• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jperk0278

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2014
I’m looking into buying one of these and tuning/customizing for home defense use.
After listening to a Vortex Nation podcast with Josh Froelich, in which
he talked about the reliability and performance of his competition shotgun, it got my wheels turning.
Apparently, his was tuned and customized by Dissident Arms but I’m thinking about getting a base model and customizing it myself. Has anyone done this who can comment on their build?

changed out the forend, better grip, and collapsible stock... not much else to do it really, short of going the SBS route.

changed out the forend, better grip, and collapsible stock... not much else to do it really, short of going the SBS route.
Thanks for the reply. Is there anything that places like Dissident Arms do to tune them up to operate smoother or more reliably, or are they pretty good right out of the box?

In my experience... the VEPR's are good to go out of the box. My has not had any issues shooting anything from bird shot to slugs / 00 buck (my go to rounds). Got around 800 rounds through it...

Reactions: Jperk0278
Mine had some failure to eject initially with birdshot, buckshot was no problem and easy recoiling given the weight. I've heard this isn't much of a problem after a hundred rounds or so. Or you can order a lighter recoil spring, which i have bought but haven't tried yet.

I would agree as well. Mine out of the box was a little finicky with light bird shot loads. But, I ran a bunch of 00 buck and slugs through it and it smoothed out and worked the recoil spring in a bit. Then it wild run bird shot.

If you are getting it for home defense. Then I wouldn’t worry about doing much of anything to it as long as you are going to run full power self defense loads.

Just got two back from dissident, shot them once and they seem to run well. Out of the box they ran pretty well on factory mags but not well enough that I would rely on it for defense.