• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modular Bolt Rifle advice needed please.

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    For over the past 10 years I've been strictly shooting long range precision with semi autos but in light of today's political climate I thought it best to start getting back into bolt action rifles.

I like the modularity that semi autos provide and the fact that I can do all work at home is what really attracts me to those kinds of setups. From what I understand there are several custom actions on the market now that give the end user the same freedom for at home builds.

I'm currently looking at the impact precision 737R for .260 and the 787R for 300PRC. As for the Prefit Barrels I was hoping to try the new carbon wrapped Bartlein with thier new unicorn cock super steel.

I'm a big fan of the American Precision Arms muzzle brakes so I'll probably stick with them.
    For triggers I had my eye on the Tubb T17T I really like the idea of a adjustable trigger shoe.

Now if the the Action and barrel assembly are really plug and play like I understand them to be my main concern is what chassis platform works best for the Impact Action???

I was thinking about the KRG Whiskey 3 or the KMW SENTINEL with the I.M.B

If there is anything that I am missing or misunderstanding about these new actions with pre-fit barrels please feel free to chime in, any and all guidance from people who are currently building their own precision bolt actions is appreciated.

Don’t forget Bighorn; changing caliber is just a bolt head away

Reactions: EN2722
    There are a bunch of actions that can do this, bighorn, terminus, impact, lone peak, arc, and others. The one area that tends to have some variation is trigger which is generally still ok, but the tubb likely will require a little opening up of the chassis to fit. I have had several different chassis/action combos and like the krg but ones like xlr are also good. If you have basic to moderate skills it should be fine.

If it were me I'd be doing those on either a Zermatt TL3 or Lone Peak Fuzions over impact.

But you couldn't go wrong with either of the 3.

Mainly CRF and ME versus push feed.

Throw terminus in if you like 60 degree

As far as the tubb...they aren't very popular for a few different reasons

Tubb T7T is not compatible with the Impact trigger hanger last I checked.

It is a very good trigger and will work in the TL3.

The geiselle and trigger tech 2 stages may/should work on the the impact but I’d verify first.

If it were me I'd be doing those on either a Zermatt TL3 or Lone Peak Fuzions over impact.

But you couldn't go wrong with either of the 3.

Mainly CRF and ME versus push feed.

Throw terminus in if you like 60 degree

As far as the tubb...they aren't very popular for a few different reasons

I use the Triggertech AR Diamond series in my Semi-auto's so I'm sure I'll be happy with them in a bolt rifle.

I get the appeal of the TL3 but what does the Lone peak have over the impact??

Impact/Foundation setups are badass imo

The Tubb T7T’s are nice triggers for sure and one of the more adjustable triggers on the market but they are a pain in the ass because they are so damn big they don’t fit without material removal in most stocks/chassis. Also, I’m not sure if they fixed this issue or not but I bought one of the first ones and it had a defect where if the trigger was depressed while on safe then the trigger is let back out, when you switch the safety off, the gun would fire.
    There have been no changes to the safety design of a T7T.. Since the T7T blocks the firing pin when engaged the stroke of the safety arm requires adequate operating room to the rear. Try your barreled action out of the stock/chassis and confirm the safety operates. Reinstall into the stock/chassis and operate the safety again. If it functions as you have described (rifle fires after pulling the trigger to the rear and releasing then disengaging the safety) then material removal in the stock/chassis at the back of the safety arm is in order. Basically giving safety arm more room to move rearward.

As far a fitting the T7T - it was designed to fit into a remington 700 wooden stock without the trigger cavity needing modification.

Have you considered looking at a single multi-caliber setup like one of the following; Desert Tech SRS, Barrett MRAD, Accuracy International, Cadex, etc... These companies/rifles offer systems that can switch from short action to long action in a single platform.

Intial cost may seem high but if you were going to buy a short and a long action plus; 2 barrels, 2 chassis, 2 triggers, 2 scopes. A single multi-caliber system might actually save you money.

Just something to consider if you haven't already

Take a hard look at the Accuracy International AXMC or ASR. This is a modular system where you can change rifle elements easily, including barrel/caliber swaps between short and long action.

I use the Triggertech AR Diamond series in my Semi-auto's so I'm sure I'll be happy with them in a bolt rifle.

I get the appeal of the TL3 but what does the Lone peak have over the impact??
    bolt open and close feel

also not running an impact/foundation like all the cool kids

Have you considered looking at a single multi-caliber setup like one of the following; Desert Tech SRS, Barrett MRAD, Accuracy International, Cadex, etc... These companies/rifles offer systems that can switch from short action to long action in a single platform.

Intial cost may seem high but if you were going to buy a short and a long action plus; 2 barrels, 2 chassis, 2 triggers, 2 scopes. A single multi-caliber system might actually save you money.

Just something to consider if you haven't already

I've had an AI system before and I wasn't impressed with it, because at the end of the day it may be modular but you're still limited in using that specific brands proprietary parts and they are usually much more expensive.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    I’m biased. I have an Origin in a Bravo and love it. I just about sold it here to get an AI, but i love the feel of it. Enough so, getting a second barrel/bolt head for it is in the cards. It was my budget build that got a little out of hand, but couldn’t be happier. I’ve had a TL3 before, but the Origin does everything it can do.

Maybe grab an Origin BA from KeyStone, drop it into your chassis of choice with trigger, and get shooting? That’s the advice I was given by some of the gentlemen here.

Attachments

• 27ED9B91-D3DC-4FEE-A2E5-FC482C7B6610.jpeg
      27ED9B91-D3DC-4FEE-A2E5-FC482C7B6610.jpeg
      494.6 KB · Views: 31