• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Montana shooting competitions?

KMAT86

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2022
Montana
Hello, a buddy and I are currently looking to find competitive shooting matches similar to prs and elr in Montana and surrounding states. If anyone one is aware of any matches available to public or new members please send any and all info you might have. Much appreciated.

Hello, a buddy and I are currently looking to find competitive shooting matches similar to prs and elr in Montana and surrounding states. If anyone one is aware of any matches available to public or new members please send any and all info you might have. Much appreciated.
Yes. There are many matches under the WPR western precision rifle league. Check their website out.

There are also matches in western North Dakota and South Dakota that you might be interested in depending on how far west in Montana that you live. There is also NRL hunter match in Montana and North Dakota this season along with Cody wyoming.

@KMAT86 https://www.westernprecisionrifle.org/match-schedule
This is the start of the 2023 schedule. Many more matches will be added all over montana. It’s free to be a member. Also follow on Facebook and Instagram, lots of updates will be there also.
There are several Team Challenge matches in MT under the Rifleman’s Team Challenge league. Find it on Facebook, schedule is posted there. One NRL Hunter match that I am aware of in Belt MT.

Reactions: DIBBS
Yes. There are many matches under the WPR western precision rifle league. Check their website out.

There are also matches in western North Dakota and South Dakota that you might be interested in depending on how far west in Montana that you live. There is also NRL hunter match in Montana and North Dakota this season along with Cody wyoming.
Awesome, thanks for the response. I'll definitely be looking into these.

@KMAT86 https://www.westernprecisionrifle.org/match-schedule
This is the start of the 2023 schedule. Many more matches will be added all over montana. It’s free to be a member. Also follow on Facebook and Instagram, lots of updates will be there also.
There are several Team Challenge matches in MT under the Rifleman’s Team Challenge league. Find it on Facebook, schedule is posted there. One NRL Hunter match that I am aware of

Is the WPR league one that you must compete in all events to place, or is it set by each shoot?

There’s also a precision rimfire league with multiple clubs across the state and ID, ND, SD, and WY. A lot of the guys also shoot in the WPR series for centerfire. Lots of fun in both leagues.

There are a bunch of good team and individual big gun matches around. AEM Precision out of Jordan, Montana hosted a match for a bunch of years, and the S3 Sniper challenge around the Bozeman area was a match I RO'd a couple times. Warhorse Development hosted a match too, though I never attended myself.

Reactions: KMAT86
Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas have a tremendous number of matches these days..
As Stated, WPR Western Precision Rifle series are 1 day events for points. There are matches in several states.. Some are monthly events others are 1 offs.

Rifle Team Challenge. RTC
As stated... look them up on Facebook. Or Riflesticks.com
Most are April through June.
They are a team event and many of them allow individual shooters. Need to check with each event.
The NF ELR is in WY in June
Heart Mountain is a 2 day individual event in Cody WY in June. It is non affiliated benefit match. Look up Heart Mountain challenge

If your on the west side.. WA and Idaho have many events, including PRS points events
North and South Dakota also have some PRS events.

Reactions: DIBBS
In western North Dakota I am hosting the NRLHUNTER match May 26th-28th. There is also one in Belt MT and in WY and ID. Also there are a bunch of matches in MT depending on where you live or are willing to travel to.

Cool to see a lot of great matches in that area.

I believe there's also an ELR "benchrest" type match in Montana, or at least there was recently when Alex Wheeler was located there.

There's a NRL Hunter One(single day) match by Chester in April.

Most of the MT matches are pretty laid back as well. Heart Mountain is stellar. Probably the best run match on one of the best pieces of land around. Most of the guys are regulars you see at every match and are good dudes. I go to about 3 or so a year depending on my schedule and I look forward to them. I usually bring my camper and just camp at or near the site, makes for a fun camping trip.

There are still some spots open for the nrlhunter 2day match by Hebron ND. And if you have a youth shooter they can shoot for free with a paid adult slot. There is also a special prize just for them (pretty dang good one too)

Are there any PRS matches around Whitefish/Eureka or within 2ish hours of the Canadian border? Thanks

Upcoming WPR matches
7/8 in Reed Point
7/15 in Cody

NRL hunters in Cody, Douglas, and Laramie Wyoming this summer.

WPR Finale next weekend in Sheridan, WY. Two spots left. Going to be an awesome event with a longer COF then usually available at Sheridan County Sportman's Club. 385yds-1265yds.

If you're interested in PRS/NRL22 style Rimfire, 8/19 there are matches in Lewistown, Cody, and Sheridan. Then the following weekend in Glasgow and Williston, ND

Then there is the WPR September Steel match in Sheridan, WY on 9/2

It's still in the works but it looks like there might be a WPR night match in Cody again this year. Probably early October. This match is absolutely awesome to shoot. If you haven't shot a suppressed night match yet, you should add it to your list of events to try once.

Also heard there is going to be a rimfire night match in Billings around Halloween put on by Precision Rimfire Outlaws. This was a great match last year. Even had targets out to 325yds at night with a 22LR!

