• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Montana X-treme cleaning rods

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
Anybody use them? My problem with other rods is the handles are too large and they bump up against my stock, forcing the rod down at an angle and potentially damaging the crown, even with a bore guide. By looking at the Montana X-treme rods, they seem to have a nice slim handle but they're $52 and don't even come with a jag. Are they worth it? Thanks.

Not sure if they are worth it, but I have two and haven't had any issues with them unless I created it myself. They spin freely in the handle and have a decent coating on the rod itself. Feel well made, but most of the other high end rods all fit these same traits too.

An another note, I'd avoid their cleaners and solvents. They will burn your nose hairs and who knows what else as soon as the bottle is opened. They deserve to be an industrial cleaner with hazmat suits regardless of if they work or not in my opinion.

Last edited:
Why not get a longer rod? $52 seem reasonable but slightly pricier than comparable rods. I like the Tipton because the rod is made from carbon fiber. You will not have to worry about coating wearing off a steel rod and potentially scratching the barrel.

Montana X-treme cleaning rods

I had a Tipton but my five year-old son thought it would make a good shovel. Just thought I'd look into something with a smaller handle. I have .30 cal bores from 14,5" to 24" so I'm looking more for a 36" which should be ideal. But the 44" is an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up getting a 50" Tipton and a 30" Montana X-treme for my 308 ARs. My first impression of the Montana brand is they are definitely well built. Maybe a bit overdone. Great ball-bearing handle, rock-solid rod and quality manufactured. But for paying over $50, you might be better off with a Dewey, Boretech, or Tipton to be easier on your wallet. The Montana X-treme are like the Porsche or cleaning rods. You're going to pay a lot but you are going to get quality. But, you probably don't need all that quality and can do with something more affordable and be just fine. But you're going to get your money's worth.