• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

molybdendum powder for lube?

Killswitch Engage

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
ohio
i have a aquired some moly disulfide powder and was wondering if anyone has used it for a case neck lube for sizing case necks etc. i would assume it could be used sparingly and need not be wiped out when used. am i thinking wrong here?

Re: molybdendum powder for lube?

When I first started shooting over-the-course Highpower, in his kit I found a little 1-1/2 inch or so metal can with stem inside the middle and a fiber washer at its top, and a ring on the inside top so you saw the stem inside a half-inch or so hole. It was marked with the manufacturer and was called a graphite neck luber or something like that. You were supposed to use larger or smaller fiber washers on the stem to sorta make sure any clumps (?) of excess powder went down instead of following the case mouth out.

The graphite was long-gone, having been replaced with some MoSO2 powder. I used it for years on my Garand reloads (I was also using the case lube on a dedicate stamp inkpad back then) and it worked just great.

The can of Moly is 6-7 inches tall, maybe 2 inches in diameter, and probably had 2 inches of airspace at the top when he bought it. It's still probably 1/4-full.

The device never deposited enough stuff inside the case mouth to create any of the advantages or disadvantages of moly-coating bullets. No wandering zeros, etc. The stuff just worked fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I first started shooting over-the-course Highpower, in his kit I found a little 1-1/2 inch or so metal can with stem inside the middle and a fiber washer at its top, and a ring on the inside top so you saw the stem inside a half-inch or so hole. It was marked with the manufacturer and was called a graphite neck luber or something like that. You were supposed to use larger or smaller fiber washers on the stem to sorta make sure any clumps (?) of excess powder went down instead of following the case mouth out.

The graphite was long-gone, having been replaced with some MoSO2 powder. I used it for years on my Garand reloads (I was also using the case lube on a dedicate stamp inkpad back then) and it worked just great.

The can of Moly is 6-7 inches tall, maybe 2 inches in diameter, and probably had 2 inches of airspace at the top when he bought it. It's still probably 1/4-full.

The device never deposited enough stuff inside the case mouth to create any of the advantages or disadvantages of moly-coating bullets. No wandering zeros, etc. The stuff just worked fine. </div></div>

soooo....do you think this stuff would work ok if i just applied it to the inside of a case mouth with a q-tip or something?

I use molly with steel bb's I bought the kit form neco probably 12 years ago.

dgunn:

Yes, it should work just fine. The little can to dunk the case necks in would be a lot faster, though.

You could make a reasonable facsimile by cutting off the bottom of a 35mm film cannister so there's at least a half-inch left to the lid (or an inch...), hot-gluing a new bottom on, and punching a 1/2-inch hole in the lid.

Your case necks--the outsides--will get fingers and stuff black if you don't tumble or hand-wipe the rounds after loading. I never bothered with those steps.

Works good for neck sizing. I think I use #12 shot in a cap off some bathroom aerosol item. Been using it for 10 years or more.

When we first started using moly around '96 the stuff came in a 35mm can. We used a popsickle stick to dip a little out and add to the plastic jars of bb's we used to tumble/plate bullets. Just dip necks like the previous posters said and it will work fine.

AG

thanks all...what i was after is a good lube of sorts for full length sizing so the expander ball has less of an impact on my brass. am i on the right track? are you guys saying you use it for the bullet to seat in the case as well?

I always left the stuff on both the inside and outside of the case when seating the bullets.

Didn't clean it off the outsides after loading, either. Worked great.

I've been using it since 1980 and I can't see a thing the matter with it. I use a little plastic bowl with a few #9 shot in it and just dip the case in it. Be sure and shake the case because sometimes it will act like a cookie cutter.
larryj