• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monolithic bullets and accuracy

I work with a few guys that moved from California about 6 years ago. They said the northern part of the state is really beautiful.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
The way that the state of California is shaped, you could probably drive an hour and be in another state. Go hunting in one of those border states where you dont have to use non-leaded bullets....
I am originally from Texas and hunt there when possible but it’s all high fences now and really isn’t hunting anymore; more like going to a live grocery store. Though I do love busting pigs there! It’s hard to justify going out of state to hunt when I have roughly 3.7 million acres to hunt less than a 1/2 mile from my front door. Yes 3.7million acres and that is just one zone close to me; probably pushing 10+ Million acres if you count all the land I have access to within an hour of me.

Nah, I figured you lived elsewhere, but there's so much game in CA it's hard to justify heading elsewhere in a lot of cases. I never truly appreciated the outdoors until I moved to the West Coast with all the public land out here, makes me sad to think of my native state of Texas and all that land snapped up and walled off behind fences and trespass law.
Good fences make good neigbors.

curious if you throw that into the mix if it might get you the droids you're looking for.

Just a bit more info. Both my Savage 260 Rem's ( 1.8 twist ) also shoot beautifully with the Barnes 6.5 100gr TTSX . 47grs of IMR 4350 & 3260 FPS, 22" bbl . Three shot groups with bullet holes almost touching. A very safe load in both of my 260 Sabage rifles. These bullets will take the heaviest of deer.

UPDATE.... So it’s been almost a YEAR since this was posted and I am still have issues. I have tried everything posted above 10 times over and still can barely get 1.25 moa out of this rifle with monos. I have switched to the Lehigh 130gr Controlled Chaos bullets as of now they give me the most consistency at 1.25moa and the occasional moa group. For a hunting rifle this will do though I would like more. I am pushing this with 41.5gr of H4350 @2830 fps. I still haven’t tried the Hammer Hunters but those are on the list whenever I can get some.

Buy a box of the 124gr Hammer Hunters and you won’t be disappointed. I’ve hunted with Hammers the past two years and they have been very accurate out of my 6.5 PRC but the Creedmoor is next on my list to load for.

Buy a box of the 124gr Hammer Hunters and you won’t be disappointed. I’ve hunted with Hammers the past two years and they have been very accurate out of my 6.5 PRC but the Creedmoor is next on my list to load for.
I went with the 110gr HH, I haven’t shot them for a group yet due to high winds here in the desert where I live. After the amount of 127-130gr weight bullets I have shot through my CM I am all but convinced that class of projectiles is just wrong for my rifle.

Also I measured my twist rate after some suggestions and while it is advertised as a 1:8 I found it to be 1:8.25 which also maybe effecting that grain weight class of bullets.

I know this isn’t a group to write home about but finally after a year and a half I have found a load that will group under 1” at 100 yards. I also realize this is only a 3 shot group but it’s my hunting rifle; as long as it can do this I am good. 110hr Hammer Hunters 41.0gr of Varget seated to an Ogive of 2.175 in Peterson Brass with a 210M primer.

Attachments

• B0F46153-44DA-473E-B39C-8937D4BE2C4C.jpeg
    B0F46153-44DA-473E-B39C-8937D4BE2C4C.jpeg
    938.1 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: brianf and Slides
I know this isn’t a group to write home about but finally after a year and a half I have found a load that will group under 1” at 100 yards. I also realize this is only a 3 shot group but it’s my hunting rifle; as long as it can do this I am good. 110hr Hammer Hunters 41.0gr of Varget seated to an Ogive of 2.175 in Peterson Brass with a 210M primer.
Sounds like another hammer winner and convert!

Reactions: swarrick

What is your cartridge overall length with these loads? Velocity and barrel length? Thanks—because I have some of these 110’s to load and try.

Solids like the Barnes hunting bullets and Hornady GMX do not require faster twists. They're lighter weight but similar length vs. cup&core to achieve similar SGs.

The Hornady 70 grain GMX is significantly longer than the heavier, Hornady 75 grain SBR.

70_gmx_vs_75_sbr_02b-1912318.jpg

The Hornady 70 grain GMX is significantly longer than the Sierra 69 grain MatchKing.

70_gmx_vs_69_smk_003-1912331.jpg

The Barnes 70 grain TSX is significantly longer than the heavier, Speer 75 grain Gold Dot.

barnes_70_tsx_versus_speer_75_grain_gold-1912601.jpg

The Barnes 70 grain TSX is significantly longer than the Sierra 69 grain MatchKing.

barnes_70_tsx_vs_sierra_69_matchking_003-1912606.jpg

The Sierra 69 grain MatchKing is readily stabilized from a 1”9” twist barrel.

