• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Montana Slings by P. Sinclair

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I hear these are the witches tit when it comes to hunting slings. I have a nice hand carved 30.06, and I think this sling would look right at home on a classic rifle like this. I am unsure about 1in vs 1.25in for the sling. What are most people using? Im fairly certain my rifle is well under 10lbs. But I am worried that the 1inch sling may "dig" into my shoulder a bit more than the wider one. Does anyone have any experience with these slings?

Here is the rifle it is going on:

20140615_081031_zpsba3fc510.jpg
[/URL]

Jig,

Get one. You'll like it. I have several and have been using them for years.

They have an ingenious knot design that adjusts very well and won't slip.

Either one will work on your rifle, but if you are concerned with minimizing the weight on your shoulder, I think the inch & one quarter size will work best.

Let us know how it works for you....

I have a 1 1/4". Love it. Simple, effective, well made. Use it on everything from heavy boltguns, sporter, to Marlin levergun.

Using the loop end aft for a hasty loop sling,

Pat is an outstanding gentleman, one heck of a hunter and his slings are very nice.

Your rifle is beautiful and a leather sling would be perfect for that setup.

I would definitely recommend the 1-1/4" sling for it.

Post a picture when you get it installed and some closeups of the rifle too if you don't mind.

Pat is an outstanding gentleman, one heck of a hunter and his slings are very nice.

Your rifle is beautiful and a leather sling would be perfect for that setup.

I would definitely recommend the 1-1/4" sling for it.

Post a picture when you get it installed and some closeups of the rifle too if you don't mind.

Will do. Is the brown version of the sling really "brown"? Most pictures I see of it shows a more "rust" or reddish color. I think I am going for the 1.25in version of it. Sewn i think. The stock started out as a block of claro walnut:

PART_1393098214530_zpsf3ff96a7.jpg
[/URL]

It was hand carved by a gunsmith buddy of mine. All hand checkered. Slight degree of cast off. Monte Carlo style cheek (can't see it in the pictures). Dark claro walnut grip and end caps. Bedded and free floated. BAT HR melonited action. Brux 24in 1:10 twist barrel. Jewell trigger. Talley UL rings. Not sure on the bottom metal. Everything is blued. Standard Zeiss Conquest scope. It hammers too. Bug holds at 100 & 200yds.

20140615_081050_zps7149b26e.jpg
[/URL]

I will post some more pictures in a bit. He took hundreds of pictures documenting the stock through its carving. Its awesome. And I would hate to booger up this gun with a Butler Creek or Uncle Mikes neoprene sling. I think it deserves something classic…leather…and the Montana Sling keeps coming up in all of my searches.

I agree with the above Gents, Pat's slings are awesome. I put one on my 45/70 lever gun. I went with the 1-1/4" as I think it makes my weiner look bigger. :D
Kidding aside, after using the 1-1/4" slings on M1A's over the yrs, a 1" just looks kinda tiny. As mentioned Pat'll treat ya right.
LX

What is the best way to soften it up? My searches are telling me that they can be quite stiff when brand new. And is the "long" version really necessary? I am 6ft tall. Will the standard length be long enough for a comfortable carry?

Last edited:
Pat also has conditioning oil for them, that and normal use oughta do the trick, I swap mine between rifles and my shotty.

What is the best way to soften it up? My searches are telling me that they can be quite stiff when brand new. And is the "long" version really necessary? I am 6ft tall. Will the standard length be long enough for a comfortable carry?

I rubbed a generous amount of olive oil into mine, twice, it softened it right up. I'm 6'3", the standard length seems fine. The long might be more for the folks who are bigger around.

Thanks for the input guys. For you guys who have the "brown" colored one….did you notice that its color darkened up significantly once you rubbed it with oil? I really don't want it looking reddish. If its going to stay red, then Ill opt for the black one.

Mine darked with the oil, but still like a dark medium brown.

If you are wanting something more like chocolate brown, you might need to get some leather dye.

I ordered mine from Mr. Sinclairs website. I like ordering directly from the guys that make the stuff. I went with the black one. I think it will help pull the grain out of my stock a little bit better. Not that it matters. Its not a fashion show! Hope to use it on an upcoming black bear hunt