• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Monocular or another scope...

Texaslongshot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
So I have a thermal scope but am considering another purchase because my son and I hunt together. Would I have more hunting success if I got another thermal scope/rifle setup. Or get a helmet mounted monocular and work as a spotter/shooter arrangement....

If I was going hunting with people I knew, I'd want to be able to participate fully, so I'd want a second scope. You can dismount the scope if you want and hold it up to scan with. But you also have the option for both to hunt. By using your elbows on your chest, you can support the gun and transfer weight to your body, so you can scan while holding up. Just assign sectors, so you are scanning "back to back" and not scanning each other.

That said, if I am guiding people I don't know, I do not shoot, I'm the safety guy, making sure the team shoots only when a valid target exists, etc. So I'd want monoculars for that purpose.

But there's also a lot of personal preference involved, and we can't judge that for you guys.

Last edited: