• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Montana LR Event, (After Action Report).

idahojay

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2008
Idaho Falls, Idaho
To all that attended I want to say THANK YOU for all your help, support and friendship. I had a great time and realy learned a lot from you all and look forward to shooting with you again. It was worth every minute of the 18 hour round trip drive!!! I also learned what areas I need to work on first and that some gear change ups are required (mama not pleased about that). Watching some of you boys shoot and the way you work together to make hits was realy impressive. The well of knowledge you all have is very deep and thank you again for letting me drink from that well. Good shooting guys!!!

The weather Saturday on Augustis Ranch was Beautiful with eleven shooters, low winds no higher than 8mph and clear sunny day. The winds switching around rapidly and settiling down to no concern most of the time. First rounds went down range at 9:45am and the last went at 8:30pm. A long day yes but that was because we spent much more time joking and smoking than shooting. But the knowledge gained was fanominal!

Sunday the weather was not to good but thats all part of real world shooting. Spotty rain and snow showers with gusty wind but again not real bad. We were moving along much faster Sunday and I was shooting better than Saturday I am sure from things I learned the previous day. Charlie and I desided to leave after shooting position four out of seven to start the drive home. I wish I would have stayed to see how my score improved from the previous day.

Many of the firing positions you are in a slight body down hill position shooting down, level and slight up hill. This down hill position was new to me and took some getting used too. I have a sore neck to attest to this fact. But again doing better on Sunday than Saturday.

Augustis Ranch is a little piece of heven here on earth that couldent be more ideally suited for the purpose Richard (the owner) is using it for. He has spent a lot of time and money building reactive and non-reactive steel targets for us to shoot. The live firing portion of the ranch has a large valley running up it North & South with steep walls approx 200yd deep. Then many steep walled draws running from one side to the East. The firing positions are set on top mostly on the West side of the valley. The targets are setup from the valley floor and running up these draws. So when your done at one FP you move up the ridge to the next FP and start hitting targets up that draw. You also move down to the valley floor for two FP down there. FP # 1 as Richard says is designed to strip your dignity, the winds are realy tricky on this one, but drilled it on Sunday much much better than Saturday, again thanks to what I had learned the previous day.

Where there is no setup organization or club at Augustis Ranch we all need to help him with time, labor and or donations so he can finish his dream out there for all of us to enjoy and prosper from. In most clubs you have ten percent of the people doing ninty percent of the work. Lets all quite saying I WISH I HAD A GOOD PLACE TO SHOOT MATCH'S and help Richard build this place up. Of all the shoots I have been to over the years this was by far the most enjoyable for LR Precision real word shooting!!! Richard has a lot of real good ideas for the ranch that would realy be fun to shoot but most importantley the real world training it would provide.

I have many faults and one of them is I am real bad at remembering names so I have been refraining from using them in this post. But I have to say to Joe and Kris, watching you two shoot and spot for each other as a fluid team was a wonder to behold, WOW!!! Thank you for all your help.

To all that dident attend, you realy missed a good oppertunity to learn some new tricks and do some realy fun real world LR precision shooting!

And a special thank you goes out to Richard for all his hard work, help and putting on these match's.

I look forward to shooting with you all again next month and again THANK YOU!

Jay Seaquist

Re: Montana LR Event, (After Action Report).

Great write-up, Jay. It was great to meet you and the others. I have some pics from Sunday that I would be willing to post, if the people in them don't mind (Jay, Charlie, Joe, Chris, Richard, Shannon). PM me if you'r OK with this and I'll get them posted up.

It certainly was a fun time, and I'm planning to be there for the May event as well. Maybe even with some friends. I've shot 1000yd before, but the set-up Richard has there really showed just how tricky wind reading can be, with winds coming in from multiple different angles at different places, including updrafts/boils. You had to put it all together if you planned on hitting that final target at 1060yd.

Thanks Richard (Aug) for putting this all together.

