• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Montana LR Event- Augustis Ranch

Augustis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2004
Montana
If you are new to the sport of LR shooting this is the event for you to develop and learn this skill in a casual setting! My course will challenge novice and expert alike on a practical field course... No conventional rifle range setting here!

I am considering 2 events this spring that will be open to the public this year. Potentially one event at the end of April, and the other at the end of May. These will be the typical casual shooting format. PR marksmen will engage reactive steel targets from 150 to almost 1100 yards on 7 different courses of fire that have been established to test your knowledge and ability in a real life live fire setting so you may determine your own strength and weakness for future marksmanship development that will allow you to grow from this shooting experience.

The cost will be $45.00 for the day and you should bring about 100 rounds of ammunition, including all of the equipment to support your rifle platform. The catch is you are also required to carry your support gear under your own power on this course of fire.

Pictures of past events:

http://www.precisionrifle.org/gallery/

I hope to see you there if the interest supports this event.

Aug ><>

Re: Montana LR Event- Augustis Ranch

it sounds like a good time, i'm pretty far away so will probably have to pass this time but i am always looking for good places to shoot, have fun...

Please PM me with info. Is it open to any caliber rifle, up hill, downhill, any distance anywhere. Where is it located? Thanks

Could you e-mail the approximate location? Thanks for putting this together. Your pics make it look like a great time.

The Ranch is located between Harlow and Rygate Montana, 7 miles south off Hwy 12,out of Barber Montana. The location is about 1 hour out of Billings, and 2 hours from Bozeman. This event is a great opportunity to shoot and develop LR marksmanship skills in a "field" shooting environment.

It is encouraging to see a few people interested in making this event happen again this year.

Aug ><>

Coyote 3

The rifle should be a field practical platform, shoulder fired and must be humped under your own power, including all the other equipment to support your rifle platform. One way, the course distance is about one mile to shoot the 7 stages.

Aug ><>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It'll be interesting to see if the .308 will ring it at 1100. All things considered. ;-) </div></div>

Weda

It is more than possible for a .308 to reach targets at extended ranges with the right bullet/load combination... Here is one of my young students who made such a shot in front of everyone on his squad on my field course in 2007:

http://www.precisionrifle.org/2007-Results/June-2007.html

This was the highlight of my year! Logan was only 13 at the time and one of 3 people who hit anything at distances past 875 yards that day. The wind was a bitch that day ;O)

Aug ><>

Sure would like to come. Kinda need a rough date to schedule. Pics make it look fun. Thanks...

I would certainly like to get out, it will depend on work situation, if it is a one day deal it is easier for me, but would like to be kept in the loop on this one.

Dave

Would like to make it to one of them if the dates fall in the right time frames

I'd love to make it. It would depend on dates, as work and other responsibilities are already filling in the gaps. That sure is a beautiful area though.

Is this a comp or a class? Either way it would be good to get out and shoot with some fellow Hide members.

John, it's a great time. Kinda like going shooting with friends, but a really nice and challenging course. The competition is there, but not at a high intensity. The event I attended I think we had 11 shooters, divided into two squads, So it's like five in a group walking, talking, shooting, We tended to help each other out with ranging, spotting, wind calls etc. No timers. Safety was never compromised though. A great low-pressure competition to test yourself and equipment.

Sounds awesome. I'll try to make it if I can. Still trying to work up a load for my rifle. Wish the weather would cooperate.

If you have a decent sub-moa load, don't fret it too much. Find a place to prove your 1000 yard drop, and a couple intermediate distances, tweak it through JBM or other software to match up, and record a 25 yard interval drop chart out to 1100 yards or so. The wind will be the bigger challenge.

I'm in for one for sure but hopefully both. Any idea on actual dates yet?

Question from a recent PM:
.............................................................................................
Augustis, what's the possibility of organizing this event on a Sunday? I would love to come, but I won't be able to make it on a Saturday. If you can't do this for whatever reason, I understand. I'll enjoy reading about it and looking at the pictures. Thanks.
..................................................................................

Reply to PM:

If this event comes to pass I was considering running each event 2 consecutive days each. In other words, each event will be on Saturday AND Sunday for each month.

This should accommodate everyone who wants to attend, and those that may want to shoot both days.

I will give all this further consideration when I return to Montana, hopefully soon?

Aug ><>

At this point I am venturing to guess that these events would be at the end of each month respectively, third or fourth week. I further suspect I will add some side events for those that may want to shoot both days??
That is about the best I can do at the moment, of course these events will greatly depend on the interest of all of you... I am becoming optimistic by the initial interest you all have expressed in shooting this course of fire!

Thanks, Aug ><>

Aug,

Will you be offering the hunter class also, or will this be just Precision Rifle only. Is the course of fire similar to what we shot in 2007, or have you recreated the stages?
thanks

Neal

i'll be in Moab the end of April, but i'll make it over for the May shoot. sounds like great fun.

Neal

Sorry for the late reply, I am out of the area. The course of fire will be similar to what has been presented in past years. In the interest of time management I was considering PR only, but anyone is welcome to shoot the course. As you already know the focus of the event is to develop personal field shooting skills, to allow the marksman to evaluate personal strengths and isolate areas of weakness for future training in the field of LR marksmanship development for self improvement and data development, and typically not geared to stringent comp rules (other than the stringent safety considerations) or reasonable time limitations that will be covered in the shooters briefing this year.

Regards, Aug ><>

Thanks.

When you get the dates nailed down I will know if I can make it work. Will try to get to one of them if at all possible. I would most likley shoot PR but had a friend who is just getting started and was interested in the hunter targets.

Neal

I'm hoping to be back in MT for a bit by the end of May. I'll attend if i can.

