• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mohawk 600 build

Prknives

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
Reno,NV
Finally decided to build myself a rifle, going to use my old Mohawk 600 as the base. Picked up a criterion lite Varmint remage in 308 from nss, just threaded the muzzle on the new barrel and will work with a gunsmith friend to blueprint the action and install the barrel, should be a fun project and I’ll post pics as it progresses

Are you going to use the factory plastic blind magazine or have you a different idea. Is there a reason you're choosing .308Win? Just inexpensive. short range fun?

I like the 600s, just don't see many of them out there.

I saw someone use a model seven ptg bottom metal, have to drill and tap a new hole for the rear tang screw then use a 700 trigger and a model 7 stock, have a ton of 30cal stuff, brass dies etc so I figured I’d start off with what I’ve got, then eventually switch to some sort of 6.5 which won’t be too difficult with the remage system

I haven't plumbed it together yet but I have a Model 7 with the aluminum PTG AI-pattern DBM and you don't have to redrill the rear screw hole. I did just because it makes sense to do so; the factory rear action screw's something stupid like a #8-36.

Good luck with your build. I hope you include progress updates.

B159B99C-65BA-4A72-8D2C-9414CF2A4C98.jpeg
FB0AED88-CADD-4013-BA45-AD20DA514D20.jpeg
8BE4DB37-138A-48C9-AC62-001A60D1EDC8.jpeg

Little update on the build, just finished up fitting the action and barrel to the stock

Had to make some clearance cuts on the bottom metal for the new trigger now I’m just waiting on a tap for the rear action screw, apply bedding, and should be able to test fire by this weekend

Got it out to the range today to break it in, shooting good so far and better yet nothing blew up! Now to work up about a million different loads