• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Montana Bullet Works

leatherman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I know most every body shoots jacketed bullets from there rifle's, but has any body had experience with a cast 308 for hunting? I have shot and taken Elk with the Garret Cast Loads (44) Mag, while stationed at Ft. Lewis, but haven't tried them in a 308. Have slugged the barrel, is .308 so I ordered some 173 LFN GC in .309, as per Daves recommendation. I just finished my little Scout rifle setup and was going to try some cast to see how she shoots. This is not a rifle for shooting sub min groups, but hunting, but sub min groups would be overly outstanding, so Just checking to see if any body has reloaded cast bullets for there 308.

Thanks

Re: Montana Bullet Works

No reason why it should not work within ethical hunting ranges. Contrary to what the gun and scope sellers will tell you, most Elk are taken pretty close in. If you can duplicate a 30-30 load with a 170-180 grain cast bullet (+-2000fps) you can kill any Elk you can get within 125 yards of with a broadside shot. 4198, with some filler if necessary, (usually is) is the powder of choice for most applications.
This is my new NEI 210 gr 308 mold/bullet that is going in my 300 H&H Highwall to duplicate the 30-40 Krag which killed a ton of big game back in the day.( 220 gr at about 1900-2000 fps.)
Buy the Lyman cast bullet book as there are some tricks (like using a neck expander) to get lead to work.

DSCN2786.jpg

DSCN2785.jpg

pix2288302921.jpg

Re: Montana Bullet Works

Mr. Humble,

Thanks for the reply, great looking bullet. Althouth I'm only going to be hunting Oklahoma Whitetails, now. Wish I were still in WA, would love to hunt Elk again. Gonna try and find the Lyman Cast Book this week.

I was just trying to get an idea if any body else has had good luck with the gas checked cast bullets in there bolt 308's.