WPR Finale next weekend in Sheridan, WY. Two spots left. Going to be an awesome event with a longer COF then usually available at Sheridan County Sportman's Club. 385yds-1265yds.

If you're interested in PRS/NRL22 style Rimfire, 8/19 there are matches in Lewistown, Cody, and Sheridan. Then the following weekend in Glasgow and Williston, ND

Then there is the WPR September Steel match in Sheridan, WY on 9/2

It's still in the works but it looks like there might be a WPR night match in Cody again this year. Probably early October. This match is absolutely awesome to shoot. If you haven't shot a suppressed night match yet, you should add it to your list of events to try once.

Also heard there is going to be a rimfire night match in Billings around Halloween put on by Precision Rimfire Outlaws. This was a great match last year. Even had targets out to 325yds at night with a 22LR!
How do these night matches work, known ranges with IR illuminated targets with NV sights? Heated targets with thermals?

How do these night matches work, known ranges with IR illuminated targets with NV sights? Heated targets with thermals?
So the firing line is dark. Red or green head lamps only. Glow sticks. The targets are either individually lit with small work lights or a tower light or two for some stages. Cody had two big tower work lights for the center of the range but there were other targets all over with small lights. Even out to 1138yds. It’s a fully suppressed match with a suppressor sponsor for loaner cans if you don’t have one.

The rimfire match I remember had all of the targets individually lit as the average target is pretty small.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
So the firing line is dark. Red or green head lamps only. Glow sticks. The targets are either individually lit with small work lights or a tower light or two for some stages. Cody had two big tower work lights for the center of the range but there were other targets all over with small lights. Even out to 1138yds. It’s a fully suppressed match with a suppressor sponsor for loaner cans if you don’t have one.

The rimfire match I remember had all of the targets individually lit as the average target is pretty small.
So........just shooting in the dark with standard magnified optics at illuminated targets, sounds cool.

So........just shooting in the dark with standard magnified optics at illuminated targets, sounds cool.
Yep yep. It’s also not hot as hell on the line.

They’re doing a full 2 night PRS this weekend in OK called Silent Night. Should be pretty similar. Handful of folks I’ve talked to have been real excited to go shoot it. So having a local match opportunity is awesome.
I’ll keep this page updated with info as I find out more. They’ve done it for like 5 years, but still working out details this year.

Yep yep. It’s also not hot as hell on the line.

They’re doing a full 2 night PRS this weekend in OK called Silent Night. Should be pretty similar. Handful of folks I’ve talked to have been real excited to go shoot it. So having a local match opportunity is awesome.
I’ll keep this page updated with info as I find out more. They’ve done it for like 5 years, but still working out details this year.
I've got my 12# gt shooting really well with the ultra7 on it, so might have to head down to Cody for that, should be fun. Plus if it's early Oct, beats rifle opener, I'm in!

Reactions: Rippey715
I've got my 12# gt shooting really well with the ultra7 on it, so might have to head down to Cody for that, should be fun. Plus if it's early Oct, beats rifle opener, I'm in!
The Cody night match is well done. Rippey addressed it well. Vs a standard PRS style match you'll want a red or green headlamp, mini glow sticks, and make sure you're lit reticle has a fresh battery. Cross your fingers the wind isn't crazy as sometimes the backdrop isn't illuminated.

The Cody night match is well done. Rippey addressed it well. Vs a standard PRS style match you'll want a red or green headlamp, mini glow sticks, and make sure you're lit reticle has a fresh battery. Cross your fingers the wind isn't crazy as sometimes the backdrop isn't illuminated.
Thanks Carl, you headed to Sheridan in a week?

I’m hoping to be at Sheridan on Friday for the side stages. Trying to make my 308 hit 1307yds….
Talking to the Sheridan guys this summer, the match sounds like it’s going to be awesome. The stages are set up to be going from the trap shooting area over to the normal lo range field. So stretching across the valley. Stoked to check it out.

Are there any PRS matches around Whitefish/Eureka or within 2ish hours of the Canadian border? Thanks

I'm actually shocked with the lack of a long range clubs and shoots in the flathead Valley. Tons of money and lots of major manufacturers in the industry around Kalispell.

Somebody needs to get Gogan or Foley hooked on PRS/NRL!

I'm actually shocked with the lack of a long range clubs and shoots in the flathead Valley. Tons of money and lots of major manufacturers in the industry around Kalispell.

Somebody needs to get Gogan or Foley hooked on PRS/NRL!
A guy I know is working on that. Still a few years out unfortunately, if it even happens.

WPR Finale in Sheridan was absolutely awesome! Sheridan guys totally killed it on the COF and expanding the venue.

Going to be another match in Sheridan on 9/2. Its called September Steel on Practiscore. Also want to go check out the WyCo series for the Rawlins, Great Divide Bullet Beat Down. Looks like the last match they have for the year is Sunday 10/15.

Heading up to Lewistown this weekend for the CMSC PRO rimfire match.

