• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Modifying AIAE MKI for AICS mags??

sab9259

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
NC
Has anyone completed or heard of anyone modifying a AIAE MKI chassis to accept the AICS mags like the MKII and MKIII? It appears that the bolt catch is in the same place.

Are the actions any different between the MKI and the newer series to hinder this modification??

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
the chassis mag well needs to be opened up to accommodate the wide aics mags

There seems to be plenty of material there to mill, have you ever heard/seen it done?

Last edited:
I have heard of someone doing it but I cannot remember who it was, personally I wouldn't bother, the only mod I would do is to make it run AW mags but that isn't possible since you would have to mod the action as well as the mag well

Having both a MKI and MKIII I have thought hard about it. I think it is feasible but my conclusion is to leave the MK1 as is. I think if I put my MKI up for sale with it modded I would have a harder time selling it than if I left it alone.

I was just thinking if the actions on the mki and the mkii we're the same then the modifcation would be easy, just cut in the mill and go on with 10rd AICS mags. I just hate to mod the chassis and be stuck with a $3000 singleshot.