• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Monocular help

camocorvette

Send it
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    I am about to buy a cheap NV monocular.
    Screenshot_20210225-205210_Chrome.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions for that 600>700 price range that would work better? Also the data sheet on specs? FOV, mag, generation.

Uses are just handheld spotting coyotes and raccoons in the field. Looking at stars and scenery. Exploring the night.

Don't need to video record but couldn't find many that don't.

Thanks!

Edit:
    I'm assuming just wait to get lucky on a used set of pvs14's here would be the smarter option.?

Last edited:
    When it comes to NV and thermal you seem to “get what you pay for”. I’ve been researching monocular NV and thermal for a couple months. And while it’s telling to pull the trigger on these more budget friendly options it’s highly likely you’ll end up disappointed in their performance in the long run.

Ive personally made the decision to save up and do it right. I work hard for my money and need to spend it wisely. The price of Photonis G3 green and WP tubes is becoming pretty good. Finding a PVS14 with those tubes is a solid option. And won’t let you down.

thermal is another animal. Depends on what you want to do with it. Scan vs Aim.

figure out if you need aiming capability vs purely scanning. That will narrow the options fairly quick.

Reactions: camocorvette
    I am about to buy a cheap NV monocular.
    View attachment 7567045

Does anyone have any suggestions for that 600>700 price range that would work better? Also the data sheet on specs? FOV, mag, generation.

Uses are just handheld spotting coyotes and raccoons in the field. Looking at stars and scenery. Exploring the night.

Don't need to video record but couldn't find many that don't.

Thanks!

Edit:
    I'm assuming just wait to get lucky on a used set of pvs14's here would be the smarter option.?

Digital is no where near the performance of analog i2. If you are only a casual user or your expectations are low, you might try it. I skipped the digital phase of the disease known as NVG-syndrome.

If you have to do something like that, id vote sionyx. Although ultimately i would recommend saving up about $2k that would get you entry level gen 3.
    Not trying to hijack this thread but What would you recommend for a entry level gen3 for $2k? That’s my budget right now, I’ve been looking around but there’s so many out there it’s hard to decide.

Not trying to hijack this thread but What would you recommend for a entry level gen3 for $2k? That’s my budget right now, I’ve been looking around but there’s so many out there it’s hard to decide.
    For a Little more you could get into an xlsh system (white phosphor) with a 10 yr warranty from TNVC

Thank you guys so far for the input.

So its my co-worker that wants to buy one. He had a bushnell from the mid 2000's that lasted like ten years. It was Gen 1 and he was happy with it.

I've already told him to just get a pvs14. Which he likes the idea, just not the price. His main reason is he wants something cheap his GF can grab and throw in the side by side and look at stuff at night. That way if it breaks its not to terrible of a loss.

So is there really anything that is worth spending the 600-700 bucks on that fits that need?

Thanks

When it comes to NV and thermal you seem to “get what you pay for”. I’ve been researching monocular NV and thermal for a couple months. And while it’s telling to pull the trigger on these more budget friendly options it’s highly likely you’ll end up disappointed in their performance in the long run.

Ive personally made the decision to save up and do it right. I work hard for my money and need to spend it wisely. The price of Photonis G3 green and WP tubes is becoming pretty good. Finding a PVS14 with those tubes is a solid option. And won’t let you down.

thermal is another animal. Depends on what you want to do with it. Scan vs Aim.

figure out if you need aiming capability vs purely scanning. That will narrow the options fairly quick.
    Thank you!

So he just wants to scan. No aiming or mounting options needed.

So it looks like for the price. A aurora black with a IR light will work. Not expecting stellar results. But probably better then gen one russian NV?
    If anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear.
    Thanks again

There are plenty of pvs-14’s in gp for 1800-2200. I just sold a whole setup with a ballistic helmet and mount with a pvs-14 for 2k