• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Montana Suppressor Legislation HB205

MTETM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Montana
House Bill 205, sponsored by Representative Krayton Kerns (R-58), would legalize the use of suppressors for all hunting. While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution. The state Senate could vote on HB 205 tomorrow.

Might be a good time to contact your Reps:

leg.mt.gov/css/sessions/63rd/legwebmessage.asps

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity as I don't own a suppressor (yet) or live in Montana (again, yet), does this impact how they are procured or is it now illegal to hunt with a suppressor?

It is currently legal to own a suppressor in MT, but the laws state they can not be used "afield"... No game hunting with them...

If this gets passed, any idea when it would go into effect? I'm headed out there this fall to try and shoot an elk and a mule deer...I'd love to be able to run my 30P-1 on my 300WM while I'm hunting.

House Bill 205, sponsored by Representative Krayton Kerns (R-58), would legalize the use of suppressors for all hunting. While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution. The state Senate could vote on HB 205 tomorrow.

Might be a good time to contact your Reps:

leg.mt.gov/css/sessions/63rd/legwebmessage.asps

MTETM

Sent you a pm.