piece

Good luck!
Don't forget the pics when it's done.