69_smk_10_shot_group_at_100_yards_002-1912350.jpg

When the Barnes 70 grain TSX is fired from a 1:9” twist barrel, it begins to keyhole at 100 yards.

70_grain_TSX_keyhole_at_100_yards_01_res-1912432.jpg

70_grain_TSX_keyhole_at_100_yards_01_clo-1912431.jpg

When the Sierra 69 grain MatchKing is fired from a 1:9” twist barrel, it has a worst-case gyroscopic stability factor of 1.43. When the Barnes 70 grain TSX is fired from a 1:9” twist barrel, it has a worst-case gyroscopic stability factor of 0.96; hence the keyholing.

@Molon

My post was in reference to the guys running the uber-long solids for the ELR game that require twists considerably faster than what is typical for cup & core bullets.

The 129gr 6.5mm GMX is comparable in length to a 140gr 6.5mm pill and will be stable in a 1:8" twist, the 165gr .30 cal GMX is comparable to a 180gr .30 cal cup&core bullet and will be fine in a 1:12 or 1:10 twist, etc... The lineup is stable in standard twists.

The 70 GMX is fine in a 1:7 or 1:7.7 twist, and while you're correct they may very likely have issues in a 1:9 twist, I'd reckon those barrels are vastly the minority these days.

Obviously weight-for-weight the less-dense bullet is going to be longer. A 53gr GMX is much longer than a 53gr V-max and a 1:12" twist is not advisable for the GMX, but is perfectly fine for the Vmax.

But (and I missed this important phrase in my first post) IN GENERAL, you don't require a special twist rate with the Barnes/GMX bullets like you would with a Warner/cutting edge/PVA/etc. ELR bullet, where your required twist rate will be radically tighter than with typical cup&core bullets of the same caliber.

Reactions: swarrick
I am at work right now but I can get back with you this evening.

I shot a few of these today, starting at 39.5 grains Varget and going up by .5 to 41.5. I didn’t notice any ejector swipe or bolt lift issues so I have at least a little room to work upward still. However, these groups really sucked IMO. I did 3 shot groups and had some good sd’s but can’t really use as a data point because 3 shots isn’t a good sample size. My COAL was 2.78; which I used instead of an ogive measurement because I understood ogive measurements on monolithic can be problematic with most comparators (I did not try mine). None of these loads were compressed in my Lapua brass.

I’m curious what length you were loading, so I can try a few of what worked well for you with the loads that gave decently consistent velocity for me today. Hopefully I can shrink the groups some. FWIW, the 110 hammer hunters seemed to shoot a little better today than the PVA Cayuga 122’s I tried also, but again this was a really small sample size so I’m not ruling them out.

I shot a few of these today, starting at 39.5 grains Varget and going up by .5 to 41.5. I didn’t notice any ejector swipe or bolt lift issues so I have at least a little room to work upward still. However, these groups really sucked IMO. I did 3 shot groups and had some good sd’s but can’t really use as a data point because 3 shots isn’t a good sample size. My COAL was 2.78; which I used instead of an ogive measurement because I understood ogive measurements on monolithic can be problematic with most comparators (I did not try mine). None of these loads were compressed in my Lapua brass.

I’m curious what length you were loading, so I can try a few of what worked well for you with the loads that gave decently consistent velocity for me today. Hopefully I can shrink the groups some. FWIW, the 110 hammer hunters seemed to shoot a little better today than the PVA Cayuga 122’s I tried also, but again this was a really small sample size so I’m not ruling them out.
What kind of groups were you getting that sucked? How's it compare to your best groups in the same gun?

What kind of groups were you getting that sucked? How's it compare to your best groups in the same gun?

Not even close to Berger hybrid’s, which consistently can be in the .3 mean radius at 100 yds same gun, same case, same primer, same dies. They were bad enough I didn’t even bother taking pictures. So I’m going to estimate 1.5+ MOA mean radius, being generous.

I will say the hammer hunters were extremely concentric. I measured half thousandth on 3 samples after seating, measuring directly in front of the front-most ‘band’ on the bullet. The Cayugas were 1.5 thou, which is similar if not slightly better than most Berger lots I’ve checked. Accuracy One gauge, mitutoyo indicator.

The next set I try I think, unless swarrick changes my mind, I’m going to seat just a bit deeper for a little jump; at 2.78 I’m awful close to the lands right now if not kissing them at the ogive.