• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Modifying OAL on Accurate .223 mag

longrange2

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Rocky Mountains
I just got an Accurate .223 magazine that I need to modify for a longer COAL. These have a max of 2.350 and my COAL is 2.550; rifle is throated long for 75 gr AMAX. What is the best way to open up the plastic insert to allow a longer COAL? I haven't had much time to work with the mag yet so I'm not sure if the inserts come out or if I will have to mod them inside the mag body. Has anyone done this mod? I've Googled some and haven't been able to find any posts about that. I have two of the AI plastic mags but they are just not working with my rifle, feed problems and don't lock up tight. I want to give the Accurate mag a try to see if it is better.

I pull the inserts out and put them in the mill. In the front you can mill out about .180 forward and its about .200 thick at the thickest part. That will get you another .180 of length roughly. If you needed more length you could mill the inserts the full length also.

My COAL with 70gr Nosler RDF = 2.379

If a mill is not in your shop or garage, a small round file will get the job done too.