• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mods for a NOOB with a 700 SPS

ponchonorm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2009
Whiteside County, Illinois
I'm sure this has been asked a million times. Tried to search but couldn't come up with the answer i was looking for. Picked up a 700 SPS Tactical in .223. Put on an EGW 0MOA base, Burris XTR low rings, and a Wonder Optics 4-14x50 scope. Changed out the stock with a B&C Tactical Medalist.
Now, what are some of the easier, less expensive " To-Do" mods to help gain some accuracy? Some of the little tricks. I do load my own rounds so will be working on that some more. Basically, mods that i could do or have a smith do without breaking my miniscule bank account. Thanks in advance.

Ponchonorm

Re: Mods for a NOOB with a 700 SPS

Just shoot as much as possible, practice will help more than any mod at this point.

You might try widening the free float channel in the factory hogue stock though, it flexes a lot and can touch the barrel when rested on a bipod/sandbag.

Trigger, ammo, and range time. Range time is key. You wont know what mods you need or want without practice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisDellwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just shoot as much as possible, practice will help more than any mod at this point.

You might try widening the free float channel in the factory hogue stock though, it flexes a lot and can touch the barrel when rested on a bipod/sandbag. </div></div>

He said he changed out the stock to B&C. +1 on practicing though.

You can adjust the trigger at you own risk or have a smith do it (google remington trigger adjustment). Use epoxy to bed the stock yourself or again have a smith do it.

Another good MOD would be to sign up for the online training if you havent already. cheapest and most effective mod your going find.

Its a lot of fun to go out and get all the high speed shit thats available but they wont beat fundamentals

This is what i like about this forum. Straight forward no BS answers. As soon as the weather straightens out will be at the range ALOT more. Great thing about working 3-11, usually have the place to myself.

Find yourself some of the how to threads on bedding stocks . A bedding kit is cheap and scary as it is to do the first one they are not bad . This will help with consistency and keep your POI from shifting when you pull your rifle apart and put it back together . Invest in a inch pound torque wrench if you don't have one as well .

Sounds like you have a nice setup.
Now find a good brand of factory ammo your rifle likes, and buy a bunch.

If you roll your own, then find that magic pill and stick with it.

One of the best tools you can use is a good rangefinder, i like the bushnell elite 1500 arc.

Another useful item would be a good set of dope cards or you can make your own once you find that right ammo/handload.

Have fun and welcome to the hide!

Welcome to the hide.

Skim bed your stock, get a Timney trigger, and hit the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
He said he changed out the stock to B&C. +1 on practicing though.
</div></div>

My mistake, missed that part. Sounds like he has a decent kit going for starters then, just shoot as much as possible. That's my plan
smile.gif

I will second the online training. Of course you have to have a rifle that will shoot pretty well, and from the build you described you have that pretty well naild down. The absolute best return for your money will be the online training. Untile Frank and Jacob started that, I thought I was a pretty good shot and only needed some things refined. Well now on a monthly basis I find that I have no fucking clue as to what I'm doing with a rifle but that is slowly changing and what I thought was a good group half a year ago is now frankly a disappointment.

That was pretty long winded but I can't stress enough how important all the fundimentals that are covered are to you getting the most outta your rifle.

Good Luck and welcome to the Hide.

One super easy thing and its FREE!! Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. It will make your range time better but make sure you are doing this correctly. Take a video of yourself or have some one watching. Also the best 10 bucks a month you can spend is the online training. They could easily charge 20 30 40 bucks for this but dont.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skim bed your stock, get a Timney trigger, and hit the range. </div></div>

What about a Rifle Basix 1.5 - 3 lb replacement trigger instead?

Not long ago I set a friend up with a R700 in .308. The first thing I had him do was a trigger job. Its cheap and quick even if you don't do it yourself. Then as others have said practice, practice, practice.