Had a great time as well. Awesome range with some tricky field positions as well.Plus some challenging terrain and wind conditions.
Nice write up Jay! Hope to see you and Charlie next month.
Shawn

Thanks Rich for putting this together, you will be seeing more of me and Joe! Had a great time and enjoyed shooting with you guys. Great match and great people. Jay and Charlie it was good meeting/shooting with you guys and hope to see you again soon!

Chris

Here are some pics from Sunday:

Station 1 (666yd & 1005yd)
dsc0820.jpg

Jay & Charlie
300WM seemed to be the caliber of the day.
dsc0823.jpg

Chris--sometimes all that gave his position away was his red hood and the smoke from his rifle.
dsc0824.jpg

dsc0829.jpg

Spotting some of the shots
dsc0825.jpg

Chris and Joe @ Station 7 (1060yd, 2 different wind directions and a boil right before the target)
dsc0831.jpg

dsc0832.jpg

dsc0833.jpg

If I could make the May shoot what are the dates and where would I fly in? This looks like a lot of fun!

Nice pics. Looks like a great time. Really wanted to make it back there this time.

Hoping to be able to make it in May. I'm going through a bit of a rough patch with the ol' back though. Think I ruptured another disk.......

Wow i wish i really could of made it...an boy that chris guy sure looks familiar where have i seen him? just joking chris... next time your in conrad u have to look me up so joe u an i can go shoot... Joe an Chris are good ppl... wish i coulda been their to shoot with them and all the rest of you... I will be up in may hopefully with my friend dusty so all of u all dont get to have all the fun.
YG

John;
Thanks for posting the pic's. See ya the end of may.

Tackleberry;
PM Augustis and he will give you the low down. I think it's Billings but not positive.

Great pics, really wish I could have made it also. My favorite place to shoot. I am planning on May with no interuptions so far.

Thank's again Aug,had a real good time.

Great write up Jay. You and Charlie should have stuck around a little longer. Aug,Shannon and Chris fired a few rounds with the .375 before we left at a mile. That bucket won't hold water anymore.

Was a pleasure meeting the ones that made it out. Looking forward to next month.

TRGR

Beautiful pictures. Sat. seems like it was a beautiful day!

Sunday was cold, rainy & even snowed on us. No complaints. This is real world shooting. This event showed me that I have LOTS to learn about long range shooting. Bring it on!

Thank you all for attending the April AR event! It was great to see some of my old friends that I have shot with in past years, and to meet new people with similar interests including those entering this craft who were willing to come out and shoot with us, who may someday take developed marksmanship skill as seriously as we do, come hell or high water, even if the conditions are not perfect... That is real life shooting....

I am humbled and given pause by all the kind words everyone, especially Jay has given for my efforts to promote LR field shooting to those that have the desire to learn. With that said, I must give a lot of credit to the other experienced shooters that attended that are only to willing to share their experience and knowledge with those presently developing the needed skills and developed knowledge to engage LR-UKD targets on demand!

I see myself offering opportunity and volume to the public, but it is those that attend that share that wealth of knowledge that make this event what it is.

Chris (Smokin99) set a NEW course record this past weekend, 55 completed hits out of 62 possible! Joe (Trgrman) will, I am SURE will be gunning for his title back in May and doing his wind dance to give him the edge if any... Chris being his shooting partner, I am sure is a handy wind doper as well ;O)

Yup, we shot extreme LR with one of the WONDERFUL heavy rifles Joe builds and provided for us to appreciate. We shot at an actual distance of 1645 yards in a wind condition peaking out at roughly 15 MPH - full value. I do believe I made a second round hit on the target with the help of this precision stick and a good spotter, thanks Joe!
The target was a little over an upper torso in size. I was very impressed with the accuracy of this ELR weapon system Joe built and provided for our shooting pleasure. I am further convinced that weapon system gave us the greater advantage for this ELR engagement.

I look forward to seeing you guys again next month! Until Then...

Best Regards, Aug ><>