Hey guys, night match in Cody is on!!!
9/23, sign up starts on 9/1. Loaner cans will be available from Elite Iron from Potomac, MT. He makes some really awesome cans so it’s cool to come down and check them out. It’s going to be part of the WPR series so you can start getting points for the new season. If you have any questions I might be able to answer them so feel free to reach out. Hope some of you guys can make it. Super unique match and a lot of fun.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
New match! Lewistown is going to do a morning madness short match on 9/23 to create a double header Saturday with the Midnight Madness night match in Cody. It’s called the Iron Man 234 if you shoot both matches, as it is 234 miles from Lewistown to Cody. Going to be some special swag and prizes for guys who shoot both. And both matches are for points for the WPR season. It’s going to rad and if you can make it, you totally should.

Bahaha I wish! Sounds like a good time on the Ironman. Rock Lake is hosting the monthly club match that's a 4 hr drive VS the 9 hrs to Cody.

Hoping to make Lewistown, would love to do the Ironman but the schedule won’t allow for it. Pretty cool idea.

Great pic from the night match. I wish I knew who took it because it is awesome and they deserve some credit for such a great pic. WPR main page posted it. The top three individual triangles on the right side are the long range stage at 895, 1138, and 1090 yards. It was an awesome match and Dale from Elite Iron brought a bunch of suppressors for the anyone who did not have one of their own.

There were 17 shooters who shot both and the morning and night match. They made some cool participation trophies for that. That whole day broken down for me was: 500 miles, 24 hours, 14 stages, 143 rounds. Up at 4am to drive from Red Lodge to Lewistown and then all the way back down to Cody, and then back home from Cody just shy of 4am again. It was a long but super rad day. Sounds like it's going to happen again next year so put it on you calendar for end of September beginning of October.

Attachments

• IMG_3806.jpeg
    IMG_3806.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3570.jpeg
    IMG_3570.jpeg
    859.9 KB · Views: 40
Cody tactical turkey match is November 4th and there's not a single window at that range that hasn't been licked for this idea of a double match. In the past it has been a standard WPR points match but with a Tac Class added in as it's own competitive match. Well this year you can shoot both matches!

"For this event there is an option to shoot both the OPEN and TACTICAL Matches!

If a shooter would like to try this they will need two separate rifles, one open and one tactical. The rifles must be in two different calibers and two different bullet diameters. They will register and pay for two matches. They will be able to shoot the stage twice, once with each rifle but not consecutively. Shooters who are competing in both matches will shoot round robin format within their squad, so it will not always be Tac or Open gun first. This is a WPR points match. However; only your top score for either match will count. So whatever your top single match score is would apply to your WPR season standings, not both. Don’t be afraid to bring a gas gun for Tactical and your bolt for Open if you are debating shooting both. We will have a prize for the top combined shooter for both matches."

I put my 308 back together for the Tac match but when they said we could shoot open too, I went back to the 25CM barrel for open and I'm going to shoot my RRA LAR8 16" 308 gas gun in Tac. A truly terrible, absolutely poor, tactical idea. But it should be super fun and I've been really wanting an excuse to try and shoot a gas gun match. Hope some of you guys can make it, I'll bring crayons for and elmers glue for snacks.

Also Next week in Billings on 10/28 is the NRLX 22 Day and Night match. 7 Day followed by 7 night stages. It's at Blue Creek and it's going to be sick. Still spots to sign up on Practiscore.

I try and shoot everything in Lewistown. The guys running it are putting in the effort to make it fun, challenging, and stress free.

Blue Creek is a nice range also. I've been to a few of the pro 406 shoots and they were done well. Plenty of room there also.

One place I haven't been in a long time is Great Falls. Shot a few 3 gun matches and the guys running it would setup and practice all week. Then count their own scores. Then they would make sure anyone of my buddies I went to shoot with would be put on a different squad.

They talked a ton of shit until I finished second without practicing. Then they harassed me about my gear, and threatened to DQ me for running the wrong class (I was using a pump shotgun, as my CZ auto died on the first stage).

Then one of them threw a hissy fit and showered half the parking lot with gravel because he got DQ'd for shooting back at his squad breaking the 180.

After talking with some other members I decided I won't be going back there for any matches.

Any updates on precision style matches in western MT in 24? I saw western precision rifle updated their schedule but I'm wondering if there are any more matches in the Bitterroot area. Can't find much and have searched a few times. It seems like there should be enough shooters around the valley to have a monthly fun match at least.

Any updates on precision style matches in western MT in 24? I saw western precision rifle updated their schedule but I'm wondering if there are any more matches in the Bitterroot area. Can't find much and have searched a few times. It seems like there should be enough shooters around the valley to have a monthly fun match at least.
It doesn't really seem like it currently. Having said that, you should check out the Snake River matches in Idaho and the Parma, ID matches. Little further would be the matches in Rock lake, Wilbur, Benge, and Prosser Washington. I know there are some rimfire matches in northern Idaho out of post falls or sand point so there might be something for centerfire up there as well. If you have a local long range club, reach out to the WPR league and see about getting a match going in the area.

Reactions: Taylorbok