Regards,
Maarten

Augustis, I will probably be able to come up for the end of April shoot. Will try to bring a couple additional shooters from this part of Wyoming -- please keep me posted.
Best,
James

Augustis,
If there is still room I would be interested. It would depend on the dates and if i can get the time off work i would be there for sure.
PM inbound

OK the interest appears to exist for this event and so I better start paying attention to this thread. I am sorry for the delay but I have been slammed with other obligations since returning home after being away for almost 6 weeks.

At this point we are under the assumption that this event is going to come to pass and the dates are as follows:

25 & 26th of April - 30 & 31 of May. Registration is open! Email me @ [email protected] or PM from this site.

I have never exceeded the limit in past years, however attendance will be limited to 35 shooters per day.

You are welcome to park campers, or pitch tents at the ranch if you are planning to shoot both days at no charge for dry camping. If anyone needs phone numbers for hotels let me know and I will see what I can do in this area.

Sorry, but if you are camping on site there will NO alcoholic beverages permitted! Further we can plan for BBQ's or other group evening activities if anyone is interested, including late afternoon - early evening shooting activities also?

Aug ><>

Augustis, good talking to you the other day. They can't make me work the weekends so I should be able to make the matches or at least one.
How about 308 one day and 7WSM the other, hmmm... I'm trying to talk a couple people into making it. Seeding is around the corner here so I we'll see if I can get any new comers.

I have shoot at Augustis's ranch a number of times and it is a great place to learn. Directions change, wind changes, land profile changes, angles change, light changes, temp changes, barometric pressure changes, you'll can get it all at his ranch. Don't let it intimidate anyone though. Even misses can teach a person a lot. Plus, just look at all the excuses for missing
wink.gif

Maybe a glow stick night match??, with bets. Max bet is each others rifle package, but you have to let the other finish the matches before taking it home
wink.gif

Montana

If you can make it you can bunk with me in the camper (You get the couch) Yes a glow stick match could be a good possibility for an early evening side event, I would be game for it.

Folks, this is YOUR event and you get out of it what you put into it... ideas are welcome

I was also thinking, if vendors want to show their shooting related products at the event, contact me in advance and I can accommodate you with dry shelter at the ranch to set up a booth for a nominal charge, or if you wish you can also be a sponsor the event?

Longshot, bring some of your heavy rifles down for people to shoot after the match?

Aug ><>

I think my rifle will be done in time for me to make the May event. If it is you can count me in for that one.

Also "montana" mentioned a 308 one day and a 7wsm the other. Will I still be able to shoot with just a 260?

I only mentioned 308 and 7WSM because those are 2 of MY rifles I will be shooting. I believe you can shoot what you want up to a certain caliber. As past rules go, don't know what the plans are now. We can always hope for the big stuff to be allowed. I can out shoot those also so no worries here ;0

Hunter class had rules for adjustable turrets and bipods ect..
I vote allow what ever and the people who don't feel confident with the longer range stuff can still shoot hunter class. As done in match near Missoula, seems to work well there.

Aug,
I'll be there. Will bring one maybe two more.

I'll have some fodder loaded up for the .375 & .50 cal possibly.Can I use my 338 this time or are you going to make me shoot my 300 Win again?

TRGR

What do you think about having an iron sight class. i've got a nation match M1 i'd like to play around with a little. BTW I'm up around Chester and have driven through that area several times and you should time it for hunting season. Those deer are thick as fleas

Brass, I know you are not calving, you are a farmer, what you doing at 1:32am? Eating cheetos? Never mind, I don't wanna know.

TRGR

It will be good to see you again! I KNOW you are not under gunned with the 300WM. (remember I have seen you shoot) The .338 will be very hard on the steel that is already getting tired. I guess I would have to say bring both and we will see what we can do ;O)

Brass
Sorry the course is not designed for several multiple classes. If you want to shoot steel sights, no problem as long as you can clear the course of fire within a reasonable amount of time. Remember this is not as much about out shooting the other guy as it is about growing from the experience for your future marksmanship development i.e. data development and doing your personal best with what you have to work with.

Chew
Just a .260?? You are not under gunned ballistically IMO, but the fact still remains, how are you ever going to know for yourself unless you experience this event for yourself?? Hands on experience is the best teacher in life!

Aug ><>

Hey there montana

I'm in Denver right now. My 7 year old is in the Childrens Hospital and I was up doing some web surfing and thought I would check the forums out a little. I've got a really nice auction I want to get. 1700 lbs of 7.62x54 and 1720 lbs of 5.56 all LC and all in way beter shape than the last stuff. Going to be able to sell that stuff by weight it's so nice, no blanks, no machine guns, nice brass looked through it for almost an hour. Anyways should be home in about a week, I'll drop in and see ya.

Rob, sounds good. I'll hopfully see you shortly, with your son back at home. I just heard he got phemonia bad. I would be up at 1:30 am also if my son was in the hospital in Denver. God Bless.

Augustis,
I will be there as long as I can convince the boss to let me take the end of may off.
How many round will be required for the 2 day event?

Tye

Tye

Typically the course of fire will consist of roughly 65 to 70 rounds per day, but I would recommend you come with extra in case we get some side events going.

Shooters:
At this point I would request that if you intend to come to this event, please send me an email, or PM with your name, address, an emergency contact number and the date and or dates you plan to shoot the event. This will help me out by allowing me to keep track of attendees for each day and plan accordingly. Thanks!

John, Email inbound.

Aug ><>

I'm in for 25 Apr. Look forward to meeting/shooting with whoever else can make it.

I'll be tossin' 208 AMax's out of my trusty '06.