• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Montana Camp and Shoot Help

tuckner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
I'm planning a five day camping trip for someplace in Montana. It's going to be myself and my brother, whom we haven't seen each other in a few years. We both are going to drive and meet in Montana and do a camp and shoot. I need help picking a suitable place for what we are looking to do.

I would like something with some tree coverage and removed from other campers, or hikers, or any traffic. Preferably the spot would have running water in the area that we can purify. We want to be shooting up to 1000 yards from our camp zone in a safe direction on public land. Would like some sort of a hospital within a half hour to 45 mins on the road if possible, while still retaining cell coverage.

It's pretty much a rugged trip, bring all our food in and purify water from a nearby source as well as camp below the stars and not be bothered while we hammer off a lot of rounds.

He recently got into firearms and picked up an AR15 so I want to show him the ropes and do some training with that as well.

So, for all those out there, what would be an ideal area to look for a site?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: Montana Camp and Shoot Help

There are some people on here from mt debos Dave, Montana marine, would suggest looking then up n pming them. That n look in the member link up

If you come through the Billings area, PM me. I'll try and put you two into the right area..

As far as a hospital, I don't want to be up in the mountains where if one were to get injured in any way that I couldn't get someone help. We will be working with firearms and being in an unfamiliar area it might be prudent to think ahead of that possibility.

Neither of us are from the area so any spot you point us to would be taken under advisement.

Half hour from hospital, cell phone coverage, privacy, long range shooting facility, running water, yup thats what I'd call a pretty rugged trip. Any other requirements? Paved roads, pleasant weather, no wind, no bugs, no grizzled bears?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Half hour from hospital, cell phone coverage, privacy, long range shooting facility, running water, yup thats what I'd call a pretty rugged trip. Any other requirements? Paved roads, pleasant weather, no wind, no bugs, no grizzled bears? </div></div>

Don't forget the mandatory espresso stand and hair salon.

You guys must live to be smart asses. Running water or a water supply as in a place to gather from a stream or river, and by long range shooting, I mean open country not a range facility. I guess nobody goes out camping in Montana on public land that comes close to the requirements.

A helpful response would sound something like:

"If you go on the north side of XXXX National Forrest along the XXXX river you can find the type of country you are looking for. I've done some good back country hunting in that area and you will be able to stretch out and shoot without a problem. The city of XXXX is within driving distance just in case. Hope you have a good time."

A good way not to go to the hospital, don't do anything fuckin stupid to put you there. I hear motel 6 has good running water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys must live to be smart asses. Running water or a water supply as in a place to gather from a stream or river, and by long range shooting, I mean open country not a range facility. I guess nobody goes out camping in Montana on public land that comes close to the requirements.

A helpful response would sound something like:

"If you go on the north side of XXXX National Forrest along the XXXX river you can find the type of country you are looking for. I've done some good back country hunting in that area and you will be able to stretch out and shoot without a problem. The city of XXXX is within driving distance just in case. Hope you have a good time." </div></div>

OK.
If you drive on I-90 to east Missoula and take the Reserve Street exit and go 1 mile south... there is a Motel 6. You and your brother can get water from the Breakfast Bar. There is a hospital and cell phone coverage.. You can set up cans next to their dumpster as targets. If you get there between check out time and check in time... you will have the place to yourselves. Hope you have a good time.

What a bunch of assholes!!
wink.gif
I am not sure I have never been there but good luck!

Well it's kinda like this, I don't think I've ever camped within a half hours drive of a hospital,nor camped where there was cell phone service. Guess I just don't qualify as a tour guide. Want to take back my merit badge? Maybe try the mountains of Iowa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Well it's kinda like this, I don't think I've ever camped within a half hours drive of a hospital,nor camped where there was cell phone service</span>. Guess I just don't qualify as a tour guide. Want to take back my merit badge? Maybe try the mountains of Iowa. </div></div>

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Cheers pimpgun

True Montana is rather large and there are only a few hospitals. I have never worried about such a thing when camping but... of course I dont ever think that I am ever going to get hurt either I guess?

That was my ideal type of spot. Montanta being so sparse and large I guess I don't have a good understanding of the area. I thought that there are a few cities that you can drive away from and in a short amount of time you would be in the country. Fuck me for assuming or trying to learn more. Listen, I'll try to find some information from someplace else, where people don't feel the need to practice for their comedic career.

Coming from the Marines I am just accustomed to covering all bases, and one of those things was a safety brief and having an idea of what to do if someone is injured. I'm camping out of state and working with firearms with someone who doesn't have any experience with them. There is no intention of getting hurt, but if something were to happen I don't want to be left with my dick in my hand in the wilds.

Now for all you people who base your entire ego and life on your Sniper's Hide persona, I get it. You get a self esteem boost when you can crack skulls on the Hide because you must have been picked on as a kid or Daddy didn't give enough hugs.

If you can't give a general tip on what is a good area to do this then give it a rest and excuse me for simply inquiring to what I still think is a mostly good group of guys who are knowledgeable about all things shooting.

In NW Montana is Troy, MT. There is a Public Range North of town and I think its a 500yd range. There is a Hospital close by and plenty of public land to hike and camp. The Trout fishing is excellent this time of year so bring your fishing pole. Hope this helps, Mike.