• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Modifying AICS 2.0 chassis to accept CIP mags?

ricard13

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2019
Hello, I have an AICS 2.0 LA chassis that I am looking to build into a 300 prc. Finding info is scarce but I have found a few things suggesting it is possible to open up the inside of the chassis to accept longer cip length mags.

I’m looking for info from anyone here who has done this or any shops that have done it. Pictures of what had to be milled internally would be a huge bonus. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9848.jpeg
    IMG_9848.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
info given to me by MDT for their long action chassis that natively take 3.715 mags, to make it fit the CIP 3.850 mags

MDT said:
A: Hi, your Howa 1500 300PRC will physically fit anyone of our Howa 1500 LA chassis, but these chassis are set up to work with AICS long action 3.715" magazines, and that internal length is too short for most 300PRC rounds. To make the CIP 3.850 300PRC to fit, the magazine well would have to be extended forward by 0.135-inches.

so find a machinist or a 'smith who can machine 135thou out of the front of your mag well...

having said that, I have found that hornady factory 300prc rounds with the 200gn ELDX do fit in MDT long action AICS mags made for 300 winchester magnum - what you loose is the ability to roll your own and seat them out closer to the lands, in my howa, the longest I can seat at mag length (same as factory ammo) leaves me jumping about 40 thou to the rifling.

Ive done a few. Nothing too major. Find a local smith, should be able to sort you out.

Hello, I have an AICS 2.0 LA chassis that I am looking to build into a 300 prc. Finding info is scarce but I have found a few things suggesting it is possible to open up the inside of the chassis to accept longer cip length mags.

I’m looking for info from anyone here who has done this or any shops that have done it. Pictures of what had to be milled internally would be a huge bonus. Thanks!
Be cautious with your mods.

Most actions have a pretty consistent dimension between the centerline of the front action screw and the start of the feed ramp.
The diff between SAAMI and CIP is usually adjusted by moving the REAR of the magazine box/well on DBM bottom metals and chassis during design work.

It would be too invasive to adjust the rear of your existing chassis magwell backward because the mag latch hosting geometry would have to move with it.

If you take all of your material from the front of the magazine well, you will likely get bullet tips getting hung up under the leading edge of your feed ramp. You then have to notch the ramp to allow feeding.

While I have done it on a few short actions and it was standard on some actions like later model Surgeons, I am a believer that notching the ramp is simply a ghetto work-around to DBMs or chassis that placed the magwell in the wrong point in space to begin with.

./

Reactions: Average guy
hi, I’ve got basically the same problem as the original post, except I already have a bergara premier barreled action in 300 prc. The bargara action is already notched and there’s plenty of room for the bullet in the front of the magwell for the bullet not to get caught when feeding. I’m wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a smith who can and has done a project like this as I have been turned away by a couple already.