• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Moly coated bullets

evibat528

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
CA
Anyone use moly coated bullets? I've heard they can increase velocities but fouls the barrel more than copper. I have read somethings about it but want to know if anyone has any first hand experience.

Re: Moly coated bullets

Google is your friend!!! I have shot over 2000 moly coated 115 DTACs out of a T2K. Will be switching to HbN soon. Not by choice but because DTubb no longer offers moly. You may have opened a can of worms.LOL

Use the search here on SH. You will find thousands of posts about it. Pro's/Con's.
I have been useing it for years.

Thanks guys. sorry for the newbie in me, but i tried to do a search and nothing came up for me even when i did the advance search. But I will start with this.

Moly is simply a dry lube. It reduces friction, which reduces pressure, which reduces velocity. It also reduces copper fouling (the primary benefit in my opinion).

It will allow you to increase your powder charge and get a bit more velocity at equal pressure. It reduces copper fouling to the point you can literally shoot hundreds of rounds between cleanings.

If you use it, the idea is to leave it in the bore. It's counterproductive to try to clean it out after shooting.

Some folks bitch about getting their fingers dirty when using it, so if that is an issue for you, you might not like it.

Shooters who use top-shelf barrels claim little to no copper fouling anyway, so your mileage may vary.

MontanaMarine is right on! I have used moly for over 10 years now on all my rifle rounds. I started using it for service rifle competition and the best thing is the cold bore shot was always where you wanted it. One thing I don't advise is putting steel shot in your tumbler when you moly as the steel is too hard for the copper jackets and can actually swage your bullets if tumbled to long. I just use bullet on bullet for the small calibers and copper BB's with the larger 7mm and up calibers and don't tumble for more than 30-45 minutes. then I shake mine around in a huge plastic bowl with an old towel to polish and get off any dust remaining.

I have had no issues with moly at all , if your trying to get all of it out of a barrel its going to be frustrating .
in short I like it

I use moly & also hBN. Moly for over 12 years. living here in the South and I have no issues with moly. Just remember to lube after shooting as with anything else. You still clean the chamber but you can run an oiled patch through bore and that suffices. I'm not talking about factory barrels either. I do this with my GAP built rifle , my T2K & the Billy Stevens "Shorty".
Now if I could just remedy the "Operator Error"...

yes they do I,have used nosler 180ct lebox coat simlar to moly.
you need to clean you rifle very good at the rang or as soon as you get home.I mean clean it very good.i,did not and my moa went from 1.5-13inch!!!!! and that aft 3or 4shots mind you my rem.300700rem is only a cdl with pencil type barrel,now I,looking at milspec 5r you guys like this one as your reports say.hope to find a mil spec at a good cost.
my son just finish coll and still have soon notes to pay like the rest of you dad's.